Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Fusilier

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Scalyback

Even more great stuff chaps. Great to see Whippets and Mark V*II(take your pick) together expands the tank war for me.

Lancashire Fusilier

Here we see a Medium Mark A Tank and its crew, this tank has the unusual marking of ' H.M.L.S. ' for His Majesty's Land Ship, I have see this marking before on some heavy tanks, but not on a Whippet.

Also, two small spot lights have been fitted to the front of the tank.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-04715600-1397308299_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

Another good photo showing the method used for stowing additional fuel for the Medium Mark A Tank, with petrol cans strapped to nose of the tank directly over the armoured housing for the fuel tank.

Whilst this additional fuel storage method put the petrol cans at risk of being ignited by enemy rifle fire, it was probably considered the safest place for the petrol cans being it was the furthest position from the crew compartment, and the Whippet's fuel tank in the nose of the tank was heavily armoured.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-37920100-1397308990_thumb.j

ifanlloyd

Many thanks for the scale drawing of the Peerless. Have you any more pic's of the Austin ambulance ?????

Lancashire Fusilier

During WW1 it is estimated that less that 15 British Medium A ' Whippet ' Tanks were captured by the Germans, and only one is known to have been taken into Germany for use by the Freikorps in Berlin during 1919.

Attached is a photo, which if genuine, shows a British Medium A Tank captured and used by the Germans, showing their ' Iron Cross ' marking. It would appear that this tank was presumably re-captured by the British, as in the photograph the tank appears to be out of action.

Also attached is an artist's impression of a Whippet tank captured and used by the Germans.

The one British Medium Mark A tank documented as having been captured by the Germans, and subsequently taken to Berlin for use by the Freikorps, is shown in the attached rare photograph taken in Berlin in January 1919.

17 Whippets were sent to Russia with the British Expeditionary Forces in support of the ' Whites ' fight against the Communist ' Reds ', 12 of these Whippets were captured by the Reds and were used by the Communists into the 1930s.

It is assumed that some of these 12 Whippets captured by the Communists, were those that were later photographed being used by the Japanese Army in Manchuria in the1930s, after having been presumably captured from the Russians.

Also attached is a photograph of British Medium A Tanks being transported in Russia by rail, and also photos of the British Medium A Tank being used by the Japanese Army during the 1930s in Manchuria.

LF

These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-85905300-1397396692_thumb.j

post-63666-0-87523100-1397396729_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

The only known British Medium A ' Whippet ' Tank to have been captured by the Germans, and taken to Berlin for use by the German Freikorps, is shown in the attached photograph of the Whippet tank in Berlin with ' Freikorps ' markings, sometime in January 1919.

LF

post-63666-0-32234100-1397397042_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

British Medium A ' Whippet ' Tanks being shipped by rail in Russia, as part of the Expeditionary Force allied to the ' White ' Russian Army to support their fight against the Communist ' Reds '.

LF

post-63666-0-05764400-1397397288_thumb.j

Scalyback

The emhar 1/72 whippet and maybe the 1/35 whipet have decal schemes for Brit, japan and russian markings. Not seen one done as Freikorps but looks a project for winter for me.

Lancashire Fusilier

Two photos of former British Mark A Medium ' Whippet ' Tanks in service with the Japanese Army in Manchuria in the 1930s, these Whippet tanks were part of the shipment of 17 British Medium Mark A Tanks sent to Russia to assist the ' White ' Russian Army in their fight against the Communist Reds, and 12 of those Whippets captured by the Red Army, subsequently ended up in service with the Japanese Army in Manchuria in the 1930s.

LF

These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-99736800-1397397971_thumb.j

Scalyback

The lead tank in the 2nd image post 1658. What is around the track supports? Also theexhaust appears to have barb wire on it? The following tank appears "normal".

Once again LF keep up the good work.

Lancashire Fusilier

The emhar 1/72 whippet and maybe the 1/35 whipet have decal schemes for Brit, japan and russian markings. Not seen one done as Freikorps but looks a project for winter for me.

A uniquely marked British Medium A Tank, and hopefully, we shall see the finished model.

Regards,

LF

Scalyback

A uniquely marked British Medium A Tank, and hopefully, we shall see the finished model.

Regards,

LF

It will be wintertime, summer is taken up by my cycling. I have ideas for diorama.

Lancashire Fusilier

The lead tank in the 2nd image post 1658. What is around the track supports? Also theexhaust appears to have barb wire on it? The following tank appears "normal".

The wire ' cage ' around the tank's exhaust pipe, is probably there to protect it against being knocked ( off ) and or to stop the crew brushing up against a hot pipe ?

That could be a towing cable, stowed around the tank's side ?

LF

Scalyback

Would take a lot to knock it off! A very odd set up. The following tank is normal for a whippet yet this lead tank has two seperate oddities to my eye. Very intresting.

johnboy

I'm not sure why the exhaust would have mesh over it. The mesh would get hot as well. If the cans behind it contain petrol it also might get hot.

I don't think the things that look like cables are for towing. Not sure if they are steel cables. If they are, then keeping them in a clean place and oiled would be the best way of storing them. Nothing worse than trying to handle a cable caked in dirt.

The more I look at it it seems it might be in two pieces. I am also not sure how effective it would be to tow a disabled tracked machine.

phil@basildon

I'm not sure why the exhaust would have mesh over it. The mesh would get hot as well. If the cans behind it contain petrol it also might get hot.

I don't think the things that look like cables are for towing. Not sure if they are steel cables. If they are, then keeping them in a clean place and oiled would be the best way of storing them. Nothing worse than trying to handle a cable caked in dirt.

The more I look at it it seems it might be in two pieces. I am also not sure how effective it would be to tow a disabled tracked machine.

They look more like fuel hoses to me.

Scalyback

Thanks for the input chaps. Given the recess behind the supports between the upper and lower track, that would make more sense to store any cable type there? I'm no armoured expert! They are loud and go bang asfar as im concerned :thumbsup:

johnboy

I wondered if they might have been for re fuelling but couldn't figure out why they would be that long.

Lancashire Fusilier

They look more like fuel hoses to me.

Phil & Johnboy,

They are definitely steel cables, here is another British Medium Mark A in action in WW1 with that same steel cable attached to the side of the tank as with the Whippet captured and used by the Japanese in Manchuria.

If you look closely at the enlarged photo of the cable, you can actually see the twisted steel making up the cable. The only use I can think of for that steel cable, is for towing, or perhaps for pulling away obstacles ? Either way, it is definitely a steel cable rather than a hose.

LF

post-63666-0-44600200-1397428900_thumb.j

post-63666-0-30675800-1397428920_thumb.j

johnboy

Thanks for the closeup.

I have also been looking at what might be rollers between the leading edge of the track and the cable .Any ideas?

Lancashire Fusilier

Thanks for the closeup.

I have also been looking at what might be rollers between the leading edge of the track and the cable .Any ideas?

If you look at the steel cable end shown to the right ( top ) of the enlarged photo, there appear to be a towing loop/eye at the end of the cable.

LF

Lancashire Fusilier

Here is a close up of a scale model of a Medium Mark A ' Whippet ' Tank, showing the steel towing cable attached to the side of the tank.

LF

post-63666-0-24279600-1397430764_thumb.j

johnboy

Great find.

If you have cropped it could you show the track leading edge and see what the two roller things are?

Lancashire Fusilier

Great find.

If you have cropped it could you show the track leading edge and see what the two roller things are?

Is this what you are looking for ?

Also to confirm, here is a photo of an actual Medium Mark A ' Whippet ' Tank, with the towing cable stowing hooks fixed to the side of the tank as shown on the scale model.

LF

post-63666-0-04215600-1397431924_thumb.j

post-63666-0-91936900-1397431944_thumb.j