Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

A great example of the Dennis Fire Engine circa 1910, this engine made for the Reading Corporation Fire Brigade.

LF

post-63666-0-80043000-1384689652_thumb.j

To deal with the recovery and towing of vehicles that were disabled, damaged or had run off the road, as in posts # 787, and 802, the Army Service Corps used mobile vehicle recovery units which either towed in a vehicle for repair or if possible, provided on site repair.

Here we see an A.S.C. unit, towing a lorry with a completely collapsed chassis.

LF

C/o IWM - photograph number unknown.

post-63666-0-31848400-1384715813_thumb.j

MOT'd worse!

Reference the "built like a tank". So slow, unreliable and an uncomfortable drive............the british motor industry never got it right :devilgrin:

As all ways fantastic photographs for insight, research and general perusing.

To deal with the recovery and towing of vehicles that were disabled, damaged or had run off the road, as in posts # 787, and 802, the Army Service Corps used mobile vehicle recovery units which either towed in a vehicle for repair or if possible, provided on site repair.

Here we see an A.S.C. unit, towing a lorry with a completely collapsed chassis.

LF

Could something heavy had fallen on it? The way the bonnet has been 'flattened' suggests this is the case.

Could something heavy had fallen on it? The way the bonnet has been 'flattened' suggests this is the case.

phil w,

Exactly, needed to have been something heavy to bend that chassis, like a tree trunk, a French power pole ( as see in post #802 ), or an iron girder of some type ?

LF

I don't think any thing fell on it. The bonnet does not seem flattened to me when compared to the other pics of the Dennis. It looks more like the chassis snapped just under the cab. Maybe overloaded or just the rough 'roads'.

I don't think any thing fell on it. The bonnet does not seem flattened to me when compared to the other pics of the Dennis. It looks more like the chassis snapped just under the cab. Maybe overloaded or just the rough 'roads'.

Johnboy,

There are several possibilities for the damage to that lorry, which does not look to be a Dennis. Due to the angle the photograph was taken, we cannot see the large area which makes up the driver's cab, and there is plenty of room for something heavy, like a pole or girder to fall directly across the driver's cab without actually damaging the bonnet, and the bend in the chassis looks to lie directly below the driver's cab area.

It is certainly interesting, our trying to work out what these almost 100 year old photographs are trying to tell us.

Regards,

LF

Reference the "built like a tank".

As all ways fantastic photographs for insight, research and general perusing.

When you read the Dennis vehicle specifications in post #798, look at their chassis design in post #809, and considering much of the work was done by hand, you realize they were really doing quite well 100 years ago.

Pleased you are continuing to enjoy this Thread, plenty more to come.

Regards,

LF

A polite reminder that any images posted with IWM copyright must have that copyright acknowledged, with the photograph number and link to the IWM archive attached.

Thanks

Alan

It is also possible that the broken chassis was caused by the recovery team, most commonly by lifting the lorry when laden. When the Ford Cargo was introduced some prototypes were supplied to the Australian army, it didn't take long for one to receive similar damage to the lorry in the photograph, due to an attempt to lift it whilst laden.

I'll stick to my theory that nothing fell on it. The body is intact and I don't think that the bonnet is flattened. The chassis beam seems to have bent outwards which might be on account of lifting while loaded.

U.S. Motorcycle Corps Harley-Davidson motorcycle machine gun combinations armed with the Model 1909 Benet-Mercier .30 machine gun which fired 600 rounds per minute, and was fed with metal cartridge strips each holding 30 rounds.

The soldier to the left, has the cartridge strips laid out in preparation for loading.

LF

Photo c/o U.S. Library of Congress.

post-63666-0-40150100-1384783447_thumb.j

Do you know the year that the pics were taken? I don't seem to see the aceteline canister on the handle bars,

I think you have a point, johnboy. The headlamp doesn't appear to have the 'chimney' on top I tend to associate with acetylene lamps and there's a klaxon rather than a bulb horn so it does appear this machine has a dynamo somewhere.

Keith

Johnboy and Rockdoc,

The photographs in posts # 819 and 820, are dated for the period 1916 to 1917.

In the specification for the 1916 Harley-Davidson motorcycle, it mentions that " An electrical system was an available option, but most riders preferred the good old magneto ignition system and continued to use the acetylene gas to provide light ".

With the photographs being dated 1916 to 1917, and being they were military specification motorcycles with a much larger power requirement, those Army Harley-Davidsons were using power from a ' Remy ' Electrical Generator fixed to the motorcycle's frame, which was the system used by Harley-Davidson in 1916, and they were not using the older acetylene generators previously fixed to the handlebars.

Regards,

LF

Posted Today, 07:43 AM

U.S. Motorcycle Corps ' Harley-Davidson ' ( coloured postcard ) and ' Indian ' motorcycle machine gun combinations using the Model 1909 Benet-Mercier .30 machine gun, which fired 600 rounds per minute and was fed with metal cartridge strips each holding 30 rounds.

In the photograph we can see the machine gun's armoured shield in the lowered and secured position,and in the coloured postcard it is secured in the combat postion.

LF

Photograph c/o U.S. Library of Congress - postcard source unknown.

post-63666-0-13184700-1384865394_thumb.j

post-63666-0-65635400-1384865410_thumb.j

A Thornycroft lorry has been completely destroyed either due to a direct hit, or the lorry had been transporting ammunition as was the case in the following photograph, with that ammunition exploding.

LF

C/o IWM - photograph number unknown.

post-63666-0-41789100-1384948493_thumb.j