Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Reference post # 721 which is a photograph showing 2 Austin Armoured Cars 1st Series in combat, and here is an unknown artist's rendition of that battle involving the Austin Armoured Cars, entitled ' Galizien 1915 '.

Below the painting, is the orginal photograph.

LF

post-63666-0-19450900-1384172206_thumb.j

post-63666-0-67396600-1384201856_thumb.j

German photograph showing captured Russian vehicles including 2 Poplavko-Jeffery Armoured Cars, and to their right a Lanchester Armoured Car.

LF

post-63666-0-02909900-1384172645_thumb.j

Interesting photograph of a Lanchester Armoured Car, to the right of the Lanchester is a Russian Poplavko-Jeffery Armoured Car, so again this is probably a German photograph taken of captured Russian vehicles, with someone being photographed with their head popping up from the Lanchester ?

As the Lanchester is on wooden blocks, it was probably under repair at the time.

LF

post-63666-0-26231700-1384173246_thumb.j

Period photographs of a group of Lanchester Armoured Cars are somewhat scarce, and here is a nice photograph of 3 Lanchester Armoured Cars of the RNAS ( Royal Naval Air Service ) parked somewhere ?

As these are ' Naval ' vehicles, are they said to be in their ' berth ', ' Shed ', ' Garage ' and are the serial numbers shown on the side and rear of the Lanchester's their ' Identification Numbers ' or their ' Call Signs " i.e. 6 A 2 - 6 B 3 - 6 A 4, as shown.

Also, note the vehicle on the left, has single rear wheels.

I have no information on this photograph and would appreciate members input.

LF

post-63666-0-72829000-1384256073_thumb.j

Another interesting Lanchester Armoured Car photograph, which again needs further identification.

The landscape shown in the photograph looks arid, so it could be Gallipoli, Salonika or a desert region ?

British soldiers, appear to be working on the Lanchester and another behind it ?

The plate which appears to show the Lanchester's I/D or Call Sign ' 15 A 4 ' is leaning against the vehicle ?

Again, members input would be appreciated.

LF

post-63666-0-93729800-1384256891_thumb.j

Period photographs of a group of Lanchester Armoured Cars are somewhat scarce, and here is a nice photograph of 3 Lanchester Armoured Cars of the RNAS ( Royal Naval Air Service ) parked somewhere ?

As these are ' Naval ' vehicles, are they said to be in their ' berth ', ' Shed ', ' Garage ' and are the serial numbers shown on the side and rear of the Lanchester's their ' Identification Numbers ' or their ' Call Signs " i.e. 6 A 2 - 6 B 3 - 6 A 4, as shown.

Also, note the vehicle on the left, has single rear wheels.

I have no information on this photograph and would appreciate members input.

LF

Wormwood Scrubs where the RNAS armoured cars were based perhaps

Another interesting Lanchester Armoured Car photograph, which again needs further identification.

The landscape shown in the photograph looks arid, so it could be Gallipoli, Salonika or a desert region ?

British soldiers, appear to be working on the Lanchester and another behind it ?

The plate which appears to show the Lanchester's I/D or Call Sign ' 15 A 4 ' is leaning against the vehicle ?

Again, members input would be appreciated.

LF

My money is Russia or somewhere thereabouts - no Lanchesters at Gallipoli and no armoured cars at all at Salonika (that I'm aware of)

The Germans inspect a disabled Lanchester Armoured Car, off a French road.

LF

Think this is eastern front too - the helmets make it late war and as far as I'm aware no Lanchesters served in France/Flanders (apart from Belgian ones) after 1915 (did any British ones definitely serve in Europe in 1915 for that matter ?)

Wormwood Scrubs where the RNAS armoured cars were based perhaps

RobL,

Thanks for the response, yes the photograph has the look of a London Depot, and there appears to be an oil pan under the rear of the Lanchester on the right ' 6 A 4 ', so probably a RNAS garage and maintenance depot.

Regards,

LF

The superb book 'Talbot in the First World War', despite the title, has a lot of photos and information on the RNAS based at Wormwood Scrubs including Lanchesters, anti-aircraft vehicles etc

Wolseley ambulance, built in 1914 and kitted out in Newcastle as a mobile operating theatre for the Scottish Light Horse - designed by Colonel H Wade, it first served at Suvla, Gallipoli in 1915 and then went to the middle east, and eventually was attached to the Australian Desert Mounted Corps

post-24634-0-02666600-1384285016_thumb.j

post-24634-0-35346900-1384285026_thumb.j

The superb book 'Talbot in the First World War', despite the title, has a lot of photos and information on the RNAS based at Wormwood Scrubs including Lanchesters, anti-aircraft vehicles etc

I shall take a look at that book, as it is not one I have.

Thanks,

LF

With reference to post # 755, RobL's suggestion that the Lanchesters were photographed at the RNAS Base at Wormwood Scrubs, which seems most likely.

With regard to post # 756, the Lanchesters being worked on, whilst their being photographed in Russia is a good option, does anyone have any other suggested locations based on the evidence in that photograph ?

Also, any ideas on the serial numbers on the Lanchesters rear plates, are they vehicle I/Ds, Call Signs or something else ?

LF

My money is Russia or somewhere thereabouts - no Lanchesters at Gallipoli and no armoured cars at all at Salonika (that I'm aware of)

RobL,

The Lanchesters also saw service in both Persia and Turkey, and looking at the landscape in that photograph, those countries are also a possible location.

Regards,

LF

Two great British motorcycles adapted for service use, a Norton motorcycle ambulance combination, and a Royal Enfield machinegun combination.

LF

post-63666-0-31009200-1384430620_thumb.j

post-63666-0-87272900-1384430640_thumb.j

RFC motorcyclist, with RFC motorcycle and sidecar combination from the 29th Squadron based at Poperinghe aerodrome, photo dated 21.5.1917.

LF

C/o S. Chambers - Uniforms and Equipment of the British Army in WW1

post-63666-0-01309300-1384432274_thumb.j

Army Dispatch Riders motorcycle and sidecar combination.

LF

Posible this was owned by rider? AA badge on sidecar.

Posible this was owned by rider? AA badge on sidecar.

Johnboy,

I saw the AA badge, and had it not been for the ' O.H.M.S ' plate, I may have thought it was a privately owned combination. However, this added official ' O.H.M.S ' plate, the addition of the large spot-light on the side-car ( see the same type of spot-light on the side-car of the RFC combination ), and the large klaxon fitted on the side-car, all show this may have been a civilian motorcycle combination subsequently converted and transferred into military service.

Regards,

LF

johnboy,

Here is another photograph of a unit of RFC Dispatch Riders, including 2 motorcycle/side-car combinations, and you will see on both the motorcycle combinations ( much clearer on the far right machine ) the cable coming from the motorcycle and draped over the top front of the side-car bonnet attached to the large spot-light fitted to the side-car, which was probably an additional item of military equipment not previously on that side-car.

We know there was a drastic shortage of vehicles urgently needed for military use, and all sorts of vans, trucks, lorries, buses and motorcycles were transferred from civilian use to military use to meet that shortfall, hence some civilian features may still be seen on military vehicles which were previously civilian owned.

Regards,

LF

C/o S. Chambers - Uniforms and Equipment of the British Army in WW1

post-63666-0-78013700-1384464258_thumb.j

The fitting of the lights look like a quick fix!

The sidecar combinations appear to be right hand drive?