Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

It;ll be seen on the school run in Chelsea soon. 

• 1 month later...

Ref. post 5,216 (!) came across another example of propellers as grave markers:

1918 Illustrated London News 091.jpg

Illustrated London News 1918

Dave

Edited by depaor01

• 3 weeks later...

A Daimler Y Type Chassis dating from 1917, These were manufactured by AEC  in Walthemstow for Daimler to fullfil a War Office order. Post war they were often converted into Charabancs, single-deck and double-deckers.

I photographed this one today at the Oxford Bus and Morris Motors Museum at Long Handbourgh. Slightly off topic was an interesting set of photos of 'special vehicle' prototypes made at Morris Motors in Oxford during WW2.

Bob

Daimler chassis 1917.JPG

• 1 month later...

Further to earlier posts concerning the Thornton-Pickard Type A aerial camera (#1459,1480 etc), is it reasonable to assume that these cameras were also used by RNAS at Gallipoli in 1915?

John

16 hours ago, johnshep said:

Further to earlier posts concerning the Thornton-Pickard Type A aerial camera (#1459,1480 etc), is it reasonable to assume that these cameras were also used by RNAS at Gallipoli in 1915?

John

John,

Unfortunately I am not (yet) able to confirm if the Type 'A' was used during the Dardanelles/Gallipoli campaign.  Are you aware of the articles and photographs featuring the service of Petty Officer Photographic Air Mechanic William 'Bill' Pollard in the Cross and Cockade Journal Vol 38 No2 and No3?   One of the photos shows three officers outside Pollard's 'Camera House' on Imbros circa September 1915.   The cameras being held by these men look very much like hand held Thornton Type 'A's.

My guess is that the cameras used by the Observers flying in Ark Royals aircraft at the time of the initial landings were likely to be these types but, as I mention, I cannot confirm this.

I haven't checked this myself yet but a post in the 'War in the Air' section may bring more results. In the meantime I shall continue to see if I can find some concrete details.

Edited by pete-c

• 5 months later...

Just a quick line to say I have joined the Forum after reading all 128 pages of this thread

I got here originally by doing an image search on a red cross ambulance photo

But have been  so impressed by the quality of images and the depth of knowledge of the members , and also the civility of all concerned, that I decided to join

so thank you thread starter !

Edited by Guest
bad grammer

RT,

welcome to the forum.

The Australian War Memorial in Canberra has a well restored example of a Crossley 20/25 light lorry in the reserve collection at Treloar Annex. Although their example is configured as a RAF tender, I understand that these were also used extensively as ambulances. There are several photos on the following link

Best Regards

Ross

https://www.awm.gov.au/index.php/collection/C110502?image=1

1 hour ago, RT op said:

Just a quick line to say I have joined the Forum after reading all 128 pages of this thread

I got here originally by doing an image search on a red cross ambulance photo

But have been  so impressed by the quality of images and the depth of knowledge of the members , and also the civility of all concerned, that I decided to join

so thank you thread starter !

Unfortunately the thread starter hasn't been on the forum for over a year and we don't know why!

I pm'd him couple of months ago but no reply.

Edited by johnboy

Same here, no response.

Mike.

Hi,

Does anyone know the maker of the tracked vehicles shown in this photograph? 

The photo comes from " A Pictorial History of Machynlleth - David Wyn Davies"  and shows John Evans's General Merchants store in Maengwyn Street c.1916.

The man mid frame, looking over the machines,  is John Evans's son William P. Evans. Would the drivers be A.S.C?

Scan_20180104 (2).jpg

They are CLETRACs made by the Cleveland Tractor Company Ohio USA. An internet search will give you a history of the Company

TH

Cletrac.jpg

1 hour ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

They are CLETRACs made by the Cleveland Tractor Company Ohio USA. An internet search will give you a history of the Company

TH

Cletrac.jpg

Many thanks MerchantOldSalt. 

Back on to the subject of Thornycroft J Type AA gun trucks which was covered many posts previously. The restoration of our 1918 J is coming to fruition and will hopefully be ready for the London to Brighton run in May.

We were planning on marking it up as an AA section support vehicle (so it would look nice alongside the Duxford J (if it ever moves again that is).

So my question is, does anybody have any idea of specific markings for these vehicles in addition to census number on bonnet, W^D and load not to exceed. I have a super photo of the gun trucks marked No1 and No2, but I do not imagine that this numbering system would extend to the support vehicles.

Does anybody have any other ideas or photographic evidence please.

Many thanks

Tim Gosling

Thornycroft now.JPG

Tim,

Great to hear that another of these trucks will be back on the road. It would be good to see some video footage of it running.

Edited by Gardenerbill

With a bit of luck - well actually a lot of luck you may be able to see three WD Thornycrofts (and some other WD vehicles) together in convoy this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Gents,

Some may recall a few years back I started work on an illustrated book of the ASC markings.

I have pleasure in saying I now have a draft presentation sent off to a publisher.

The book contains those illustrations held by the RLC museum, some 78 pages of coloured drawings illustrating the various Division and supporting arms that were drawn sometime in the 1920's.

The museum has granted me permission to reproduce them, and the book has been in an embryonic stage for some time. With the help of references from the LLT and M Young's book on the history of the ASC, I have managed to produce something that will, I hope be of interest to researchers, modelers and restorers as it shows those unit markings seen in black and white photographs, but now in colour.

The work is not complete as a lot of information is missing, plus there are a number blank spaces on the original work. However I have endeavoured to put together as much information as I am able.

I am grateful to Tim Gosling who has generously allowed me to use some of his collection of photo's in the book. 

Through this website, I am asking if any of you know the owners of the enclosed, as I would like to include these as well. IF they are ex IWM, I'm afraid I cannot include them for obvious copyright reasons, plus I would need to re-mortgage my home to pay for them to be published.

So if you know the source and owner, and willing to allow me to use them I would be grateful.

I have a similar posting on the "units" forum so as to cover all bases.

George.

Holt Tractor with crew.jpg

image3.JPG

image6.JPG

• 2 months later...

We were hoping to make this years London to Brighton run with our 1917 Thornycroft J Type. After a very long restoration we took it for its first test run a week before the big day. However, it did not go as well as hoped and the engine locked up when it got hot so we had to let it cool, free it off and take it home again. Here are a few clips of its first trip out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-gkas1E1S8

The ting tinging noise is the fan hitting the edge of the radiator. Nothing which cant be fixed but it sounds awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk2NoRxdS-0

There are a few more jobs to be done so we will have enough time to get it ready for its next trip out.

• 6 months later...
On 18/03/2014 at 12:59, Lancashire Fusilier said:

Three Despatch Riders on Triumph 550 rear-wheel belt drive motorcycles, one rider brandishing a Webley Mark VI service revolver!

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-50423900-1395147589_thumb.j

Do you have any names for these 3 on motorbikes, I think the middle one is my 19 year old Great Uncle Thomas Tommy) Rose who was a Royal Navy despatch rider in the RNAS it really looks like him, not sure of the uniforms though.

2 hours ago, Hectic Historian said:

Do you have any names for these 3 on motorbikes, I think the middle one is my 19 year old Great Uncle Thomas Tommy) Rose who was a Royal Navy despatch rider in the RNAS it really looks like him, not sure of the uniforms though.

If you read a bit higher up, you'll see that our Pal Lancashire Fusilier has not been on the Forum since Dec 2016 and we have serious concerns about him.

Let's hope all's well and his absence has some benign explanation.

All the best.

Mark