Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Steam engine brakes are somewhat rudimentary ! They consist of a simple wind on band that is used to slow the machine whilst descending hills and for parking. To stop 'quickly' it is necessary to reverse the motion of the engine by means of the reversing lever. The engine will then fight itself to a standstill. In an emergency, steam may be admitted via the regulator whilst reversing the motion, but this may cause damage and is a last resort.

Steam rollers having plain rolls are more inclined to slip and if they start to slide there is little you can do to rectify the situation. This was known as 'Picking it's feet up. ' Providing you are going slowly enough the technique is to accelerate to regain traction. This takes some nerve at a time when all your senses are telling you to stop the thing !! This is why engines should be driven very slowly down hills.

In the' good old days' it was common practice for the more gung ho drivers to knock the engine out of gear and free wheel down hills. This practice was frowned upon and no doubt caused several nasty accidents.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-90221400-1451051948_thumb.j

The sheer weight of this Aveling & Porter Steam Roller, is causing problems in the quagmire of the Western Front.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-18206500-1451052360_thumb.j

I would suspect this photo is posed for the camera as I think it unlikely they would be able to help the roller extricate itself with just a couple of lengths of timber levering it? Excellent photo all the same.

David

When we see accidents involving steam road locomotives they always look spectacular, as has been said. Although I can also remember being given a ride on a Heanor UDC road roller in the mid-fifties - they were relaying the road outside my grandmother's house and, unlike Modelmaker, I was captivated by it - I wouldn't know anything about their braking systems or the effectiveness of the same. I remember on one of Fred Dibnah's many TV programmes hearing him describe an accident he had been involved in when he'd been hauling a load behind his engine. It had run away down a steep hill and there had been nothing he could do except keep his fingers crossed. ISTR him having a laugh about it with the chap whose wall he ended up demolishing.

Keith

I was only five at the time !!!

I would suspect this photo is posed for the camera as I think it unlikely they would be able to help the roller extricate itself with just a couple of lengths of timber levering it? Excellent photo all the same.

David

David,

You are probably correct, or it may have been that some well meaning Tommies were on hand to try and help the Steam Roller driver, either way, it would have taken a Holt 75 or another Steam Engine to pull the stricken Steam Roller clear.

Regards,

LF

Due to the sizable number of Steam Engines still in service with the British Army on the Western Front in mid-1917, the 2nd ASC No.320 Motor Transport Company's Depot at Chantiers near Dunkerque, in Northern France, had a dedicated Steam Engine Repair Shop.

This photograph, shows ASC mechanics working on Steam Engines in the Repair Shop on 20th August, 1917.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-82237600-1451142669_thumb.j

When we see accidents involving steam road locomotives they always look spectacular, as has been said. Although I can also remember being given a ride on a Heanor UDC road roller in the mid-fifties - they were relaying the road outside my grandmother's house and, unlike Modelmaker, I was captivated by it - I wouldn't know anything about their braking systems or the effectiveness of the same. I remember on one of Fred Dibnah's many TV programmes hearing him describe an accident he had been involved in when he'd been hauling a load behind his engine. It had run away down a steep hill and there had been nothing he could do except keep his fingers crossed. ISTR him having a laugh about it with the chap whose wall he ended up demolishing.

Keith

Keith,

Here is a photograph of famed Steam Engine enthusiast Fred Dibnah, riding his superb 1912 Aveling & Porter 10 ton KND Steam Tractor No. 7838, Registration No. TA 2436.

Apparently, it took Fred Dibnah 27 years to complete the Steam Engine's restoration

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-50443500-1451229028_thumb.j

A behemoth Aveling & Porter Steam Engine, and hopefully, Tomo will know the model in question ?

Regards,

LF

Attached Images

post-63666-0-08048200-1451236618_thumb.j

Aveling and Porter Road loco poss. LC8. These engines were hampered by only having 2 gears and were out classed by the three speed engines of other makers.

Due to the sizable number of Steam Engines still in service with the British Army on the Western Front in mid-1917, the 2nd ASC No.320 Motor Transport Company's Depot at Chantiers near Dunkerque, in Northern France, had a dedicated Steam Engine Repair Shop.

This photograph, shows ASC mechanics working on Steam Engines in the Repair Shop on 20th August, 1917.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

Engines in workshop are: Outside, a fowler T1 light tractor. Inside Left, a Tasker traction engine. The other one inside right is probably another Foster Wellington Tractor.

Aveling and Porter Road loco poss. LC8. These engines were hampered by only having 2 gears and were out classed by the three speed engines of other makers.

Engines in workshop are: Outside, a fowler T1 light tractor. Inside Left, a Tasker traction engine. The other one inside right is probably another Foster Wellington Tractor.

Tomo,

Many thanks for the interesting identifications.

Regards,

LF

This photograph shows the widespread use of the Aveling & Porter Steam Roller on various Fronts, including Egypt.

Here we see Australian troops from the 1st Division and local Egyptian labourers constructing a new road at Mena Camp, ten miles from Cairo using an Aveling & Porter Steam Roller.
The Australian 1st Division underwent training at the Mena Camp from December 1914 until February 1915, before embarking for the Gallipoli Peninsula.
LF
AWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-84219000-1451313246_thumb.j

post-111198-0-35175100-1451383883_thumb.Going through the IWM collection website, I would love to know what happened to their superb collection of models.....see the example here.

attachicon.gifGoing through the IWM collection website, I would love to know what happened to their superb collection of models.....see the example here.

George,

Hopefully, that excellent scale model is in storage somewhere, and if not currently on display ?, needs to be displayed so that everyone can enjoy viewing it.

Regards,

LF

In this next series of 4 interesting photographs, we see further evidence of the widespread use by the British Army of the Aveling & Porter Steam Roller, this time, in Persia's Kerind Valley, where members of ' The Dunsterforce ' were engaged in building a road across the Kerind Valley using local Persian labourers.

The first photograph, shows a member of the Dunsterforce road construction unit surveying the desolate Kerind Valley from his Model T Ford vehicle.

LF

post-63666-0-01572700-1451398617_thumb.j

A soldier from the Dunsterforce, supervises local Persian labourers employed laying road-stones to be crushed by the Army's Aveling & Porter Steam Roller to form the road across the Kerind Valley.

LF

post-63666-0-54311500-1451398885_thumb.j

Soldiers from the Dunsterforce's road construction unit using an Aveling & Porter Steam Roller to crush the road-stones laid by the local Persian labourers during the laying of the road across the Kerind Valley, of note are the horizontal ' markers ' attached to the Steam Roller's smoke stack, which I am guessing are placed there as guides to keep the Steam Roller's driver on track.

Hopefully, someone will know if this guess is correct ?

LF

post-63666-0-53947400-1451399378_thumb.j

This 4th photograph shows nice details of the rear of the Army's Aveling & Porter Steam Roller being used by the Dunsterforce to lay a road across Persia's Kerind Valley, again we can see the ' guides ' attached to the Steam Roller's smoke stack.

Both this and the previous photograph, show the superb job the Aveling & Porter Steam Roller made of crushing the road-stones, and forming an excellent extremely flat road surface across the Kerind Valley.

LF

post-63666-0-88753700-1451400113_thumb.j

attachicon.gif6.jpgGoing through the IWM collection website, I would love to know what happened to their superb collection of models.....see the example here.

That's a cracking photo of this model, are there any others of it out there?

David

That's a cracking photo of this model, are there any others of it out there?

David

David,

That superb model was apparently made in 1922 for display at the new Imperial War Museum at Crystal Palace, as was the attached tank diorama, has anyone seen them recently ?

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-10234700-1451406184_thumb.j

I am thinking that they are horizontal guides, used by the Steam Roller driver to keep him on track ?

I wondered that but they don't seem too level, lower down in the drivers eyeline would have been better?