Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Ruston and Hornsby[edit]

It had a dramatic formation, and was established by people not new to its field of engineering. It was formed in February 1934[1] when Aveling and Porter of Rochester, Kenteffectively went bankrupt, when the parent company Agricultural & General Engineers (AGE) went into receivership in 1932. At the same time Barford & Perkins (related to today's Perkins Engines) of Peterborough were also entering administration. Frank Perkins worked for his family company of Barford & Perkins, and also Aveling and Porter. These two companies were Britain's two leading manufacturers of road rollers.

Some well known companies, Perkins, Ruston and Hornsby [now or was, Ruston Bucyrus?] All construction industry equipment.

johnboy,

Some great British engineering company names, thanks for the links.

Regards,

LF

With reference to post # 4336 showing the Royal Engineer's ' Sapper ' Steam Engine, which hauled their Balloon Corps' ' Balloon Train ' carrying the large and heavy gas cylinders used to inflate the R.E.'s observation balloons, in the attached photograph of a R.E. Balloon Corps' section preparing to inflate their observation balloon, those large gas cylinders can be seen stacked on the left of the photograph.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-89729600-1450709228_thumb.j

No doubt celebrating their Kentish heritage, Aveling & Porter's logo, which was proudly displayed on the front of their machines, consisted of the ' White Horse of Kent ' with the ' Invicta ' banner.

Yes I know it should say 'INVICTA'.

But it looks like 'INVIaTA' to me?

PS. Thanks for all the brilliant images throughout 2015.

I especially enjoyed the recent 9.2" Howitzer pics.

But it looks like 'INVIaTA' to me?

I especially enjoyed the recent 9.2" Howitzer pics.

Yes, it does looks that way due to Aveling & Porter using a version of an Old English script with the closed ' C '.

Many thanks, I am pleased that you are enjoying this Thread, and I agree, the 9.2 Howitzer was also one of my favourites.

Regards,

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-59024900-1450742608_thumb.j

Here is an interesting and nicely detailed photograph showing female workers at the Aveling & Porter factory in Kent driving a pristine newly manufactured War Department Aveling & Porter Steam Engine, which interestingly, is towing a newly manufactured Aveling & Porter 5 ton Wagon, both ready for delivery to the WD.

It is always nice to see machines in their pristine factory fresh finish, and I am sure this combination of a ' WD ' Aveling & Porter Steam Engine plus the 5 ton Aveling & Porter Wagon, will be of interest to George, as the pair would make a fine scale model combination.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-72332900-1450782483_thumb.j

Although this drawing is of an Aveling & Porter tipping Coal Wagon, it is probably of a similar design and construction to the Aveling & Porter W^D Wagon shown in the previous post, albeit that the Wagon shown in the previous post has ' sprung ' suspension.

LF

post-63666-0-14656000-1450868836_thumb.j

Nice to see some road steam vehicles,they were very much involved in the Great War but increasingly confined to rear areas and base workshops after they were found to attract artillery fire from the columns of smoke and steam produced. They were also slow to steam from cold (2 hrs.) and not too good in deep mud due to their heavy weight. On the plus side they were extremely powerful and were still the prime movers for heavy loads for many years after the war.

Aveling and Porter were based at Strood, Rochester and eventually concentrated their efforts on building steam rollers,many of which still survive and are regularly seen working at steam rallies throughout the country. Their logo represents the horse of Odin and the motto 'Invicta' means unbeaten. This refers to the Roman invasion of England when the local tribe negotiated a settlement with the invading forces, and therefore considered themselves unconquered !

For more WW1 steamy info see the thread 'Steam driver left his name' on this site.

Here is an interesting and nicely detailed photograph showing female workers at the Aveling & Porter factory in Kent driving a pristine newly manufactured War Department Aveling & Porter Steam Engine, which interestingly, is towing a newly manufactured Aveling & Porter 5 ton Wagon, both ready for delivery to the WD.
It is always nice to see machines in their pristine factory fresh finish, and I am sure this combination of a ' WD ' Aveling & Porter Steam Engine plus the 5 ton Aveling & Porter Wagon, will be of interest to George, as the pair would make a fine scale model combination.
LF

Whoa there, LF That there tractor looks like a Foster to me !

Whoa there, LF That there tractor looks like a Foster to me !

Tomo,

These Steam Engines are very much a learning curve for me, as typically are all my posts, and with that particular photograph, as it does not show the front of the engine which would have probably confirmed the manufacturer, I had to rely on the photograph's caption, which states it to be an Aveling & Porter Steam Engine leaving the factory ? As we all know, photograph captions are not always correct.

I also tried to match it to known Aveling & Porter Steam Engines for comparison, including the attached photograph of a WW1 era ' 1917 ' Aveling & Porter Steam Engine.

Any guidance and or information you can give, would be much appreciated.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-34387200-1450880650_thumb.j

Although post war, this is one that came to grief.

I'd suggest it will have few advisory notices at the next MOT!

oops.jpg

The horseshoe obviously didn't work.

Mike.

Although post war, this is one that came to grief.

Nice photo, looks like the Ludgate Hill area of London, not exactly the best place for your Steam Engine's back wheel to fall off !

Steam Engine accidents always look somewhat spectacular, probably due to their massive size.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-01086100-1450900944_thumb.j

That same Steam Engine, after it had been righted.

LF

post-63666-0-02828400-1450901156_thumb.j

Tomo,

These Steam Engines are very much a learning curve for me, as typically are all my posts, and with that particular photograph, as it does not show the front of the engine which would have probably confirmed the manufacturer, I had to rely on the photograph's caption, which states it to be an Aveling & Porter Steam Engine leaving the factory ? As we all know, photograph captions are not always correct.

I also tried to match it to known Aveling & Porter Steam Engines for comparison, including the attached photograph of a WW1 era ' 1917 ' Aveling & Porter Steam Engine.

Any guidance and or information you can give, would be much appreciated.

Regards,

LF

Hi LF. The first picture is of a Foster ' Wellington ' tractor and is more likely to have been taken at the Lincoln works of William Foster & Co, ( where the tanks were developed and built. ) So the ladies are more Lincolnshire lasses than Kentish Maidens !

Pic 2 Is another Aveling tractor KND or GND.

Pic 3 shows a Garrett 4CD tractor with 'Tangental' wooden wheels fitted all round. One has come adrift, probably due to a broken axle.

Pic 4 & 5 The Guildford casualty is a Burrell Single Crank Compound Traction Engine.

Hope this is of help.

Regards,

Tomo

There are some photos of ploughing engines at work on this page.

Keith

Great to see a photo of an engine at work in Toppesfield Essex.

I grew up a couple of miles down the road and remember several engines still in the locality in the 1970's.

There used to be an engine, I think at the Museaum of The Working Horse in Toppesfield, that I used to pass on a regular basis into the 1980's.

On a GW note Toppesfield Parish Council are proposing to plant a number of semi mature trees to reflect the number of men of Toppesfield and neighbouring Gainsford End killed in WW1

Hope this is of help.

Regards,

Tomo

Tomo,

Yes, it certainly helps, very informative. Great Steam Engine information as usual, and I shall edit accordingly.

Regards,

LF

On a GW note Toppesfield Parish Council are proposing to plant a number of semi mature trees to reflect the number of men of Toppesfield and neighbouring Gainsford End killed in WW1

Nice commemoration.

Regards,

LF

An Army Aveling & Porter Steam Roller being used in road construction near Ludd, Palestine in 1918.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-80596900-1450947275_thumb.j

On a personal note, as "nipper" in East London early 1950's, the local council had steamrollers (make unknown) repairing roads, the sight, size, sound and smell frightened the bejazzas out of me.....I could not walk past one, had to run home.

George.

Our local council in Lancashire also had steam rollers into the 1950's, these were Aveling & Porter as I can remember the rampant horse emblem. Agree they were a little disconcerting, the sounds they made and the occasional discharge of hot steam and if you were unlucky enough to be stuck behind one in a queue of traffic. Probable 'cruising' speed, around 4 or 5 miles per hour at a guess?

A council depot in Leicestershire still had some steam roller/traction engine spare parts lying around in the late 70's. I was given a very handsome brass rear view mirror, but the rest went for scrap soon after sadly.

Mike.

When we see accidents involving steam road locomotives they always look spectacular, as has been said. Although I can also remember being given a ride on a Heanor UDC road roller in the mid-fifties - they were relaying the road outside my grandmother's house and, unlike Modelmaker, I was captivated by it - I wouldn't know anything about their braking systems or the effectiveness of the same. I remember on one of Fred Dibnah's many TV programmes hearing him describe an accident he had been involved in when he'd been hauling a load behind his engine. It had run away down a steep hill and there had been nothing he could do except keep his fingers crossed. ISTR him having a laugh about it with the chap whose wall he ended up demolishing.

Keith