Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Future plans, I have the American FWD Type B mostly complete,

George,

I am also very fortunate to own one of the few known existing copies of the official U.S. Army's Handbooks for the F.W.D., my copy being ex-Army Library, Washington, D.C., the Handbooks 233 pages and 75 photographs cover every nut, bolt used to construct the F.W.D. 3-Ton Truck, Model B-1917.

So let me know if you need anything looked up.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-55397200-1448458039_thumb.j

This photograph, shows the German ' Mastfernrohr ' fully retracted for transporting and fitted to it's rarely seen travelling carriage drawn by 4 horses.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-17483000-1448458642_thumb.j

George,

I am also very fortunate to own one of the few known existing copies of the official U.S. Army's Handbooks for the F.W.D., my copy being ex-Army Library, Washington, D.C., the Handbooks 233 pages and 75 photographs cover every nut, bolt used to construct the F.W.D. 3-Ton Truck, Model B-1917.

So let me know if you need anything looked up.

Regards,

LF

Wouldn't you know it.....what other gems do you have, British equipment mainly.

If you have it scanned then I would like a look......would you be prepared to loan the copy for me to scan ???? Is it possible, the age may make it fragile.

George.

Wouldn't you know it.....what other gems do you have, British equipment mainly.

If you have it scanned then I would like a look......would you be prepared to loan the copy for me to scan ???? Is it possible, the age may make it fragile.

George.

George,

The problem is not that the Handbook is fragile, the problem as far as scanning is concerned, is that the Handbook is in almost mint unread condition, and because of that, the spine is still extremely rigid, making it almost impossible to lay the Handbook flat in a scanner.

I have taken some example scans, which are attached.

The best I can do, is look up specific parts for you and if at all possible, make a scan of them.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-94364200-1448473034_thumb.j

post-63666-0-09729700-1448473100_thumb.j

post-63666-0-05662300-1448473134_thumb.j

Here is an unusual and interesting example of a well camouflaged German ' Mastfernrohr ' set up in a dug-out, with it's mast extended above ground level.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-51820400-1448539826_thumb.j

Nice pic.

I have this feeling that I've seen that chap, second right front row, somewhere before!

Are you thinking of a certain Corporal ?

Regards,

LF

George,

The problem is not that the Handbook is fragile, the problem as far as scanning is concerned, is that the Handbook is in almost mint unread condition, and because of that, the spine is still extremely rigid, making it almost impossible to lay the Handbook flat in a scanner.

I have taken some example scans, which are attached.

The best I can do, is look up specific parts for you and if at all possible, make a scan of them.

Regards,

LF

I appreciate that, I had a similar issue with the original 1915 blueprints of the limbered wagons, copying them was fraught with danger, but got it done.

I think I am OK for info at the moment, there is one thing though, there were scale drawings side and plan elevations....I have those drawings but the various dimensions are marked A,B,C etc.....there should be a table that gives those dimensions, I could do with that table, just as a check to what I have so far.

George.

I appreciate that, I had a similar issue with the original 1915 blueprints of the limbered wagons, copying them was fraught with danger, but got it done.

I think I am OK for info at the moment, there is one thing though, there were scale drawings side and plan elevations....I have those drawings but the various dimensions are marked A,B,C etc.....there should be a table that gives those dimensions, I could do with that table, just as a check to what I have so far.

George.

George,

I shall look for those dimensions, and email you what I am able to find.

Regards,

LF

Two final posts on the German ' Mastfernrohr ', one showing it's move from Lambeth Road to Duxford in 2012, and the other showing good details of the Mastfernrohr after it's arrival at Duxford.

LF

These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-25305800-1448633347_thumb.j

George,

I shall look for those dimensions, and email you what I am able to find.

Regards,

LF

Thanks,

The drawings have various dimensions, but there are letters referring to each measurement.

Thanks.

George.

Returning briefly to the ' Mother ' 9.2 Howitzer, the next set of photographs track the 9.2 Howitzer's display, starting from it's 1920 display at the Imperial War Museum, Crystal Palace, then to South Kensington in 1924, and then finally to Lambeth Road in 1936, where it remains today.

These photographs, also provide details of the 3 different IWM interiors.

The first 2 photograpsh shows the 9.2 Howitzer on display in the ' Army ' Gallery at the IWM Crystal Palace.

LF

post-63666-0-33536500-1448720717_thumb.j

post-63666-0-76683700-1448720831_thumb.j

IWM South Kensington 1924-1936.

LF

IWM These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-21269500-1448721165_thumb.j

' Mother ' in the original 1936 display setting at Lambeth Road.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-23273500-1448721783_thumb.j

The 9.2 ' Mother ' Howitzer's camouflaged paint scheme, as shown in a previous Lambeth Road display.

LF

post-63666-0-14473700-1448722127_thumb.j

The 9.2 ' Mother ' Howitzer's current Khaki Green paint scheme.

LF

post-63666-0-23651100-1448722359_thumb.j

King George V opening the first Imperial War Museum at Crystal Palace on 9th June, 1920.

LF

post-63666-0-74644800-1448722888_thumb.j

The original 1920 Imperial War Museum, Crystal Palace staff photographed in front of the 9.2 ' Mother ' Howitzer.

LF

post-63666-0-39546500-1448723391_thumb.j

The now camouflaged 9.2 ' Mother ' Howitzer's current display at Lambeth Road.

LF

Hi,

As of the beginning of this year, when I visited, it has been re-painted to the Khaki green (pre dazzle) and was moved from the proscenium into the WW1 exhibition hall. It has been located into a rather cramped area that has not permitted all round access and not all the operating platforms are fitted. One is stowed under the rear platform.

I would still love to know where all those excellent model exhibits of have now gone.....possibly in storage at Duxford.

George.

As of the beginning of this year, when I visited, it has been re-painted to the Khaki green (pre dazzle) and was moved from the proscenium into the WW1 exhibition hall.

George,

Thank you for confirming that the Khaki Green paint scheme, is the current paint scheme for the ' Mother ' 9.2 Howitzer at the IWM.

Regards,

LF

Having tracked the 9.2 ' Mother ' Howitzer around it's various locations during and since the end of WW1, the one photograph I was still missing, was that of the ' Mother ' 9.2 Howitzer shown during it's time at the School of Gunnery in Shoeburyness, Essex where it was used for training until it's barrel was worn out. Then, in January 1918, with it's barrel re-lined, it was returned to active service in France.

I have now found the missing photograph, which shows the ' Mother ' 9.2 Howitzer at Shoeburyness' Gantry Battery.

This photograph, also shows good details of the 9.2 Howitzer's pre-fabricated Dirt Box.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-48449700-1448810693_thumb.j

Having tracked the 9.2 ' Mother ' Howitzer around it's various locations during and since the end of WW1, the one photograph I was still missing, was that of the ' Mother ' 9.2 Howitzer shown during it's time at the School of Gunnery in Shoeburyness, Essex where it was used for training until it's barrel was worn out. Then, in January 1918, with it's barrel re-lined, it was returned to active service in France.

I have now found the missing photograph, which shows the ' Mother ' 9.2 Howitzer at Shoeburyness' Gantry Battery.

This photograph, also shows good details of the 9.2 Howitzer's pre-fabricated Dirt Box.

LF

Another excellent find LF.

There are some interesting details that I have noted before, the "quick action" elevation hand-wheel and foot pedal has been mentioned before, plus the brackets on the main bed sides do show "pickets" have been driven down....possibly into the corresponding housings on the holdfast....one thing I have not seen before, the air pump located below the barrel and to the left, has a domed cover....this was one area I was interested in getting detailed photographs of when I visited the IWM. There is no mention of it in the manual or drawings, the pump would be prone to being covered in mud, so some form of protection would seem sensible.

Thanks again for posting this and others.....

George.