Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

They are so convincing, I can't imagine how any enemy flyers could ever have known if one was a dummy or not.

David,

From a distance, as you say, they look very convincing.

Here is another photograph of two ' Dummy Tanks ' in position on the battlefield, again looking extremely realistic.

Regards,

LF

AWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-92525800-1423579874_thumb.j

Two photographs showing a wheeled British Dummy Tank, harnessed to a pair of horses, being moved into position somewhere on the Western Front.

LF

CNA This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-55134900-1423657614_thumb.j

LF

CNA This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-68390800-1423658264_thumb.j

Lancs,

Great images, think that the nearside horse is due for some oats!

Mike.

Lancs,

Great images, think that the nearside horse is due for some oats!

Thanks Mike, and yes, that horse's ribs do look a little pronounced, I am sure it is just the photo's angle, as the British Army's care of their horses was typically extremely high.

Regards,

LF

Some of the most detailed ' Dummy Tanks ' were manufactured at the Tank Corps' H.Q. Depot at Bovington in Dorset, previously the H.Q. of the Heavy Branch of the Machine Gun Corps.

In the attached photograph, we see several highly detailed Medium Mark A ' Whippet ' Dummy Tanks under construction at Bovington.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-00595900-1423747716_thumb.j

LF, I'm loving this topic and tune in regularly for updates, add value where I can. But (and this is not a criticism), since it has moved beyond the realm of the original "1916 x 50 cards", do new topics such as "Dummy Tanks" deserve their own home? Speaking selfishly of course, but I'm finding it hard work wading through 128 pages of brilliant stuff.

Thanks, and looking forward to more great stuff!

WB

LF, I'm loving this topic and tune in regularly for updates, add value where I can. But (and this is not a criticism), since it has moved beyond the realm of the original "1916 x 50 cards", do new topics such as "Dummy Tanks" deserve their own home? Speaking selfishly of course, but I'm finding it hard work wading through 128 pages of brilliant stuff.

WB,

I appreciate your comments.

As johnboy says, " if it has wheels or an engine it qualifies " and has a place in this Thread.

As I research and learn about a particular ' WW1 wheeled ' topic, I share that information and related photographs via this Thread, which is more like a Blog, in the hope that yourself and others may also find it of interest.

I am constantly using the search box for this Thread to go back and revisit topics which have been covered over the past 3+ years, and are contained in those previous 128 pages, and can instantly find what I wish to review.

At the moment, the topic is ' Dummy Tanks ' and I have quite a few more offerings to make on this topic. Already, I have my next topic ready to post once that on the Dummy Tanks ends.

I hope you will continue to find this Thread interesting.

Regards,

LF

WB,

I appreciate your comments.

As johnboy says, " if it has wheels or an engine it qualifies " and has a place in this Thread.

As I research and learn about a particular ' WW1 wheeled ' topic, I share that information and related photographs via this Thread, which is more like a Blog, in the hope that yourself and others may also find it of interest.

I am constantly using the search box for this Thread to go back and revisit topics which have been covered over the past 3+ years, and are contained in those previous 128 pages, and can instantly find what I wish to review.

At the moment, the topic is ' Dummy Tanks ' and I have quite a few more offerings to make on this topic. Already, I have my next topic ready to post once that on the Dummy Tanks ends.

I hope you will continue to find this Thread interesting.

Regards,

LF

Fair enough. Keep 'em coming! This topic is prominently starred my bookmarks bar. It's a showcase for the value of this forum, to be sure.

WB

Continuing the "Dummy Tank" thread, there are some other interesting examples highlighted in the "WW1 Landships" forum, including some German dummy tanks.

At least two of the examples appear to be dummies of British tanks captured (or created?) by the German army.

The same type of British Dummy Tank as that shown in posts #3176/77, under construction at the Tank Corps Depot at Rollancourt in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of Northern France.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-28729000-1423832718_thumb.j

Well done LF. sorry I have not got any dummy armoured cars, I am still follow this thread , lots of interesting things come up, re the body builders I was very interested in that blue Rolls Royce .

Thanks

Crimson Rambler

re the body builders I was very interested in that blue Rolls Royce .

Good to hear from you, and yes the Rolls-Royce 10 EX is superb.

In the early 1920s, Rolls-Royce asked their Coachbuilders, Barker & Co., to design sporty bodywork for their new Phantom I chassis No.10 EX. Barkers came up with a superb racy version of the Rolls-Royce Continental Silver Ghost known as the Experimental 10 or 10 EX.
Three other versions were built 15 EX, 16 EX and 17 EX.
Roll-Royce kept 10 EX at their factory and used it for promotions, and at one time loaned it to T. E. Lawrence ( Lawrence of Arabia ) for a European Tour.
Roll-Royce sold 10 EX as a second-hand car in 1931, and I understand that it was recently sold for 500,000 pounds.
Attached are some more photographs of the superb RR 10 EX which was recently sold, and some photographs of Rolls-Royce EXs from previous years.
Regards,
LF
A selection of photographs of the beautiful Rolls-Royce 10 EX, recently sold for some 500,000 pounds.
These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-39985200-1423849081_thumb.j

post-63666-0-64461600-1423849099_thumb.j

post-63666-0-81891200-1423849171_thumb.j

post-63666-0-25062700-1423849189_thumb.j

I was very interested in that blue Rolls Royce .

Barker's Rolls-Royce 10 EX.

Regards,

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-43652700-1423849430_thumb.j

Rolls-Royce EXs.

These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-80255100-1423850050_thumb.j

post-63666-0-45765000-1423850067_thumb.j

A lovely 1914 Rolls Royce Double Cabriolet by Barker. Presumably this would have been based on the same chassis and engine as the armoured car they produced(?).

13cc4e1a40394db06f9ab75ca4c09fd9.jpg

Here's another shot:

Silver-Ghost-Barker-Double-Cabriolet-191

Photos of EX10 in # 3189 and lower in # 3190, both taken in the Paddock at Brooklands racing circuit Weybridge, the railings either side of the Test Hill can be seen in the background. Think that EX10 was used there for high speed tyre testing by Rolls Royce. The Barker Cabriolet # 3191, indeed had the same Silver Ghost chassis and six cylinder engine as the Rolls Royce armoured car.

Mike.

Will's WW1 Military Motors - Card No.11 - British Motor Laboratory.

" Every care and precaution that medical science can devise is utilised to mimimise the suffering, and to stop the spread of disease amongst our brave soldiers. Bacteriological laboratories are fitted out for studying any new phase of disease that may develop on the actual field of battle ".

LF

Not identical, but similar to card #11, especially with the chain driven rear wheel setup, but this one American rather than British:

page71.jpg

Will's WW1 Military Motors - Card No.34 - French Motor Bus.

" Our brave allies are using some of their Parisian Motor Buses for a most novel and useful purpose. Live sheep are closely packed in the buses and carried as near to the firing line as possible, to provide fresh meat for their Army "

The same model of Parisian motor bus, minus the sheep, at the Front in WW1:

1912 Barker Silver Ghost:

Currently for sale via Vintage & Prestige.

RB8_2687-X2.jpg

From "Classic and Sportscar":

1912 40/50hp Double Pullman Limousine known as the 'Corgi' Rolls-Royce. With Barker coachwork, the distinctive Silver Ghost was delivered new to John Stephens in Croydon and got its nickname in the 1960s when it was immortalised by the model company in its Corgi Classics series.

1912_rolls_royce_silver_ghost_-_the_corg

Photos of EX10 in # 3189 and lower in # 3190, both taken in the Paddock at Brooklands racing circuit Weybridge, the railings either side of the Test Hill can be seen in the background.

Mike,

Thank you for identifying Brooklands, I know that there were speed trials there to see if they could get the Rolls-Royce 10 EX to exceed 100 mph.

Regards,

LF

Not identical, but similar to card #11, especially with the chain driven rear wheel setup, but this one American rather than British:

Many thanks for the post, the vehicle shown is an American ' Peerless ' rear wheel chain-drive truck.

Here is another photograph of the American Peerless Field Laboratory Car.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-51442600-1423919106_thumb.j

Back to the Dummy Tanks.

Two photographs of a British Dummy Tank, being man-handled through the narrow streets of a town somewhere of the Western Front.

LF

post-63666-0-33514700-1423919661_thumb.j