Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Panoramic battlefield scenes of the Gun Carrier in action are rare, and the attached photograph is the only one I have seen. It shows a ' Supply ' Gun Carrier in action during the Battle of Amiens travelling along a road whilst taking supplies to infantry in the nearby Suzanne Wood area, close to the village of Suzanne in the Somme region of Northern France. The village of Suzanne is 8 miles S.E. of Albert, and was captured by the Australian 3rd Division on 26th August 1918, and it is probable that the Australian soldiers shown in the previous post, were from the Australian 3rd Division.

LF

AWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-47751100-1420635583_thumb.j

Two more photograph showing the damage caused by German shelling on the afternoon of 7th August 1918 to many of the 16 Gun Carriers which had been allotted to the 5th Division, and were lying-up in an orchard just North of the town of Villers-Bretenneux prior to the commencement of the Battle of Amiens, which was to start the next day, August 8th, 1918.

LF

AWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-79379700-1420721979_thumb.j

LF

post-63666-0-49272800-1420722113_thumb.j

From the Imperial War Museum's model collection, a fine scale model of a Gun Carrier Mark I transporting a 6-inch Howitzer.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-05108600-1420811936_thumb.j

The IWM do need to display all the models in one large display. It would be a sight to behold! I have been scanning the model forums for conversions to gun carriers and the crane version(it is not an armoured recovery vehicle (ARV in modern parlance) it is possible but a big fiddle to do. Something to aim for in 2016 with my stash.

Like most museums the IWM has gone all arty farty and interparative (for kids and childish adults). Display of 'things' like vehicle models, trench dioramas and landscape constructions for use on the dams raid and Picard raid which I loved as a child simply are no longer considered to fall within the idiot quotient they consider essential to drag in school parties.On my recent visit it seemed that the only shop they did not have - and most were filled with pocket money tat - was a nocking shop. Now there's a thought!

Two of the 50 Gun Carrier Mk I Models made by Kitson & Co., of Leeds were fitted with crane jibs to be used as ' Salvage Tanks ', one is shown in post # 2995 photographed at ' Plateau Station ' loaded on a train, and here is the other.

Although it may have no real relevance, the man in this photograph standing in front of the Gun Carrier ' Salvage Tank ' is in naval uniform.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-29360100-1420899143_thumb.j

My final photograph of a Gun Carrier Mark I, shows 2 Gun Carriers taking part in the Battle of Albert, parked in the village of Bihucourt, in Flanders.

Bihucourt was captured by the 37th Division and six Mark V tanks of the 10th Battalion, Tank Corps, on the 23rd August 1918.

Also shown in the photograph, is a Royal Engineer's Cable Limber.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-14546900-1420983953_thumb.j

The 50 Gun Carrier Mark I produced during WW1, were built by Kitson & Co. at their Airedale Foundry works at Hunslet, near Leeds.

James Kitson founded the company in 1835, and by 1866 Kitson & Co. had become major manufacturers of railway locomotives, providing a large number of locomotives for the Midland Railway.

Following a very busy period during WW1, trade dropped off in the 1920s, and in 1938 the company ceased trading, with the Airedale Foundry works closing in 1959.

A Kitson & Co. trade advertisement for their railway locomotives.

LF

post-63666-0-50418400-1420988364_thumb.j

A 1905 photograph of Sir James Kitson, founder of Kitson & Co., and his son Roland outside their home at Gledhow Hall.

Gledhow Hall was designed by John Carr in 1764, and today, is converted into flats.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-13327400-1420989113_thumb.j

LF. Do you have a date for the Kitson trade advertisement?

David

The inauguration of Leeds’ new trolleybus system that took place on the 20th June 1911. The first bus was driven from Thirsk Row (off Wellington Street) to Farnley by Lord Mayor William Middlebrook. The second bus was driven by Deputy Lord Mayor Frederick James Kitson, the grandson of James Kitson, the founder of the Airedale Foundry. Farnley is four miles away from the city centre, and the round trip took 45 minutes.

LF

Yorkshire Post. This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-71942900-1420989608_thumb.j

The archway on Pearson Street, Hunslet, through which Kitson's Locomotives and the Gun Carriers would have emerged. This Listed structure, along with the adjacent walls, is all that remains of the Airedale Foundry.

LF

post-63666-0-30711600-1420990279_thumb.j

Another view of the remaining entrance to Kitson's Airedale Foundry on Pearson Street, Hunslet.

LF

post-63666-0-62902600-1420990834_thumb.j

Like most museums the IWM has gone all arty farty and interparative (for kids and childish adults). Display of 'things' like vehicle models, trench dioramas and landscape constructions for use on the dams raid and Picard raid which I loved as a child simply are no longer considered to fall within the idiot quotient they consider essential to drag in school parties.On my recent visit it seemed that the only shop they did not have - and most were filled with pocket money tat - was a nocking shop. Now there's a thought!

Regimental Museum Brecon of the Welsh Regiment has a fine diorama of the forces in the Great war. British, German and French all included. I shall include pictures of LF allows it.

Regimental Museum Brecon of the Welsh Regiment has a fine diorama of the forces in the Great war. British, German and French all included. I shall include pictures of LF allows it.

Scalyback,

Nobody needs permission to post here, least of all from LF. It would be great to see those dioramas, and all contributions to this Thread are always most welcome.

Regards,

LF

I shall post them from the back up hard drive. Just thought it may be out of style of motors.

Not at all, it relates directly to posts # 3029 and 3030.

Regards,

LF

I had previously posted photographs of the German tandem bicycle, cleverly used to generate power to a German Field Telephone/Telegraph, including a photograph of one machine captured by the British ( see attached ).

LF

IWM These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-87486300-1421067743_thumb.j

post-63666-0-32028600-1421067756_thumb.j

Here is a very nice photograph of the complete German Mobile Field Telephone/Telegraph Unit powered by the tandem bicycle. This photo shows the tandem bicycle linked to a generator, the Field Telephone/Telegraph Wagon with extendable mast, and the 6 man team operating the unit.

LF

post-63666-0-87156500-1421098856_thumb.j

With the hulls of the French and Belgian Canal Barges being converted into hospital wards, and there being no easy access from the upper decks to the ward below, it was hard to understand how stretcher patients were brought down from the upper decks to the ward below.

In the attached photo, we see that the Ambulance Barge has been been adapted with the fitting of a hoist/lift so that stretcher patients can be lowered from the upper deck to the ward below.

LF

post-63666-0-08258000-1421161456_thumb.j

Being used to seeing WW1 Ambulance Trains painted in the dark coloured liveries of the British regional railway companies, it was interesting to see a WW1 British Ambulance Train painted all in white.
This white Ambulance Train, was used on the Kantara to Palestine railway line, with the white paint being used to deflect the bright sun of the desert region, and assist in keeping the Ambulance Train's interior a little cooler.
In the early part of WW1, Kantara was an important point in the defence of Suez against Turkish attacks, and marked the start of the new railway line going east towards Sinai and Palestine, begun in January 1916.
Kantara developed into a major base and hospital centre, with the British cemetery at Kantara, which was begun in February 1916, being used for burials from the hospital, this cemetery continued to be used until late 1920.
Kantara is some 99 miles N.E. of Cairo.

LF

post-63666-0-16325600-1421244147_thumb.j

Interesting, thanks LF

David

Wounded Australian troops who were among the first casualties of the fighting at Gaza, lying alongside the Ambulance Train which will evacuate them to the hospital at Kantara.

This white painted Ambulance Train, is the same train shown in the previous post minus the external window shutters.

LF

post-63666-0-29591000-1421255552_thumb.j