Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

I am pleased that you are enjoying this Thread, and I also read that your Great Grandfather's Battery ( 63rd Siege Battery, R.G.A. ) deployed to France with 2 x 12 inch Railway Howitzers on 2nd March, 1916.

Regards,

LF

It's fascinating to be able to find out exactly how these guns work and the sheer amount of man power needed to deploy them .

I have started a thread about my G Grandad and thanks to you wonderful people on here I have found out some information about him and his Battery although if any one knows any more I would be most grateful !

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=220535

Thanks again !

Joanne

Thanks for following my request JOANNE. Glad you have picked up things on this thread.

It's fascinating to be able to find out exactly how these guns work and the sheer amount of man power needed to deploy them .

I have started a thread about my G Grandad and thanks to you wonderful people on here I have found out some information about him and his Battery although if any one knows any more I would be most grateful !

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=220535

Thanks again !

Joanne

Joanne,

You seem to be making excellent progress with your Great Grandfather's WW1 history, and I am sure more will appear.

Regards,

LF

The front and rear views of the Ford 3-ton Model 1918 Tank on display at the Patton Museum, Fort Knox, Kentucky, USA., this being one of only two Ford M1918 Tanks still existing today. These photos also provide excellent details of Ford M1918, including the tank's original paint scheme.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-46921300-1418135027_thumb.j

Rear view of the Ford 3-ton Model 1918 Tank on display at the Patton Museum, Fort Knox, Kentucky, USA.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-05558900-1418135224_thumb.j

Interesting that the men on the right are holding something that looks as if it could be a smaller version of the thing in the barrel in post#2815. Is it for cleaning or ramming something home. The lenghth suggests cleaning?

post-99311-0-15328900-1418136561_thumb.j

Interesting that the men on the right are holding something that looks as if it could be a smaller version of the thing in the barrel in post#2815. Is it for cleaning or ramming something home. The lenghth suggests cleaning?

johnboy,

They are carrying the Howitzer's Ramrod, which was used both to ram home the shell and charge once it was positioned in the breech, and also to clean the barrel.

If you look at the short film I previously posted of the 12 inch Railway Howitzer in action, you will see the Gunners using the Ramrod to both ram home the shell and charge, and they also cover the end of the Ramrod with sacking which is then used to clean the barrel.

The wooden beam sticking out of the barrel in post # 2815 is not the Ramrod, I think that wooden beam has been placed in the Howitzer's barrel purely as a extension to help secure the barrel when not in use.

Regards,

LF

I think that wooden beam has been placed in the Howitzer's barrel purely as a extension to help secure the barrel when not in use.

Maybe it was used when travelling to stop the gun slewing? A fully tensioned chain across the top of the barrel could damage it.

The thread continues to be interesting and informative. Who knows what will come out of the woodwork in the next few years given the focus of the Centenary.

Best wishes to LF and other contributors for keeping it live and to members in general! Rod

post-36102-0-13121600-1418168466_thumb.j

I think that wooden beam has been placed in the Howitzer's barrel purely as a extension to help secure the barrel when not in use.

Maybe it was used when travelling to stop the gun slewing? A fully tensioned chain across the top of the barrel could damage it.

johnboy,

In posts #2782/83 showing the Railway Howitzer in the ' Travelling Position ' there is a cable secured across the barrel to keep it steady, as you say.

Regards,

LF

The thread continues to be interesting and informative. Who knows what will come out of the woodwork in the next few years given the focus of the Centenary.

Best wishes to LF and other contributors for keeping it live and to members in general! Rod

Rod,

Many thanks for the comments, and the nice Charabanc Christmas Card.

Is that Charabanc an early ' Leyland ' perhaps an X4 Type ?

Regards,

LF

The engine compartment on the Ford 3-ton Model 1918 Tank, showing the 2 side-by-side Ford Model T 4 Cylinder, water-cooled 45 hp engines, each with its own electrical starter.

LF

post-63666-0-74652800-1418214867_thumb.j

Lancs

Thanks as ever for the 'slide show'. Having had a really good look at rail guns, how does your collection stand on pictures of the 4.7 inch both before and during the war. I have done a great deal of research on it, but found very few pictures.

Best regards

David

Re post #2885... thanks LF. You would be on the money re Leyland. The Aust. Flying Corps had a number of the same model lorries in Europe however I would have to check on the model. Rod

Lancs

Thanks as ever for the 'slide show'. Having had a really good look at rail guns, how does your collection stand on pictures of the 4.7 inch both before and during the war. I have done a great deal of research on it, but found very few pictures.

Best regards

David

David,

I have a lot of photographs of the 4.7 Quick Firing Gun, taken both pre-WW1 and during WW1. I have a few more days of postings related to the Ford M1918 Tank, and then I shall gladly post the 4.7 Gun photos. Although originally designed as a naval and coastal defence gun, having been brought ashore during the Boer War and fitted with travelling wheeled carriages designed by Captain Percy Scott, that makes them legitimately eligible for inclusion in this Thread.

By coincidence, the 4.7 QF Guns were designed and manufactured by Armstrong Whitworth & Co. Ltd., at their Elswick, Newcastle factory, as were the 12 inch Railway Howitzers.

Regards,

LF

Re post #2885... thanks LF. You would be on the money re Leyland. The Aust. Flying Corps had a number of the same model lorries in Europe however I would have to check on the model. Rod

Rod,

Here is another Australian Flying Corps transport photograph, the caption says it shows members of No 3 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps gathered in front of a German ' Benz ' motor charabanc that was salvaged by the squadron and used by them to convey men on leave. They painted the Australian ' Rising Sun ' emblem on the side of the bus and ' 3rd AFC ' written inside the insignia.

Interestingly, the man on the far left is wearing the British Army Service Corps Driver's heavy canvas sheepskin lined coat with front toggle fasteners, so I am not sure if he is British ASC, or if the Australians were also issued with the British ASC Driver's coats ?

Regards,

LF

AWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-39697800-1418303869_thumb.j

Ford 3ton tank being tested?

johnboy,

Many thanks for some great footage of early tests of the Ford 3-ton Model 1918 Tank, which clearly needed a little more work to be done both with the machine and the drivers.

Here is some additional footage taken of the Ford M1918's tests in Michigan, which seem to have gone much better.

Regards,

LF

This photograph shows a good comparison in the size of the three tanks used by the Americans, from left to right, the 3-ton M1918, the 6-ton M1917, and the 37-ton Mark VIII.

LF

post-63666-0-36195200-1418319263_thumb.j

Ref #2890 - LF thanks for posting. Yes I have seen the image before and it does raise a couple of interesting points to the uninitiated etc! As a side note, according to somebody who should know the AWM images were mostly captioned by appointed archivists soon after the War. With benefit of hindsight etc. a number of them have found to be inaccurate with respect to some details. Back to the image posted....the AFC tended to do their own thing in some instances. They adopted the RFC Establishment and Scale of Issue etc. They were the only AIF Units to be issued with Leyland lorries for instance.

As you have noted, some uniform items common to both AFC and RFC personnel make it interesting when resolving image content. To tackle the coat first.... the " Scale of Clothing and Necessaries for Troops serving in the United Kingdom” dated the 4th July 1916, issued at the Training Centre Tidworth records that "Drivers of vehicles with internal combustion engines will receive a coat, sheepskin lined, in lieu of drab overcoat". In a later instruction this and other items are also listed for personnel embarking for Europe. The peaked cap is another item from this image.... from the War diary of the 6th AFC Sqn .... "Approval is given for the issue to the AFC of RFC Pattern caps with the Australian badge. Also seen in a later document containing uniform issue items to AFC embarking for Europe etc. is an RAF cap. The RFC cap style is floppy for the want of a better word whereas the standard Aust. pattern was more formally defined. The leggings on the Corporal sitting on the running board would appear to be an officer pat. as opposed to the standard Stowasser version. I daresay the charabanc would have an interesting story to tell. Rod

Lancs,

As ever,thank you. I have done a great deal of research on the gun and it's employment before and during the war. Happy to share with you if you would find it of any help.

Regards

David

Lancs,

As ever,thank you. I have done a great deal of research on the gun and it's employment before and during the war. Happy to share with you if you would find it of any help.

Regards

David

David,

Many thanks, however, as you have already done the all the research work yourself, it would be nice if you are willing, for you to post your research on the 4.7 Gun here, I can then work around your posted information on the 4.7 with the photographs, which range in date from the British Army's earliest use of the 4.7 Gun during the Boer War through to WW1.

Your research on the 4.7 Gun, and the photographs should make for an interesting topic for this Thread.

I have some more photographs related to the Ford M1918 to post today, and again tomorrow, so if you are willing and able, Sunday morning would be a good time to switch to the 4.7 Gun topic.

Regards,

LF

" Scale of Clothing and Necessaries for Troops serving in the United Kingdom” dated the 4th July 1916, issued at the Training Centre Tidworth records that "Drivers of vehicles with internal combustion engines will receive a coat, sheepskin lined, in lieu of drab overcoat". In a later instruction this and other items are also listed for personnel embarking for Europe. The peaked cap is another item from this image.... from the War diary of the 6th AFC Sqn .... "Approval is given for the issue to the AFC of RFC Pattern caps with the Australian badge. Also seen in a later document containing uniform issue items to AFC embarking for Europe etc. is an RAF cap. The RFC cap style is floppy for the want of a better word whereas the standard Aust. pattern was more formally defined. The leggings on the Corporal sitting on the running board would appear to be an officer pat. as opposed to the standard Stowasser version.

Rod,

Many thanks for the interesting information on the sharing of uniforms, which explains the British ASC Driver's Coat.

Regards,

LF

Following the Armistice and the cancellation of Ford's Model 1918 Tank project, Ford continued to work with the American War Department on developing tracked vehicles suitable for use by the U.S. Military.

One such project, was Ford's Model T motorcar fitted with the ' Chase ' tracked system. The ' Chase ' tracked system was developed by Mr. Aurin M. Chase who had previously worked for the Syracuse Chilled Plow Company manufacturers of farming equipment, before forming his own motor company in 1907, The Chase Motor Truck Company, again based in Syracuse, New York State.

Chase's ' rubberized ' track system was designed to allow military tracked vehicles to travel at the speed of conventional motor vehicles when travelling on good roads, whereas previous tracked system vehicles which had been developed from low-speed agricultural vehicles, could still only achieve low speeds even on good roads.

In the Ford tests of their Model T motorcar, which normally had a speed of 45 mph, and when fitted with the ' Chase ' tracked system, the Model T was still able to achieve significantly high speeds of 37 mph.

Chase's system consisted of two rubberized fabric belts which were connected together by steel stampings riveted to each belt, the ends of the stampings were turned over to the inside so as to form a guide into which the conventional wheels of the motor vehicle would fit.

In additional to the motor vehicles regular 4 wheels, there were 4 extra wheels, 2 on each side, which are the same size and are located between the motor vehicle's front and rear wheels, with the regular front and rear wheels lifted off the ground and yet still driving the rubberized tracks on each side of the vehicle.

In tests, and travelling over 1300 miles, the rubberized tracks on Chase's system showed only minimal wear.

To deal effectively with ' off road ' travel, Ford's experimental tracked Model T was fitted with a special commercial transmission system which doubles the gear reduction, so that the lower set of gears could be used when ' off road '.

The attached photographs show tests being carried out by the U.S. Military on Ford's experimental Model T motorcar fitted with the ' Chase ' rubberized tracked system.

LF

post-63666-0-56910900-1418399857_thumb.j

Ford's experimental Model T motorcar fitted with the ' Chase ' rubberized tracked system, being tested by the U.S. Military.

LF

Ford tank Model T tracked Vehicle 1.jpg

post-63666-0-00754300-1418400153_thumb.j