Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Dear LF and company, as a regular follower and sometimes contributor to the very interesting topic of mechanical transport one would have to make the casual observation that we seem to be drifting just a tad 'off topic' and there is not a single wheel to be seen. No problems with same but perhaps the thread title needs an update! Regards.

Rod,

I feel ships are legitimate WW1 transport, and in keeping with this Thread. This current ' ship ' theme arose from my wanting to illustrate that whilst Thornycroft & Company were well known for their J-Type Lorry, they were also major shipbuilders during WW1, which personally, I found be to interesting. Which in turn led to my posts on Thornycroft's ' HMS Nubian, which again I thought was interesting from a WW1 mechanical prospective, as it was the first time the Royal Navy had joined two damaged ships together to form a new ship, which in turn led to a follower of this Thread asking a question regarding Scapa Flow, which is where we are today.

Anyway, staying with the ' Thornycroft ' theme, and an item which certainly has a few wheels, it is an interesting 1915 photograph showing a one week's production of the Thornycroft J-Type Lorry lined up in a road in Basingstoke, which was the location of the Thornycroft lorry factory.

Regards,

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-04274000-1412166750_thumb.j

I made a similar comment some time ago but was assured by LF that it wasn't.

Johnboy,

Whenever possible, I try to respond to questions from followers of this Thread, which are all related to the general WW1 transport theme and hopefully, this Thread contains some useful and interesting information on WW1 transport and related topics.

With so many ' wheeled ' photographs still to post, I hope there is something of interest for all.

Regards,

LF

Fear not the doubters Lancs. "I love you just the way you are." Keep it coming. Trains and boats and planes" - it's all transport of one kind or another.

David

Ships do have wheel's - whats the problem?!

David

Thank you for your comments. Absolutely no problems David & David and certainly no doubts coming from this direction re the very interesting and appreciated images that LF has sourced (let alone the time and effort to post same) and is sharing with the rest of us however and correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that as forum members we all have the same rights be it a newcomer or an arm chair General as another forum calls their members therefore and as Johnboy so succinctly put it a while back we are quite entitled to ask the question with no ulterior motive/s intended. Thanks LF for your input and yes tangents are a great thing if they don't rob from the core direction or theme. "WWI Motors" is a quite distinct thread descriptor and it is probably one of the more informative web addresses on said topic at this time however if interested members wish to expand to all aspects of WW1 Transportation similar to that recorded in “Transportation on the Western Front”, 1914 to 1918 – Compiled by Colonel A.M. Henniker etc. then so be it. That's what democracy is all about! Cheers ... Rod

Thank you for your comments. Absolutely no problems David & David and certainly no doubts coming from this direction re the very interesting and appreciated images that LF has sourced (let alone the time and effort to post same) and is sharing with the rest of us however and correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that as forum members we all have the same rights be it a newcomer or an arm chair General as another forum calls their members therefore and as Johnboy so succinctly put it a while back we are quite entitled to ask the question with no ulterior motive/s intended. Thanks LF for your input and yes tangents are a great thing if they don't rob from the core direction or theme. "WWI Motors" is a quite distinct thread descriptor and it is probably one of the more informative web addresses on said topic at this time however if interested members wish to expand to all aspects of WW1 Transportation similar to that recorded in “Transportation on the Western Front”, 1914 to 1918 – Compiled by Colonel A.M. Henniker etc. then so be it. That's what democracy is all about! Cheers ... Rod

Rod,

We all seem to share a common interest in WW1, and WW1's transport, and as my personal interest is in WW1 vehicles, that will remain the main theme of my posts, and if from time to time there is a little detour into a related subject matter made either by myself or another follower of this Thread, I trust that everyone will bear with me/us while I/we go off on that tangent, which will inevitably lead back to motor vehicles.

Many thanks for the Col. Henniker book referral, which I shall certainly be buying ( hopefully, it is still available ).

Regards,

LF

As a follow up to posts # 2396 & 2396 on September 7, 2014, photographs of the ' Pedrail ' WD prototype Flamethrower Vehicle and Armoured Tracked Vehicle are extremely scarce, and I have fortunately found two more photographs. One was in the Imperial War Museum collection, and is captioned as being " an unidentified tractor ", it is however, a nice photograph of the prototype ' Pedrail ' Armoured Tracked Vehicle. The other photograph is of the ' Pedrail ' prototype flamethrower vehicle, and was taken at Bulford Camp on Salisbury Plain in 1917.

LF

The ' Pedrail ' prototype Armoured Tracked Vehicle.

IWMQ71029 This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-75248800-1412252953_thumb.j

The ' Pedrail ' prototype Flamethrower Vehicle, photographed at Bulford Camp, Salisbury Plain in 1917.

LF

AWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-27359500-1412253268_thumb.j

Can you just imagine the sheer amount of noise this machine must have made when it was in motion!

David

WHAT DID YOU SAY!!!!!

What was the engine type? Petrol, Steam or other?

As always top stuff LF. I enjoy bicycles, the are technicaly not "motor" but a vast under pinning of the tommy transport. So IMHO all transport is correct, we just happened to start with fantastic cig cards and advanced from there.

WHAT DID YOU SAY!!!!!

As always top stuff LF. I enjoy bicycles, the are technicaly not "motor" but a vast under pinning of the tommy transport. So IMHO all transport is correct, we just happened to start with fantastic cig cards and advanced from there.

PARDON!

Can someone explain how the pedrail flamethrower worked? It seems to me that being on rails its effectiveness would be only just higher than nil.

Can someone explain how the pedrail flamethrower worked? It seems to me that being on rails its effectiveness would be only just higher than nil.

Johnboy,

The ' Pedrail ' Flamethrower Tracked Vehicle did not run on rails, it was a tracked vehicle capable of moving over open ground. Take a look at post # 2396 on 7 September, and you will see two excellent photographs of this tracked vehicle on open ground on Salisbury Plain.

The chassis for the Flamethrower Tracked Vehicle is almost the same as that shown in post 2506, and it was the forerunner of the WW1 ' Tank '.

Regards,

LF

Scalyback,

The ' Pedrail ' Armoured Tracked Vehicle was originally designed to be powered by two Rolls-Royce 46 hp engines, and when that vehicle was later modified to be used as the prototype Flamethrower Tracked Vehicle, the engines were changed to 2 x 100 hp Astor engines, with both types of engine being petrol engines.

Regards,

LF

Can you just imagine the sheer amount of noise this machine must have made when it was in motion!

David

David,

Remember, it was originally designed to be an armoured troop carrier taking up to 70 men and their weapons into action as a ' trench storming unit ', so the interior of the vehicle would have been filled with deafening noise, suffocating fumes and intense heat, in other words, just like the interior of its counterpart, the WW1 ' Tank '.

Regards,

LF

Two photographs of the Simplex 40 hp ' Open ' Trench Tractor No. 2145 damaged by shell fire at the light rail yard in the Menin Road - Birr Cross Road area east of Ypres in October 1917.

LF

AWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-93589400-1412336477_thumb.j

post-63666-0-35617900-1412336632_thumb.j

Two photographs of the Simplex 40 hp ' Open ' Trench Tractor No. 2145 damaged by shell fire at the light rail yard in the Menin Road - Birr Cross Road area east of Ypres in October 1917, having been recovered and brought in for repair.

LF

post-63666-0-31640000-1412337054_thumb.j

post-63666-0-50714300-1412337251_thumb.j

' Albion ' the Scottish Lorry.

The Albion Motor Company Ltd., was founded on 30th December 1899 in Glasgow, Scotland by cousins Norman Osborne Fulton and Dr. Thomas Blackwood Murray (1871-1929), both being related to George Johnson, who in 1896, along with Sir William Arrol, had founded the Arrol-Johnson Car Company Ltd., with both the founders of the Albion Motor Company Ltd., having previously worked for Arrol-Johnson.

Originally located in Finnieston Street, Glasgow, and employing just 7 employees, in 1903 The Albion Motor Company moved to much larger premises in Scotstoun, Glasgow eventually employing 1800 people.

The Albion Motor Company became known for the high quality, reliability and dependability of their vehicles with their sales slogan being ' Sure as the Sunrise ' and the ' Sunrise ' logo becoming the radiator badge of the Albion Motor Company.

Albion built their first motor car the Albion ' A1 ' in 1900, which was powered by an 8 hp engine. In 1903, Albion produced their 16 hp vertical twin-engine ' A3 ' motor car, and in 1906, their 24 hp 4-cylinder motor car.

A small commercial vehicle version of their 16 hp twin-engine motor car, known as the A3 was sold in small numbers to the British Army prior to WW1, and in 1910 Albion produced a larger version of the A3, the 32 hp A10, rear-wheel chain driven 3-ton truck, with some 8,000 Albion A10s eventually being sold to the War Department. The Albion A10 3-ton truck was used on the Western Front, in the Middle-East and also in Salonika during WW1.

LF

An Albion A10 lorry on the Western Front at Villers Bretonneux, east of Amiens on the main road to St. Quentin in the Aisne Region of France.

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-85843700-1412431079_thumb.j

The distinctive Albion A10 radiator grill with ' Albion ' lettering.

LF

post-63666-0-04879700-1412431401_thumb.j

The Battle of St. Quentin Canal, pursuit to the Selle River.
Albion A10, 3 ton lorries, carrying infantry forward near Joncourt whilst gunners of the Royal Field Artillery pull an 18-pounder field gun from a roadside ditch, 9 October 1918.
The village of Joncourt in the Aisne Region of France, was immediately west of the German fortification known as the Beaurevoir-Fonsomme Line.
LF
IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-01577700-1412432178_thumb.j

The Battle of St. Quentin Canal, pursuit to the Selle River.
Albion A10, 3 ton lorries, carrying infantry forward near Joncourt, 9 October 1918.
LF
IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-17525700-1412432985_thumb.j

Rear and side view of the Albion A10 3-ton Lorry, being used to transport Australian troops taking part in the fighting around Villers Bretonneux in the Aisne Region of France during the Battle of St. Quentin in October 1918.

LF

post-63666-0-34057700-1412434209_thumb.j