Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian nurses in QAIMNSR

kjharris

I have only 3 ladies listed in my database at this stage who were definitely Australian & definitely in the FANY:

Mona Charlesworth (nee Goodisson)

Adela Crockett

Gwen Peyton-Jones

These 3 ladies were all born & raised in Victoria

I too would be interested in any 'proof' as regarding other Australians....

Cheers, Frev

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the list - I am familiar with Jenny's website. Some of these ladies may have worked in the Australian headquarters at some stage as they (if they are the same person) had an Australian medical file listing in London. But there seem to be only four who were Australians in the FANY.

cheers Kirsty

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this clarification about the Australian FANYs.

In Carrie's Wilson's letter at http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/109500547, she says

"After a few weeks rest we sailed again with the same unit for Cherbourg, taking all equipment for a hospital of 100 beds. I must tell you that in our party were five Australians — Queensland, Victoria, New South Wales, and South Australia being represented. Two owned and drove motor ambulances, one of these being a sporting little Victorian girl, who always kept the Australian flag flying on her motor; she managed her ambulance equal to the best chauffeur and was a great favourite."

Assuming the five Australians were Caroline Wilson (SA), Claire Trestrail (SA), Catherine (Kitty) Tully (NSW) after the Stobart Hospital in Antwerp, the two ambulance drivers were from Queensland and Victoria. The three Australian FANY women listed above by Frev were from Victoria but none of them is named by Dr Mabel Ramsay in the listing at http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/165.html

Perhaps someone else has checked the whether any others named in Dr Ramsay's list were Australian.

Cheers

Sarah