Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian nurses in QAIMNSR

kjharris

A huge public thank you Sue, for sharing the document :thumbsup:

I've now updated her file - Cheers, Frev

WATSON, Harriet Elizabeth – Staff Nurse, TFNS

Born 21/1/1884 Sandhurst (Bendigo) – daughter of George Harris WATSON (d.1908 Bendigo) & Elizabeth Mary BARROW (d.1912 England), who married in Hobart, Tas 16/3/1872

Trained Bendigo Hospital

Member of the R.V.T.N.A.

Travelled to England with her mother in 1910 on a holiday – stayed on after her mother’s death

WW1:

Enlisted in the Territorial Force Nursing Service 9/8/1914 & was called up to join the 3rd London General Hospital 9/2/1915 – where she nursed until demobilised 30/6/1919

Returned to Australia Sept 1919 on the RMS Osterley

Returned again to England in March 1921

1921: Red Cross Hospital for Officers, Brighton

Married Henry N RICHMOND Dec Qtr 1923 Kensington, England

Died Jun Qtr 1970 Romsey, Hampshire, England

Notes:

*Copy of TFNS file held – kindly supplied by Sue Light (GWF)

George (born England, Mining Surveyor) died 22/5/1908 Bendigo

Elizabeth died 8/6/1912 London

Bendigo Advertiser, Thur 21 Mar 1872:

MARRIED

At Hobart Town, on the 16th inst., by the Rev F.H. Cox, George H. Watson, Esq., of Sandhurst, to Elizabeth Mary, second daughter of the late Henry Barrow, Esq, of Runnymede.

Bendigo Advertiser, Sat 23 May 1908 (p.4)

OBITUARY

DEATH OF MR G.H. WATSON

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/90707698?searchTerm

Bendigo Advertiser, Wed 17 Jul 1912:

DEATH

WATSON – At 7 Aden Terrace, Green Lanes, London N., Elizabeth Mary Watson, beloved wife of the late George Harris Watson, Bendigo, aged 68 years.

Dear Sue and Frev

The Bendigo WWI nurses historian was looking for this info so hope he is tuned in!

cheers

Kirsty

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

I have tracked down a photo of Emily Chappell. Is there a way of putting it on this site? Or where should it go?

TRIBUTE

Hi Tribute

If you post by using the 'More Reply Options' button, there will be a section at the bottom of the post box that says 'Attach Files' - if you have any trouble following the steps - let us know. Make sure the photo is no larger than 250K before attaching.

Will look forward to seeing her.

Cheers, Frev

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks

Has anyone come across good information about Catherine (Kitty) Tully who was probably the 3rd Australian nurse with Caroline (Carrie) Wilson and Claire (Tress) Trestrail in Mrs Stobart this Women's Imperial Service Hospital Unit at the fall of Antwerp.

Some digging on NLA suggests

1) she may also have been known as Kate and Nurse K. Tully

2) served in Antwerp, Egypt, and East Africa

3) may have married between a sister's death in 1927 and a brother's death in 1931, taking the married name Kelly and known as Mrs K Kelly

4) was an aunt of NSW Labor Lands Minister Mr Jack (J.M.) Tully.

Cheers

Sarah

Hi Sarah...and welcome to the forum

Catherine Tully, along with Carrie Wilson & Claire Trestrail, were the 3 Australian nurses who were members of Mrs Stobart's Unit at Antwerp. (unfortunately there seems to be a lot of confusion over this in some sources!)

She never married.

Below is my file on her - always interested if you know of any errors...or have anything to add...

Cheers, Frev

TULLY, Catherine (Kate, Kit) – Nurse, Mrs Stobart’s Unit (WNSL) / Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR

Born in 1874 in the Wheeo district of NSW, she gave her birth on enlistment with the QAIMNSR as 27/2/1881 Goulburn, NSW (the birth was registered at Yass). One of 10 children, Kate was the youngest daughter of Martin TULLY & Catherine KELLY, who married in NSW in 1855. Martin, although born in Ireland, was one of the early pioneers of the Wheeo district, where Kate & her siblings were born and raised. A sheep farmer, he died 29/5/1900, age 75 & Catherine (snr) died 29/11/1904, age 67 – they are buried together at the Wheeo Cemetery

[Gunning & Wheeo are towns/communities in between Yass & Goulburn]

Siblings: Michael b.1856; Owen b.1857; Peter b.1859; Patrick b.1862; Mary b.1864 – d.19/11/1927 Young, NSW; Eliza Mary b.1866 – d.9/3/1947 Young; Martin Michael b.1868 – d.28/1/1931 Burrowa; John Martin b.1871; Cornelius Joseph (Con) b.1878 – (NOK, WW1: Boorowa, NSW) – marr 1928, Nurse G. TIER (ex matron of Boorowa Dist Hosp) – d.12/12/1953 Junee, NSW

Religion: Roman Catholic

Educated Goulburn Public School

Nursing:

Appointment as a Probationer at Goulburn & Dist Hospital was confirmed in December 1899

Trained Goulburn & District Hospital Aug 1900 – Oct 1904 (leaving in the Nov)

Obstetrics Nurse, Royal Hospital for Women, Sydney Jun – Dec 1905

Matron, Raleigh District Hospital, Bellingen, NSW Feb 1906 – Sept 1907

[Grafton Hospital 1906 ?]

Matron, Tumut Hospital, NSW Sept 1907 –

Macleay District Hospital, Kempsey, NSW – 1914

Leaving her position at Kempsey, she arrived in England in April 1914

Visited Paris and Switzerland

From a letter dated 22/8/1914: “I have joined a very good West End company (they do not call them nurses’ homes here), and have just returned from a case in Surrey, where I have been for two months. My patient was a rich Australian who has lived in England for years.”

Kate had made arrangements to take up a position in Rome, when the war intervened. She instead joined Mrs Stobart’s Unit, and travelled to Belgium together with 2 other Australian nurses – Claire Trestrail & Carrie Wilson – where they played their part in the siege of, and escape from, Antwerp. [see details in the pages following & in Claire & Carrie’s files]

WW1:

Letter in her QAIMNSR Service Record, p.24:

Pavilion General Hospital – December 19th, 1919

I arrived in England from Australia April, 1914 and I joined in August, 1914, Unit organised by Mrs St Clair Stobart [Women’s National Service League] under the direction of St John’s Ambulance Association and served in [Antwerp] Belgium and [Cherbourg] France until invalided to England in Nov 1914.

I joined the Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. August 1915 [23/8/1915], and sailed for Egypt, served six months in the 21st General Hospital, Alexandria. In February, 1916, I joined the 19th Stationary Hospital going to East Africa. Served in East Africa until January 1918. Returned to England March 1918, arriving Pavilion Military Hospital April, 1918.

(Sd) Catherine Tully, Staff Nurse, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R.

Mrs Stobart’s Unit left Tilbury, England 20/9/1914 and arrived Antwerp, Belgium 22/9/1914

Note p.51 SR:

Return to France in … 1914 to Cherbourg. Invalided at end of year Was in Hospital – ill 2 months then …… duty at Park Lane ……. To Aug 1915

[see details on Cherbourg elsewhere]

Casualty Form p.56 -7, QAIMNSR SR:

Embarked on HMHS Ebani at Alexandria, Egypt 26/2/1916 – disembarked Kilindini, Mombasa, Kenya 15/3/1916

[No.19 Stationary Hospital]

Admitted Sth African Gen Hosp (S.A.G.H.), Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania (Debility, Defective Vision) 17/2/17 – 1/6/17

Invalided to Sth Africa per HMHS Ebani 1/6/1917 & returned to Dar-es-Salaam by same ship on the 29/6/17

Adm S.A.G.H. 2/7/17 – 6/7/17 with Malaria

Posted for temporary duty with HM Hospital Ship Neuralia 6/12/1917 – 6/1/1918

Returned to Dar-es-Salaam 6/1/1918 & posted for temporary duty at No.2 S.A.G.H.

Attached for duty 13/1/1918 to HM Hospital Ship Oxfordshire during voyage to Sth Africa – and to proceed to England, on relief

Service Report (p.62 of SR) from A/Matron Lilian Belcher, No.19 Stationary Hosp, East Africa, 20/1/1918 – Excellent!

Disembarked Plymouth 4/3/1918 and four weeks leave granted from that date

Address in England: Miss C Tully, 4 Cambridge Terrace, Hyde Park. W.

Served at the Pavilion (Military) General Hospital, Brighton (for limbless soldiers) from 2/4/1918, and applied unsuccessfully, for a posting to India in the July (having trouble coping with the cold climate).

Unable to claim free repatriation in 1919 (through British channels, due to having arrived in England prior to the war), she extended her contract until 30/4/1920 – remaining at the PGH

Lost the use of her right index finger due to septic poisoning in Sept 1918

“Sister Tully stated that she had been out of action for two months with her right hand poisoned, and was in a hospital in London as a patient. She feared she would be there some time yet. The hand had been opened three times.”

Demobilized 30/4/1920 (at the end of her contract) – giving her home address as: Killanear, Boorowa, NSW

Sailed from London 20/5/1920, on nursing duty on the Kigoma – a family ship, repatriating Australian troops & their dependants. After a rough trip around the Cape of Good Hope, having called at Teneriffe & Capetown, she disembarked passengers at Fremantle & Melbourne, before finally arriving Sydney 18/7/1920

1924: Miss K Tully (Nurse, age 36!) travelled from Sydney to England on the TSS Esperance Bay, arriving Southampton 6/8/1924, with the intention of remaining for some time

1927: Miss K Tully (Nurse, age 39!) travelled from England to Sydney on the Orvieto, departing London 3/9/1927

Nov 1927: with her brothers at “Killanear”, Boorowa (having recently returned from England)

[Her brothers, Martin & Con, sold the property Jan 1929]

1931: Sydney

Died 2/12/1957 Young, NSW – and is buried in the RC section of the Young General Cemetery

[Her 2 sisters are also buried there]

Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW), Thur 1 Feb 1900:

GOULBURN AND DISTRICT HOSPITAL

…………………………………..

A number of changes have taken place during the year on the nursing staff. …………………

…Misses Kate Lander, Kate Tully, and Thyrza Blatchford were appointed as probationers, and are performing their duties in a satisfactory manner. …………………………………

Clarence and Richmond Examiner (Grafton, NSW), Tue 16 Jan 1906:

BELLINGEN, Saturday

Nurse Tully has arrived to take up the duties of matron of the local hospital, but Nurse Slater’s engagement does not terminate until March, and as she will not vacate her position until then the hospital is in the unique position of having at the one time two matrons on full pay.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 7 Feb 1906:

BELLINGEN, Tuesday

The hospital dispute culminated in the matron being forcibly ejected to-day, Nurse Tully was installed. The late matron expresses her determination to fight the matter out in the law court.

Clarence and Richmond Examiner (Grafton, NSW), Tue 24 Sept 1907:

Personal

Matron Tully has resigned her position in the Bellingen hospital, and the vacancy has been filled by the appointment of Nurse Lewis, late of Merriwa hospital. Matron Tully had been in charge for 16 months, and given every satisfaction. She left on Saturday for Tumut, where she will occupy a similar postion.

[Clarence and Richmond Examiner (Grafton, NSW), Thur 7 Apr 1910:

GRAFTON HOSPITAL

Nurse Tully wrote, asking permission to complete her five years’ training for a certificate from the Grafton Hospital. It was decided that she be allowed to take up duties without salary, until such times as a vacancy occurs.]

The British Journal of Nursing, Sept 6, 1914:

DESPATCHED TO THE FRONT

St John Ambulance Association

We are pleased to know that all the work of organising a hospital for the front by Mrs St Clair Stobart has not been thrown away. It will be remembered that she was taken prisoner by the Germans in the middle of August in Belgium, but mercifully was permitted to return home through Holland. Her party and all equipment was stopped at Ostend and returned to England.

On September 20th Mrs Stobart and her party left Tilbury for Antwerp, under the authority of St John Ambulance Association.

It included the following six medical women and ten nurses: - Dr Florence Stoney, M.B., B.S., Dr Rose Turner, L.R.C.P. and S., Dr Emily Helen Morris, M.B., B.S., Dr Joan Watts, Dr Helen Hanson, Dr Ramsay. Nurses: Misses E. Bailey, F. Clifton, M. Finch, L.A. Griggson, J. Kennedy, I. Thompson, E.C. Trestrail, C. Tully, C. Willis, C. Wilson. [E. Claire Trestrail, Catherine Tully, Caroline Wilson]

The British Consul, Sir Cecil Herslett, has undertaken to provide a building suitable for the purpose of a hospital. The equipment will probably be moved from place to place as the need may arise.

Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW), Thur 8 Oct 1914:

GOULBURN AND THE WAR

AN AUSTRALIAN NURSE AT THE FRONT

FORMERLY IN GOULBURN HOSPITAL

Mr G.Briner, M.L.A., has just received a letter from Nurse K. Tully, dated 22nd August, 1914, and written from 18 Cambridge-street, Hyde Park, London, W. England. The following interesting extracts are taken from the letter:

“As I am going to the front, I am sending you a line of farewell, in case I do not get back alive, but I would not miss going for the world…

I love England just as much as ever, and although I love Australia perhaps more I think I shall remain in England for at least some years if I can stand the climate. We have really had very little summer in England, but it is a beautiful old country. I have joined a very good West End company (they do not call them nurses’ homes here), and have just returned from a case in Surrey, where I have been for two months. My patient was a rich Australian who has lived in England for years. I had a very easy time there, and am feeling very well myself….

The war is making a very great difference in everything in England, and wherever one turns there is nothing heard but of the war. Everyone who is of any use is either going off to the front or is anxious to go. I should have gone five days ago, but something turned up at the last minute to prevent us getting through. However, we leave for certain on Tuesday next, 25th August…. I have met quite a number of Australians in England and in Paris and Switzerland, and some of the leading doctors of Sydney are in London. I met Dr Eames, of Newcastle, at my Australian patient’s place. Dr Eames is at the head of the Australian Medical Company or Corps which is going to Belgium. I believe that Dr Arnold, whom you may remember at Kempsey, has taken up the practice which Dr Eames had in Newcastle…. I had made arrangements to take up nursing work in Rome for the season, but since the war has broken out my plans have been altered. I would like very much to go to Rome, and if we get through the war I may go there later on….. I shall also take a trip to Scotland and Ireland and see the principal hospitals in those countries….. I am too excited about getting away to the front to write any more….. Please remember me to all my friends whom you may meet.” Nurse Tully was born in the Wheeo district, and her first five years of training as a nurse were spent in the Goulburn Hospital. She subsequently obtained diplomas at the Royal Hospital for Women in Sydney, and held positions as matron at Bellingen, Tumut, and Kempsey, leaving the last-named position to go to England some months ago.

Clarence and Richmond Examiner (Grafton, NSW), Tue 15 Dec 1914:

PERSONAL

Nurse Tully, who proved herself such an efficient matron while in charge of the Bellingen hospital, has written to Mr Briner stating that she served in Antwerp during the siege, and the nurses escaped with difficulty. She is now at the front in France.

Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW), Sat 19 Dec 1914 (p.7):

HEROIC NURSES

A GOULBURN DISTRICT REPRESENTATIVE

ESCAPE FROM ANTWERP

The following from the London Daily Citizen of 12th October should be of much interest locally, as one of the band of nurses whose heroism is recorded is Nurse Tully, who has been at the front since early in August, was trained in the Goulburn Hospital and is a native of the district. All the nurses referred to were returning to France as soon as possible: -

Folkstone, Sunday.

It is my privilege to-day to record a story of British women’s heroism, which, I am convinced, must be judged comparable with the undying tradition of Florence Nightingale.

By the Ostend boat this morning came a small Red Cross party, who turned out to be Mrs Stobart and her staff from Antwerp. Their escape from the burning city has been nothing less than miraculous, though how nobly deserved will be seen by what follows.

“Our hospital in Antwerp,” said Mrs Stobart, gracious in spite of the weariness of travel, “consisted of an enormous concert hall, belonging to some musical society. We had 120 beds, all occupied by wounded. We knew the bombardment was imminent, and we had arranged that if it actually began we should at once transfer all our helpless patients from this room, the ceiling of which was simply lath and plaster, into the cellars underneath. These were just miserable little kitchens, filthy, dirty, and evil smelling. We hurriedly cleaned them out and took down camp beds and mattresses in case of eventualities.

“Well, the bombardment began at midnight on Wednesday. We numbered 12 trained nurses and 10 orderlies, cooks, and interpreters. All those who had gone to bed got up at once, and with the night nurses, who were then on duty, set to and carried on stretchers – aye, and on their backs – all those wounded men down the steep stairs into the little dark cellars.

“I must tell you that none of our women had ever been under shell fire in their lives, and if you could have seen them you would have been proud to call them countrywomen. They were splendid.

WOMEN UNDER FIRE

“Shells were bursting all round us, and yet those apparently frail little women worked on untiringly, as if they were accustomed to it.

“Within 25 minutes we got the 120 patients out of the big hospital, and, somehow or other, without any harm.

“Next morning I went to the military hospital, and I said to the general: ‘Is there any way to remove these wounded out of the city?’ We, of course, could not leave until our wounded were safely disposed of.

“The general said: ‘Continue in your hospital, Mme. Stobart. I ask you to be courageous and continue.’

“Well, by this time, Antwerp was burning fiercely. The roof of the next house to our hospital was taken clean off by a shell, our own roof was grazed, and several houses near us were on fire. In a garden of a convent near by a hole six feet deep was made by a shell. And so on.

“But I found that all the other hospitals in Antwerp were being evacuated, thanks to transports, but I had no motors, and so the position had become desperate. We had no food, and all the shops were shut. A fortnight’s supply of tinned foods that we expected had not arrived. I could see that the patients would simply starve to death.

REFUGE FOR THE WOUNDED

“Some of the worst cases we managed to get rid of in the few hospitals in the town still open – we were lucky to find a motor lorry to take them. About 90 were capable of walking, and these we sent off to a military depot 12 miles out of the city. But before we got them started we had to search through the town for crutches, and all the while the shells were bursting over our heads.

“Well, in the end we had 20 left, whom we could not leave, and so we stayed on. By this time everybody had fled; there was simply nobody about. By good luck we found another motor lorry, and helped the last twenty into it. We sent with them one doctor and three nurses and an interpreter, and told them to go out of Antwerp towards the Dutch frontier.

“They started, but they were stopped and told they could not go to the frontier, so they made their way by the help of convoys of soldiers to Ostend. We told them to send back or get something to take the remainder of us away – the 21 who were left. That was at two o’clock in the day. At five o’clock we were still there, and no word. Not a creature was to be seen in Antwerp. We knew then that if we did not get out in an hour we would never get out.

TRHOUGH A STREET OF FLAME

“No motor transports could be seen anywhere, and our plight was pretty bad, when, as a last desperate resort, I decided to go and stand at the gate of the military hospital. That was on the main road to the front, and I knew if anything came it would come that way.

“Well, I had no sooner arrived there than I saw dashing towards me along a street completely in flames three motor-buses, which were doing transport work. I rushed into the middle of the road and spread out my arms. They stopped. I explained the situation and asked them to take us out. They would not promise. ‘If you are very quick,’ they said. ‘If you come now. We must get over the bridge of boats before it is blown up. We have just time.’

LAST OUT

“I rushed back to hospital, where all the luggage was piled up waiting. We bundled it into the buses and ourselves sat on top of the ammunition they were carrying. We tore through the streets at lightning speed, and just got over the bridge of boats. I suppose we were the last vehicle to get across.”

Outside Mrs Stobart’s carriage I found a group of her nurses. I can only describe them as typically British, and as such they had behaved during the most nerve-trying 18 hours they will ever experience.

GERMAN MUSIC, SISTER

One was apple-cheeked and in boundless spirits.

“Do you know,” she said, laughing, “the wounded behaved like bricks – oh, they were good, those Belgians. I loved every one of them. When the shells started shrieking over the hospital those who were very badly wounded held our hands fast and begged us not to leave them. They had such confidence in us. Others were more cheerful, and as more shells came bursting in with a smashing of glass and bricks, they would smile and say ‘German music, sister.’

“When it came to getting them away they were as babies in our hands. Asking no questions, they trusted us not to leave them to the Germans.

“And, oh, you should have been there to see the fuss they made of the one or two Tommies we had to nurse. If Tommy wanted to dress half a dozen Belgians wanted to tie his boot-laces. If Tommy was going to bed they must help undress him. And they were brave little fellows, too. One of them told us how he got wounded. It was a shot in the lung. ‘But I didn’t mind,’ he said, ‘I was furious.’”

One nurse described the retreat from Antwerp with the Belgian army.

“We were the last women to leave Antwerp,” she said, “and we had a Belgian officer on the back step of our bus all the way to Ostend, directing the driver. I shall never forget that journey. All along the way, whenever we were stopped, ‘Belges blesse’, (wounded) cleared the road for us and we got through. The Tommies we met made us tea and gave us tea, and the peasants everywhere turned out with food, fruit, and even vegetables. Why, I saw a young woman offering the soldiers carrots. Oh, but they meant to be so kind.”

Here are the names of the nurses: Sister Baily, Nurse Kennedy, Nurse Thompson, Nurse Clifton, Nurse Willis, Nurse Wilson, Nurse Lund, Nurse Tully, Nurse Trestraill, Nurse Finch, Nurse Gregson.

Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW), Tue 7 Jan 1919:

GOULBURN AND THE WAR

Sister Tully, who was born in the Goulburn district, and received her training in the District Hospital, has received the ribbon for the Mons star. Sister Tully was in England at the declaration of the war, and joined Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Sisters (Reserves). She was in the retreat from Antwerp, and has since at various times been nursing on the western front, in Egypt, East Africa, and England. In a letter to Nurse Mary Roberts, Lower Boro, Sister Tully stated that she had been out of action for two months with her right hand poisoned, and was in a hospital in London as a patient. She feared she would be there some time yet. The hand had been opened three times.

Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW), Thur 22 Jul 1920:

NURSE TULLY RETURNS FROM THE WAR

Mr G.S. Briner, M.L.A., writes that he has received a letter dated 6th instant, written on the steamer Kigoma at Fremantle by Sister Tully, at one time matron of the Macleay District Hospital, and of the Raleigh District Hospital at Bellingen. Nurse Tully was in England when the war was declared, and she immediately enlisted in the British Nursing Corps, and was sent to Antwerp, where she spent about twenty hours during the siege, which lasted only about forty hours. Sister Tully and five other sisters escaped in covered trucks, and she then went to France, where she earned the Mons ribbon, and where she did some nursing in several of the military hospitals in the danger zones. Subsequently Sister Tully was sent to Alexandria to the military hospital, and afterwards was attached to the nursing corps in East Africa with the army of General Smuts. Here she spent about 18 months, and had a very hard time of it. For the last fifteen months she has been attached to the “limbless” hospital at Brighton (England).

Sister Tully did duty on the Kigoma during the trip. Nurse Tully was born in the Wheeo district, and was trained for five years in the Goulburn District Hospital for the profession of a nurse.

Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW), Thur 31 May 1900:

Death of Mr Martin Tully

DEATH has just removed one of the best known men of the Wheeo and Grabben Gullen districts in the person of Mr Martin Tully, of Wheeo. He was one of the sturdy pioneers of the district and was very widely respected and esteemed, and though his death was not unexpected we are sure it will cast a deep gloom over the locality. He had been fading for some time and passed away peacefully at his residence on Tuesday at the age of 78 years. Mr Tully was a native of Galway, Ireland, and came to this country in the vigour of his youth. He worked on the Ovens goldfield, where he was very successful, and about 50 years ago settled at Wheeo, where he built up a comfortable home and reared a large family of seven sons and three daughters. Four of his sons and one daughter are in Western Australia, one son is in the railway service, and two sons and one daughter reside at home, the youngest daughter being a nurse in the Goulburn Hospital. Deceased was a man of strong convictions, high minded and conscientious, with the courage and ability to advocate those priciples which he espoused. He was conversant with the land laws of the colony, and took a deep interest in political matters, being a keen and intelligent debater. His death will cause a blank in the district which will not be easy to fill.

The Burrowa News (NSW), Fri 25 Nov 1927:

OBITUARY

MISS M. TULLY

The Young “Witness” reports the death of Miss M. Tully, which occurred at Mount St Joseph’s Home, Young, on Saturday last, 19th inst, aged 60 years. …………………………………..

………………………………………………………………………….

There are also two sisters. One resides in Western Australia, and the other, Nurse K. Tully, is at present with her brothers at Killanear, having recently returned from England. Nurse Tully saw service in the Great War, and was in the siege of Antwerp. ……….

Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW), Tue 3 Feb 1931:

OBITUARY

LATE MR M TULLY

Mr Martin Michael Tully, whose death at Burrowa was reported in yesterday’s issue, was an uncle of the Minister for Lands, Hon J.M. Tully.

The late Mr Tully, is survived by two sisters, Kate (Sydney), and Eliza (Western Australia), and three brothers, John (Western Australia), Pat (Sydney), and Con (Junee).

Sydney Morning Herald Fri 6 Dec 1957:

DEATHS

TULLY, Catherine (Kit) – December 2, 1957, at Young, beloved aunt of John, Muriel, Mena (Mrs Gannon), Tess, Maude (Mrs McAuliffe, deceased), and Paul. Privately interred at Young December 4. Requiescat at pace.

Notes:

Gravestone photo from the Australian Cemeteries Index website [has incorrect date of the 22nd]

Sources include:

QAIMNSR Service Record (copy held)

UK Incoming & Outward Passenger lists

NSW BDM Index

Newspapers

Excellent stuff Frev.

There are other references to her brother Martin's death. The first reference below refers to Nurse K Kelly and the second reference below to the former NSW Minister for Lands.

I am guessing the first reference is incorrect as Catherine Kelly was her mother !

Cheers

Sarah

http://trove.nla.gov...ticle/102376318

The Burrowa News (NSW : 1874 - 1951) Friday 6 February 1931 p 5

Mr Martin Tully obituary

Son of Mr & Mrs Martin Tully

Held properties at Wheeo, Goolagong and Yass before Boorowa where he owned “Killanear” with brother Con.

Survived by brothers: Con. of Junee, Pat of Sydney and Jack of Western Australia

Survived by sisters: Nurse K Kelly of Sydney (Great War, Antwerp, Egypt, East Africa) and Miss Elizabeth Tully in Western Australia

http://trove.nla.gov...rticle/99765778

Refers to sister Kate of Sydney

Mr Martin Tully was an uncle of Hon J. M. [John Moran (Jack)] Tully, former NSW Minister for Lands

• 2 months later...

With lots of centenaries about, I note that yesterday was 100 years since Caroline (Carrie) Wilson, Claire Trestrail and Edith Bottrill set off from Adelaide (SA) on the "Benalla" to further their nursing training in Britain. Carrie and Claire joined Mrs Stobart's Antwerpen all-women medical unit in September 1914, fleeing when Antwerp fell in October 1914.

• 6 months later...

Hi

I'm looking for information on nurse Ada Baber Gabriel from Kew in Victoria, Australia - she was a surgical Sister and served with Lady Dudley's unit in the Australian Volunteer Hospitals in France in 1916

She returned to Australia in 1919

Can anyone direct me to where I can find any information concerning her and the Hospital she served in

Many Thanks

Hi Miss Mac - and welcome to the forum....

I'll attach my file on Ada, which may help you a little - and if you download her QAIMNSR service record (link provided below), it will give you more info on the other hospitals she served in during the war years.

There is a booklet "The History of the Australian Voluntary Hospital WW1" by Neil Smith (published by Mostly Unsung Military History) - which gives a brief history of the hospital. And you'll find if you trawl the Australian newspapers (through Trove), that you'll find quite a lot about the hospital & the nurses who served in it.

Best of luck with your research

Cheers, Frev

GABRIEL, Ada Baker (aka ‘Gabe’) – Sister – MID, ARRC – AVH / Gen Hosp / QAIMNSR

Brit MIC (AVH / QAIMNSR): http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_fn=ada&_ln=gabriel&_no=&_crp=&_ttl=&_ser=WO+372&_dt=M&_col=online&image1.x=36&image1.y=11

QAIMNSR file (WO399/2969): http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Result/?discoveryCustomSearch=true&_fn=&_ln=gabriel&_ser=WO+399&_col=online&_dt=NS&image1.x=48&image1.y=20

Born in 1877 in Collingwood, Vic – daughter of Joseph GABRIEL & Elizabeth Lovatt BAKER – who married in Clifton Hill, Vic 24/2/1875

Joseph a Chemist, born 1847 Glamorgan, Wales, died 24/11/1922 at his residence in Kew, age 75

Elizabeth died 15/9/1938, on her 92nd birthday – they are buried together in the Boroondara Cemetery, Kew

Siblings (all born Collingwood): Charlotte Mary b.1876 (Music Teacher); Charles John b.1879 (Chemist); Joseph Ernest b.1881 (Dentist); Edith Hilda b.1883

1903, 1909: Living with her family in Abbotsford, Vic

The family had moved to Kew, Vic by 1914

Trained Melbourne Hospital – passed her Final Nursing examinations in June 1909

Travelled to England on the Otway, arriving 12/4/1913

[also embarked Melb, Miss N Reay]

WW1:

In England when war broke out….

Australian Voluntary Hospital (AVH):

Sailed for France 29/8/1914 on Lord Dunraven’s yacht, Greta

She was one of the earlier casualties at the hospital when she sprained her ankle after slipping on something in the kitchen

MID, (London Gazette 1/1/1916)

Applied (& accepted) to join the QAIMNSR in July 1916 when the AVH was taken over by the War Office & re-named No. 32 Stationary Hospital

QAIMNSR:

No. 11 Casualty Clearing Station, France 1917

2 weeks UK Leave 1917

No.3 General Hospital 1918

Awarded the Royal Red Cross (2nd Class) 1919

RTA on the Orvieto 1/11/1919 as a War Worker, non AIF (along with Annie Reay) – arriving Melbourne 12/12/1919

Married Amadee Bertram Wood AUMONT (Chemist) in 1925 in Vic

Died 13th December 1953 Melbourne, age 76

Bertram died in1956, age 79 (son of Louis Phillip & Christina, nee Wood)

Weekly Times (Vic), Sat 3 Oct 1914:

NURSES AT THE FRONT

Among the nurses with the Australian field hospital organized by Lady Dudley are three sisters of the Melbourne Hospital, Miss Nan Reay, Miss Ada Gabriel, and Miss Greaves.

The Australian nurses are to wear a distinctive dress – a grey out-door uniform with a grey bonnet edged with brown velvet, and having brown ribands tied under the chin; and a grey linen in-door uniform, with a little scarlet cape, a badge with “Australia” engraved on it.

Weekly Times (Vic), Sat 8 Jan 1916:

NURSES WIN HONOR – FIRING LINE FACED

………………………………………..

Miss Ada Gabriell and Miss Nan Reay (daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel W.T. Reay), also in the honor list, were both trained at the Melbourne Hospital. They were firm friends, and went to England together about five years ago. Since then they have followed their profession there, and some of the most notable hostesses in England have requisitioned their services. They were attached to the Australian Voluntary Hospital at Boulogne.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 7 Nov 1917:

MELBOURNE NOTES

Sister Ada Gabriel, formerly of the Melbourne Hospital, who was one of the first Australian nurses with the British Expeditionary Force in France, was, according to the latest news, spending 14 days’ leave in England. For some months past, she has worked at a casualty clearing station, and has had many tragic experiences. The most appalling was that through which she recently passed, when enemy airmen bombed the hospital. Several patients were killed and others more or less seriously injured. By good fortune the nursing staff (which was accommodated in a tent close by) all escaped.

Weekly Times (Vic), Sat 23 Mar 1918:

SISTERS ON SERVICE

Sister Ada Gabriel, daughter of Mr and Mrs J. Gabriel, of Kew, who was stationed at No.11 Casualty Clearing Station recently while it was under shell fire, is now on the staff of No.3 General Hospital.

Supplement to Edinburgh Gazette 1/2/1919: ARRC – Miss Ada Baker Gabriel, A/Sister, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R.

The British Journal of Nursing, 31/5/1919 (p.366)

HONOURS FOR NURSES

The King held an Investiture in the Quadrangle at Buckingham Palace, on May 22nd, and conferred, amongst others, the following decorations:- ……………………

The Royal Red Cross (Second Class)

Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve – Sisters’ …..Ada Gabriel, …

Gippsland Times (Vic), Mon 9 Jun 1919:

PERSONAL

A cable message from London, dated May 22, states that His Majesty the King, at Buckingham Palace, invested sister Ada Gabriel, sister of Dr J.E. Gabriel, with the Royal Red Cross. Sister Ada Gabriel was one of the first Australian nurses to join the British Expeditionary Force in France. She gained her first army nursing experience at Boulogne. Later she was sent nearer the firing line, and had some very thrilling experiences. The most appalling was when a German airman bombed the hospital to which she was attached, and 30 of the patients were killed in their beds, while many others were injured. By a remarkable piece of good fortune the nursing staff, which was accommodated in a tent close by, escaped. This bombardment took place in 1917.

Standard (Frankston, Vic), Thur 18 May 1944:

PERSONAL

The many friends of Mrs Aumont will be glad to hear of her return to Red Hill, in better health than when she went away. It is hoped that this good progress will be maintained.

The Argus, Sat 19 Dec 1953:

DEATHS

AUMONT, Ada – On December 13, the loved wife of Bertram, of Auriel, Red Hill, loving stepmother of Margaret (Mrs Campbell) and grandma of Jill; dear sister of Charlotte, Charles, Joseph and Hilda

The Argus, Sat 22 Mar 1913:

MARRIAGES

AUMONT – LE FEUVRE – On the 10th February, at St Luke’s Church of England, North Fitzroy, by the Rev Mr Britten, Amadee Bertram Wood, son of the late L.P. Aumont, of Collingwood, to Matilda Jane, third daughter of the late J. L Feuvre, of Portarlington.

Hello all,

I work at the Telegraph Museum, Porthcurno in the far west of Cornwall UK and have some info about Helen Muriel Judd, QAIMNS® - but most of it's at work so will post again tomorrow when I can get my hands on it.

I do remember that she was born and went to school in Porthcurno, as her father (Thomas Chapman Judd) was working at the telegraph station there. The family moved to Australia at some point before 1902, and Helen trained as a nurse, signed up to serve with the QAIMNS®, worked in the UK and France and returned to Australia in 1919. She worked as a nurse for the rest of her life.

I do have a copy of Helen's record, so if you can give me a steer about what info you'd like, I'll dig it out for you.

Lara

Hi Miss Mac - and welcome to the forum....

I'll attach my file on Ada, which may help you a little - and if you download her QAIMNSR service record (link provided below), it will give you more info on the other hospitals she served in during the war years.

There is a booklet "The History of the Australian Voluntary Hospital WW1" by Neil Smith (published by Mostly Unsung Military History) - which gives a brief history of the hospital. And you'll find if you trawl the Australian newspapers (through Trove), that you'll find quite a lot about the hospital & the nurses who served in it.

Best of luck with your research

Cheers, Frev

GABRIEL, Ada Baker (aka ‘Gabe’) – Sister – MID, ARRC – AVH / Gen Hosp / QAIMNSR

Brit MIC (AVH / QAIMNSR): http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_fn=ada&_ln=gabriel&_no=&_crp=&_ttl=&_ser=WO+372&_dt=M&_col=online&image1.x=36&image1.y=11

QAIMNSR file (WO399/2969): http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Result/?discoveryCustomSearch=true&_fn=&_ln=gabriel&_ser=WO+399&_col=online&_dt=NS&image1.x=48&image1.y=20

Born in 1877 in Collingwood, Vic – daughter of Joseph GABRIEL & Elizabeth Lovatt BAKER – who married in Clifton Hill, Vic 24/2/1875

Joseph a Chemist, born 1847 Glamorgan, Wales, died 24/11/1922 at his residence in Kew, age 75

Elizabeth died 15/9/1938, on her 92nd birthday – they are buried together in the Boroondara Cemetery, Kew

Siblings (all born Collingwood): Charlotte Mary b.1876 (Music Teacher); Charles John b.1879 (Chemist); Joseph Ernest b.1881 (Dentist); Edith Hilda b.1883

1903, 1909: Living with her family in Abbotsford, Vic

The family had moved to Kew, Vic by 1914

Trained Melbourne Hospital – passed her Final Nursing examinations in June 1909

Travelled to England on the Otway, arriving 12/4/1913

[also embarked Melb, Miss N Reay]

WW1:

In England when war broke out….

Australian Voluntary Hospital (AVH):

Sailed for France 29/8/1914 on Lord Dunraven’s yacht, Greta

She was one of the earlier casualties at the hospital when she sprained her ankle after slipping on something in the kitchen

MID, (London Gazette 1/1/1916)

Applied (& accepted) to join the QAIMNSR in July 1916 when the AVH was taken over by the War Office & re-named No. 32 Stationary Hospital

QAIMNSR:

No. 11 Casualty Clearing Station, France 1917

2 weeks UK Leave 1917

No.3 General Hospital 1918

Awarded the Royal Red Cross (2nd Class) 1919

RTA on the Orvieto 1/11/1919 as a War Worker, non AIF (along with Annie Reay) – arriving Melbourne 12/12/1919

Married Amadee Bertram Wood AUMONT (Chemist) in 1925 in Vic

Died 13th December 1953 Melbourne, age 76

Bertram died in1956, age 79 (son of Louis Phillip & Christina, nee Wood)

Weekly Times (Vic), Sat 3 Oct 1914:

NURSES AT THE FRONT

Among the nurses with the Australian field hospital organized by Lady Dudley are three sisters of the Melbourne Hospital, Miss Nan Reay, Miss Ada Gabriel, and Miss Greaves.

The Australian nurses are to wear a distinctive dress – a grey out-door uniform with a grey bonnet edged with brown velvet, and having brown ribands tied under the chin; and a grey linen in-door uniform, with a little scarlet cape, a badge with “Australia” engraved on it.

Weekly Times (Vic), Sat 8 Jan 1916:

NURSES WIN HONOR – FIRING LINE FACED

………………………………………..

Miss Ada Gabriell and Miss Nan Reay (daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel W.T. Reay), also in the honor list, were both trained at the Melbourne Hospital. They were firm friends, and went to England together about five years ago. Since then they have followed their profession there, and some of the most notable hostesses in England have requisitioned their services. They were attached to the Australian Voluntary Hospital at Boulogne.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 7 Nov 1917:

MELBOURNE NOTES

Sister Ada Gabriel, formerly of the Melbourne Hospital, who was one of the first Australian nurses with the British Expeditionary Force in France, was, according to the latest news, spending 14 days’ leave in England. For some months past, she has worked at a casualty clearing station, and has had many tragic experiences. The most appalling was that through which she recently passed, when enemy airmen bombed the hospital. Several patients were killed and others more or less seriously injured. By good fortune the nursing staff (which was accommodated in a tent close by) all escaped.

Weekly Times (Vic), Sat 23 Mar 1918:

SISTERS ON SERVICE

Sister Ada Gabriel, daughter of Mr and Mrs J. Gabriel, of Kew, who was stationed at No.11 Casualty Clearing Station recently while it was under shell fire, is now on the staff of No.3 General Hospital.

Supplement to Edinburgh Gazette 1/2/1919: ARRC – Miss Ada Baker Gabriel, A/Sister, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R.

The British Journal of Nursing, 31/5/1919 (p.366)

HONOURS FOR NURSES

The King held an Investiture in the Quadrangle at Buckingham Palace, on May 22nd, and conferred, amongst others, the following decorations:- ……………………

The Royal Red Cross (Second Class)

Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve – Sisters’ …..Ada Gabriel, …

Gippsland Times (Vic), Mon 9 Jun 1919:

PERSONAL

A cable message from London, dated May 22, states that His Majesty the King, at Buckingham Palace, invested sister Ada Gabriel, sister of Dr J.E. Gabriel, with the Royal Red Cross. Sister Ada Gabriel was one of the first Australian nurses to join the British Expeditionary Force in France. She gained her first army nursing experience at Boulogne. Later she was sent nearer the firing line, and had some very thrilling experiences. The most appalling was when a German airman bombed the hospital to which she was attached, and 30 of the patients were killed in their beds, while many others were injured. By a remarkable piece of good fortune the nursing staff, which was accommodated in a tent close by, escaped. This bombardment took place in 1917.

Standard (Frankston, Vic), Thur 18 May 1944:

PERSONAL

The many friends of Mrs Aumont will be glad to hear of her return to Red Hill, in better health than when she went away. It is hoped that this good progress will be maintained.

The Argus, Sat 19 Dec 1953:

DEATHS

AUMONT, Ada – On December 13, the loved wife of Bertram, of Auriel, Red Hill, loving stepmother of Margaret (Mrs Campbell) and grandma of Jill; dear sister of Charlotte, Charles, Joseph and Hilda

The Argus, Sat 22 Mar 1913:

MARRIAGES

AUMONT – LE FEUVRE – On the 10th February, at St Luke’s Church of England, North Fitzroy, by the Rev Mr Britten, Amadee Bertram Wood, son of the late L.P. Aumont, of Collingwood, to Matilda Jane, third daughter of the late J. L Feuvre, of Portarlington.

Hi Frev

Thank you for the information - our family have a very precious letter written by Ada, and sent from an Australian Hospital in Boulogne in 1916 - it was sent to my GGrandmother concerning my GGrandfather's death.

I'm currently reseaching our Family Tree and in particular my GGrandfather's death in WW1 - my Grandmother kept Ada's letter all her life - its nice to know that Ada went on to have a good life

Many Thanks

Hello all,

I work at the Telegraph Museum, Porthcurno in the far west of Cornwall UK and have some info about Helen Muriel Judd, QAIMNS® - but most of it's at work so will post again tomorrow when I can get my hands on it.

I do remember that she was born and went to school in Porthcurno, as her father (Thomas Chapman Judd) was working at the telegraph station there. The family moved to Australia at some point before 1902, and Helen trained as a nurse, signed up to serve with the QAIMNS®, worked in the UK and France and returned to Australia in 1919. She worked as a nurse for the rest of her life.

I do have a copy of Helen's record, so if you can give me a steer about what info you'd like, I'll dig it out for you.

Lara

Hi Lara

I would love to see her file - I don't think Mrs Frev has it either. Helen trained at the Brisbane Hospital graduating in November 1908. If it is possible to email the file to us, please PM us and we'll supply our addresses.

many thanks

Kirsty

Hi Lara (& K)

Thankyou for offering to share your info on Helen Muriel Judd - have answered your PM

Following is the info I have at present....

Cheers, Frev

EDITED 11/2/2014 - the below file has now been updated to include the information from her service record:

JUDD, Helen Muriel – Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR

Brit SR: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C10797259 [copy held]

Born in the Dec Qtr of 1882 in St Levan, Penzance, Cornwall, England [baptized 16/6/1883]

– only daughter of Thomas Chapman JUDD & Susannah Eliza TRIVESS – who married in Portsea, Hampshire, England in the Mar Qtr of 1882

Helen & her parents were still living in the hamlet of Porthcurno, St Levan in 1891, but had moved to Australia by 1901. [susanna died in 1922 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England]

[born in Hertfordshire in 1858, Thomas was a Clerk with the Eastern Telegraph Company, Porthcurno in 1891, and then went on to train operators. He became superintendant of the Pacific Cable Board, Southport, Qld, in 1901, until transferred to Sydney in 1912. Retiring in 1920, he died 13/7/1925 at his residence in Mittagong, NSW]

Joining the Brisbane Hospital in Jan 1906 as a probationer, Helen gained her nursing qualifications in Oct 1908

She continued to nurse at the Brisbane Hospital – one year as charge nurse, four years as Sister

During her term as Sister she had experience in charge of the Infectious Hosp, Operating Theatre, Fever Wards, Outpatients Dept, & Surgical & Medical Wards (including the Men’s surgical wards 1912, 1913)

She then served in the Mackay District Hospital 1914, 1915 – Sister (3mths); Acting Matron (9mths) – before resigning due to ill health in June 1915 – with the intention of later enlisting for war service

WW1:

Embarked 16/12/1915 on the Karoola & arrived in the UK 10/2/1916, being posted the same day to the 1st Birmingham War Hospital

To 11 General Hospital, Etaples, France 2/4/1916 – 39 Casualty Clearing Station – 36 CCS 27/1/1917 – 38 CCS 18/2/1917

Leave 30/6 – 14/7/1917

Nurses Hostel, Abbeville (for duty) 1/11/1917 – 40 Stationary Hospital 6/11/1917

Leave (14 days) 20/1/1918

To 8 Gen Hosp 31/5/1918 – 41 Stat Hosp 13/8/1918 – 53 CCS 21/8/1918 – 41 CCS 27/9/1918

Confidential Report – by M. Aitken, T.F.N.S., 41 CCS (p.15 of SR):

S/N Judd joined 41 CCS on September 27th 1918 & left on December 16th 1918. She is a well trained capable nurse. Her administrative capacity & powers of initiative are fairly good. She is good tempered, kind, attentive, conscientious, & a favourite with her patients. Miss Judd is able & willing to train orderlies properly. She is tactful, energetic, reliable & punctual. Her influence in the wards & mess is excellent.

Miss Judd is highly educated & speaks French fluently.

She was Matron in a small Hospital in Australia previous to joining for active service.

Leave 16 – 30/12/1918

To 32 Stat Hosp, Boulogne 1/1/1919

Confidential Report 10/3/19 – by J.H. Congleton, 32 SH (p.7 of SR):

This lady has served under me since the 1-1-19. Her general professional ability is above the standard of her rank, administrative capacity, power & initiative & ability to train & instruct orderlies, good.

Special qualifications Fever. Moral qualifications very good. This lady has not acted in a higher rank, she is suitable for promotion.

To UK for demobilazation 21/4/1919 & transferred to Devonport Military Hospital 22/4/1919 pending repatriation

RTA on the Katoomba, embarking England 6/8/1919 –arriving NSW 25/9/1919

Service terminated 11/9/1919 (36 days after embarkation)

Sister in Charge of the Singleton Baby Health Centre & Musswellbrook Baby Health Clinic (9yrs up to Nov 1938)

Nov 1938 – Nov 1939: Sister in Charge of Musswellbrook Baby Health Clinic (also in control of Denman & Merriwa)

Elected President of the Ladies’ committee of the Returned Soldiers’ Club, June 1935 – Nov 1939

Resident

1930: 17 Fort St, Petersham, NSW & 23 Badminton Rd, Croydon, NSW (nurse)

1934, 1936, 1939: Bridge St, Muswellbrook, NSW (nurse)

1943, 1954, 1958: Flat 4, 871 Pacific Hwy, Chatswood, NSW (nurse)

Died 4/6/1958 at Hornsby District Hospital (reg Manly, NSW) – late of Chatswood

Cremated at the Northern Suburbs Crematorium, Sydney, NSW 6/6/1958

Queensland Figaro, Thur 25 Jan 1906:

Ministering Angels

…………………………………….

Miss Ellen Muriel Judd, only daughter of Mr T. Chapman Judd, superintendant of the Pacific Cable Station, Southport, has joined the nursing staff of the General Hospital as a probationer.

The Brisbane Courier, Fri 18 Jun 1915:

COUNTRY VOLUNTEERS

MACKAY, June 17

Nurse Judd, matron of the District Hospital, has resigned her position owing to ill-health. It is understood that she will volunteer for service at the Front.

The Maitland Daily Mercury (NSW), Fri 11 Nov 1938:

HEALTH CENTRE

Sister Judd Transferred

SINGLETON, Friday

Sister Judd, who for the past nine years has been the sister in charge of the Baby Health Centre at Singleton, will leave next Wednesday to take over duty at Muswellbrook. She will control the centres in Muswellbrook, Denman and Merriwa.

Sister Stuckey, from Muswellbrook, will take over duties at Singleton on November 21. Sister Judd will be farewelled at a social gathering next Wednesday afternoon, when afternoon tea will be provided by the mothers.

Sister Judd will be missed by a large circle of friends in Singelton.

Singleton Farewell: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/107618991

The Muswellbrook Chronicle (NSW), Tue 14 Nov 1939:

BABY HEALTH CENTRE

Sister Judd Leaving

Sister Judd, who has been in charge of the Muswellbrook Baby Health Centre for several years, and latterly visiting sister at the Denman and Merriwa health centres, has received notice of her transfer to Sydney, and will be leaving towards the end of next week to take up her new appointment.

Sister Judd has won the high esteem of hundreds of mothers who have visited the health centres under her charge, and it can be said that much of the success attending the campaign to safeguard infant life has been due to the ability and enthusiasm brought to the work by Sister Judd.

Sister Judd has held the position of president of the ladies’ committee of the Returned Soldiers’ Club, and her departure will mean a district loss to that organisation.

Muswellbrook farewell: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/127477661

Sydney Morning Herald, Jun 5, 1958 (p.22):

DEATHS

JUDD, Helen Muriel – June 4, 1958, at Hornsby District Hospital, late of Chatswood, beloved cousin of James, Len, and Rard and families.

FUNERALS

JUDD – The Relatives and Friends of the late HELEN MURIEL JUDD are invited to attend her Funeral Service; to be held in the Chapel of the Northern Suburbs Crematorium To-morrow, Friday, at 10.30 a.m. Friends meet at Crematorium.

T.C. Judd 1902: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/19130243

T. Chapman Judd 1925: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/16213417

The Brisbane Courier (Qld), Fri 17 Jul 1925:

OBITUARY

The death occurred on July 13 of Mr T Chapman Judd at Mittagong, NSW, at the age of 68 years. The deceased was for some years superintendant of the Southport station of the Pacific Cable Board, and later occupied a similar position at Sydney, where he was also acting manager in the Pacific for the board. He is survived by his only daughter, Miss H.M. Judd, who for some years resided in Queensland.

Notes:

Copy of QAIMNSR service record held – courtesy of Lara [GWF]

Hi Frev.

Thanks for all this info and I hope you got Helen's file. I work at what is now the Telegraph Museum in Porthcurno where she was born and went to school, and where her father worked. I'll see if I can find a photo of the young Helen in our archives.

Lara

A big public thank you to Lara for so kindly sharing her records with me.

I've updated my file on Helen Judd in post #39 to show the extra details.

Will look forward to the possibility of seeing a photo of her one day....

Cheers, Frev

• 7 months later...

Hi Folks

Prior to the fall of Antwerp on 9th October 1914, shelling commenced on Wednesday 7th at midnight. The story of the flight 2 Australian nurses, Caroline (Carrie) Wilson and Claire Trestrail, is recorded in "LETTERS FROM THE FRONT: The Flight From Antwerp" at http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/59115482. Other members of this Stobart Hospital also published versions of this story. A photo of this all-female medical unit is at http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205358238

Cheers

Sarah

• 3 weeks later...

Folks,

I have been researching (half heartedly) Caroline Wilson since about 2008 when I found her story of leaving Antwerp in an old local newspaper. As more things appear on the net a few more bits and bobs turn up.

Idly a few days ago I searched on Stobart and found the picture that smiller has linked to just above. Chasing that trail I found that there was a lot more known about the Antwerp experience than I imagined and particularly a lot more about Claire Trestrail. (I have ordered Susana de Vries book). Yesterday I discovered this site and it seems I am walking a path already well trod!

Anyway, for Caroline Wilson, I have:

Some Early biographical info but not much training related data yet (I know where and when roughly, but that's all)

Info about the time with Stobarts group in Antwerp and Cherbourg

Some info about the American Hospital in Paris

Some personal correspondence with the IWM about her medal card there

Info from her AANS card

A bit about the Barunga and Berimah (but no passenger lists or anything like that)

Some later biographical info.

But there is a big hole regarding her service with QAIMNSR. I understand that these records may have been destroyed in the 1930s but does anyone have any info that could help out?

Regards

Stephen

PS I am pretty sure now that the building used by Stobarts group and appears as background in the IWM picture still exists in a dilapidated state and can be found at 51°12'7.92"N 4°24'40.49"E (use google earth)
Also I am pretty sure that Claire Trestrail appears in the picture as the nurse seated directedly in from of Mrs St Clair Stobart (who has the dark coat and hat).

Hi Stephen,

I hope the information I have sent you about Carrie has helped. I have put links to other information about Carrie at http://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/person/54219

I have now made contact a closer relative to Carrie than me. Liz says that Carrie, Claire Trestrail, Maude Bottrill and Eleanor Opie all remained close friends. Claire and daughter June (your Aunt?) stayed with Carrie on the farm at Delungra NSW for a few weeks in 1937/8.

Liz and I agree that Claire is in front of Mrs Stobart in the IWM photo at http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205358238. We think that Kit Tully is side on, next to Claire, on our right. Carrie is seated 2 people to our right of Mrs Stobart. The IWM doesn't have a list of everyone in the photo but if appropriate to the forum, I am happy to share attempts to identify the others.

Yes De Harmonie still exists and the pillars in the IWM photo are evident in the restoration photos at http://www.e-architect.co.uk/belgium/de_harmonie_antwerp.htm

Cheers

Sarah

Similar stories of the Women’s National Service League hospital in Antwerp led by Mrs Stobart

Caroline Wilson (Australian Nurse)

1. "An Exciting Experience: A Local Lady in Belgium: Hidden in a Cellar"

• Petersburg Times (SA : 1887 - 1919), Friday 4 December 1914, page 5

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article129986374

3. "BROKEN HILL LADY IN BELGIUM: THRILLING EXPERIENCES OF NURSE WILSON"

• Barrier Miner (Broken Hill, NSW : 1888 - 1954), Sunday 3 January 1915, page 2

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article45309773

4. "Experiences of a Nurse at War"

• Petersburg Times (SA : 1887 - 1919) Friday 4 June 1915 page 3

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/109500547

5. "A BROKEN HILLITE IN PARIS: LETTER FROM EX-DISTRICT NURSE WILSON"

• Barrier Miner (Broken Hill, NSW : 1888 - 1954), Sunday 6 June 1915, page 3

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/45369763

6. "LETTERS FROM THE FRONT: THE FLIGHT FROM ANTWERP."

• The Register (Adelaide, SA : 1901 - 1929) Tuesday 9 February 1915 page 6

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/59115482

Catherine (Kate, Kit) Tully (Australian Nurse)

7. PERSONAL

• Clarence and Richmond Examiner Tuesday 15 December 1914, page 4

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/printArticlePdf/61639895

8. "HEROIC NURSES. A GOUBURN DISTRICT REPRESENTATIVE. ESCAPE FROM ANTWERP"

• Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW : 1881 - 1940) Saturday 19 December 1914 page 7

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/98826687

Claire Trestrail (Australian Nurse)

9. "ADELAIDE NURSE IN ANTWERP: Service Under Fire"

• The Register (Adelaide, SA : 1901 - 1929) Saturday 9 January 1915 page 10

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/59119683

Florence Stoney (English Doctor)

10. "WOMAN SURGEON IN THE FIELD"

• Queensland Times (Ipswich) (Qld. : 1909 - 1954) Saturday 12 December 1914 Page 5

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/123035473

Mabel Ramsay (English Doctor)

11. "WOMEN’S IMPERIAL SERVICE HOSPITAL AT ANTWERP"

http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/165.html

Mabel Stobart (English Administrator)

11. ""The flaming sword: In Serbia and elsewhere"

• London, Hodder and Stoughton, 1916, p. 5

https://archive.org/details/flamingswordinse00stobrich

Sarah Macnaughtan (English Writer, orderly)

12. My War Experiences in Two Continents

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18364/18364-h/18364-h.htm

A.M. Dick (English, orderly)

13. "A TERRIBLE NIGHT"

• Leader (Orange, NSW : 1912 - 1922) Saturday 24 April 1915 Page 8

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/119915522

Other

14. "WOMEN UNDER FIRE"

• The British Journal of Nursing, October17, 1914, page 305-306

http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/data/VOLUME053-1914/page305-volume53-17thoctober1914.pdf

15. "WOMEN DOCTORS UNDER FIRE"

• Barrier Miner (Broken Hill, NSW : 1888 - 1954), Saturday 23 January 1915, page 7

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/45312307

Thanks everyone for sharing their information about our Aussie nurses.

cheers Kirsty

Several of the FANYS who served in France were Australian. We have a good collection of their letters and reports in our archives.

Would love to know their names Lyn as well as how to access your archives - I have a few on my list including Gwen Peyton Jones and Adele Crockett.

many thanks Kirsty

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lyn and Kirsty

There are some names of Australian FANYs at https://sites.google.com/site/archoevidence/home/ww1australianwomen/fany/fany-names

It lists

1. ALLEN, Alice M
  2. GOODISSON, Agnes Mona (m. CHARLESWORTH) (driver)
  3. COURTIS Elsie Agnes (driver)
  4. CROCKETT, Adela Louise
  5. De LISLE, G M (driver)
  6. FARRER, M B. (driver)
  7. MURRAY A E. (driver)
  8. PEYTON – JONES Gwendolyn
  9. SHAW Evelyn Fidgeon (driver)
  10. WHITE Mary Alice

but also suggests Evelyn SHAW was born in Birmingham.

Cheers

Sarah

I am also interested to know more about Ms Robb and Ms Hall who were at the American Hospital of Paris (Neuilly-sur-Seine). My first guess is there were nurses and/or Australians. The book "For Dauntless France" lists

• Robb A.A

and

• Hall, A. K.
  • Hall, C. D.
  • Hall, D. A.
  • Hall, Miss D. M.
  • Hall, Miss F. C.
  • Hall, Miss G. E.
  • Hall, J. H.
  • Hall, Miss L. G.
  • Hall, Miss M. C. A.
  • Hall, Miss M. E.
  • Hall, Miss M. L.
  • Hall, Mrs. M. M.
  • Hall, Mrs. M. M. E.
  • Hall, Miss N. G.
  • Hall, R. W.
  • Hall, Sister S.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sarah

no.9 SHAW Evelyn Fidgeon (driver) jumped out at me. But any Australian connection is news to me. She was born in Birmingham and is remembered on the Birmingham Roll of Honour and on a plaque in a church in Edgbaston. She died of dysentry on the 24th August 1918 and is buried in France.

latter addition. I have now looked at the site. There is a note that 360 men and women served in the FANY of which 10 might be Australian. Fidgeon has been included simply because an E. Fidgeon has been found in Australian files. In view of Norman's comment above that number should be brought back to 8 and I am guessing that few, if any, Australians were in the FANY, which, in general, were ladies of a certain station drawn from British minor aristocracy.