Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lanarkshire Royal Engineer Volunteers

Howard Chamberlain

Greetings everyone.

Does anyone know of a roll of the Lanarkshire Royal Engineer Volunteers who served in the Great War?

I have a group pf medals to Spr John McQuarrie who was a Sgt in this unit before the war but blotted his copybook and was demoted in 1916 from Acting Sgt to Spr for drinking outside approved hours. Are there any named photos of the unit? Also have medal of SSgt J.R. Mckechnie who was in the same unit. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Howard

Howard,

Not 100% sure of this, but I think that the Lanarkshire Royal Engineers Volunteers were incorporated into the Lowland Division Royal Engineers ( Territorial)

Will try to find out more if I can.

Regards,

Jasmor58

• 2 weeks later...

He has a record on Ancestry - http://search.ancest...=John+McQuarrie

Reversion to corporal from sergeant was at his own request, the demotion from corporal to sapper was due to his drinking.

Many thanks for your info.

I have now compiled this info about my man. Shown in Royal Engineers List as Spr. Trio comprises British War Medal, Victory Medal and ER VII Volunteer Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. John McQuarrie was born 1 May 1871. Married in the District of Milton in the Burgh of Glasgow 2 Jan 1894 39 Kilburn Street, Glasgow, after publication recording the forms of the Free Church of Scotland. Had at least 20 years previous service from Spr to Sergeant in 1/Lanark Royal Engineer Volunteers (Glasgow) before WW1. The Volunteer Long Service Medal was probably issued before 1908. On enlisting in the Royal Engineers for War Service he was aged 42 years 8 months. Attested as Pioneer on 8 Jun 1915. Promoted Cpl 9 Jun 15 at Hitchin Signal Depot. Promoted Acting Sgt 13 Dec 15 also at Hitchin Sig Depot. Reverted at own request to Cpl 14 Mar 16. Landed in France in rank of Corporal 17 Jun 16, with 54th Motor Airline Section, RE. Severely reprimanded 31 Jul 16 drinking beer during prohibited hours. Re-mustered as Telegraphist (Field Line) 1 Nov 16. Trial by Field General Court Marshal 7 Apr 17 sentenced to 28 Days No 1 Field Punishment commuted to reduction to rank of Sapper on 14 Apr 17 by General H. Rawlinson, Commander 4th Army. Also served in Italy with 54 (Motor) Airline Section which went there with XIV Corps arriving on 5 Nov 1917.

Kind regards

Howard

Howard,

Not 100% sure of this, but I think that the Lanarkshire Royal Engineers Volunteers were incorporated into the Lowland Division Royal Engineers ( Territorial)

Will try to find out more if I can.

Regards,

Jasmor58

Thank you for your assistance. Every little bit adds to the story.

Regards

HOward