Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joining Dates?

IJDALLINGER

I am currently researching my Great Uncle. Private James Reid Dallinger. 26417. 12th Bttn. East Surrey Reg. KIA 22.10.18. Buried Harlebeke New British Cemetary. I have two questions. I have down loaded his Medal Index card but there is no date joined shown. In the absence of his service record how can I find this date? I would like to research his career through the battalion history book. Secondly. I understand that Harlebeke was formed from battlefield cemetaries. Would the CWGC keep any records of his original buriel site?

Thanks for any help.

CWGC will have details and from memory there are memorials in the cemetery to some of the other cemeteries. Look up the cemetery on the forum as a number of threads exist for it.

This is one of them. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=164925&st=0&p=1603782&hl=harlebeke&fromsearch=1entry1603782

PM - jacksmum as she is the expert :)

SM

I am currently researching my Great Uncle. Private James Reid Dallinger. 26417. 12th Bttn. East Surrey Reg. KIA 22.10.18. Buried Harlebeke New British Cemetary.

<snip>

I have down loaded his Medal Index card but there is no date joined shown. In the absence of his service record how can I find this date?

SC

Looking at the Medal Index Card it shows entitlement to the pair (British War & Victory Medals) with no date of entry into theatre so sometime after January 1st 1916. The dates on the Medal Index Card were usually only filled in if qualifying for either of the Stars (1914 or 1914/15), the date being when the theatre of war was entered to thus qualify, it is not a joining date. Note also that James's Service Number is given as 26147 and not 26417.

I'm not sure what sort of detail the East Surrey's BWM & Victory Medal Rolls show but it would be worthwhile looking at James's as it should, at the very least, give the details of which battalions he served overseas with.

In the absence of service records those of men with service numbers around the one in question can sometimes give an indication as to possible service. In this instance records are available for #26133 and #26169 (so either side of your man) which show a common theme and which could possibly be extended to James.

Both men were conscripted and placed on Army Reserve, #26133 attested 24/08/1916 and #26169 on 20/09/1916. They were mobilised on 19/02/1917 and 16/02/1917 respectively and both Posted to 97th Training Reserve Battalion. On 21/06/1917 they were both Transferred and Posted to 209th Infantry Battalion, on 12/09/1917 both Transferred to the BEF (presumably to an Infantry Base Depot) and on 21/09/1917 both were Posted to the 1st Battalion East Surrey Regiment.

There, I'm afraid, their service goes separate ways, #26133 was wounded with the 1st Battalion on 06/10/1917 whilst #26169 was transferred from the 1st to 8th Battalion on 12/08/1918, back to the 1st Battalion on 29/08/1918, to the 12th Battalion on 15/10/1918 and finally to the 9th Battalion on 08/03/1919. It's possible that James's service followed along the same lines as these two but by no means definite, hopefully the Medal Roll will throw some light on the subject.

Hope this helps.

Steve

• 5 years later...

Mr. Dallinger, sorry a few years late on this however, your great uncle, is my great-great uncle. Would like to touch base with you, are you still checking in on this site?

• Admin
14 hours ago, Jfage77 said:

Mr. Dallinger, sorry a few years late on this however, your great uncle, is my great-great uncle. Would like to touch base with you, are you still checking in on this site?

Last visited 23 March, you could try sending a personal email, though I think you need five posts to use the system.

Ken