Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Crossing the Adhaim

pgardiner1418

A friends Uncle, Cpl Reginald George 35218, was killed in action with the 6th East Lancashire’s on 18/04/17.

I notice that on that date the 13th Western Division crossed the Adhaim can anyone tell me what was happening in the area that may have resulted in his death.

Cpl George is commemorated on the Basra Memorial.

Thanks,

Paul.

A friends Uncle, Cpl Reginald George 35218, was killed in action with the 6th East Lancashire’s on 18/04/17.

I notice that on that date the 13th Western Division crossed the Adhaim can anyone tell me what was happening in the area that may have resulted in his death.

Cpl George is commemorated on the Basra Memorial.

Thanks,

Paul.

The Turks has dug themselves in on the western side of the Shatt al Adhaim river on the edge of some cliffs strung out over a distance of about three and a half miles. their line varying from between a few yards to a mile from the winding river which at this point was about a mile wide with steep cliff-like banks. 38 Brigade was ordered to cross the river. Before light on 18 April the East Lancashires waded across and were followed by the 6th Kings Own in boats. Between them they captured the main Turkish garrison by shortly before noon and had a bridge thrown across the river so that 35 Brigade and the cavalry were able to dash over and pursue the retreating enemy, capturing 1,250 prisoners.

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the information. Margaret will be chuffed as she only found out a while ago that her Uncle had been killed in the war.

All the best,

Paul.