The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

If ever you get the chance to meet......

John_Hartley

......don't pass it up.

Kate & Martin are two of my longest-standing "virtual friends" on this Forum. We've emailed often. We've even spoken once or twice. But I hadnt met them till this weekend.

They braved the West Coast Mainline for a couple of days in the Rainy City (and it lived up to reputation) and I had the pleasure of spending Saturday with them. Great fun and great "Pals" (and herself is not half as daunting as her "demon moderator" persona. Honest!).

Thanks, both. :D

John

Would love the chance to see all three of you, they were nice enough to take a grave picture at Lone Pine of an Australian officer who once lived in Lexington, Kentucky and attended UK for me. I have since been there myself.

Having met Martin & Kate the first piece of advice I would give is don't let Kate wander off by herself :ph34r: .......................I'll let them or another of the Verdun tour Pals explain why

Having met Martin & Kate the first piece of advice I would give is don't let Kate wander off by herself :ph34r: .......................I'll let them or another of the Verdun tour Pals explain why

... but if Kate does wander off, make sure you have a very loud whistle.

Me thinks that at the next meeting of the WFA I shall have a few questions to ask a certain lady, that has somehow slipped past my attention. A branch of which i am a member because of the above two people who kindly invited me attend a meeting many months ago.

And as I am not into getting mushy i shall leave it at that.

regards

Arm.

... but if Kate does wander off, make sure you have a very loud whistle.

Certainly louder than Martin's as Kate didn't appear to hear it :lol:

I had the great pleasure of meeting Kate and Martin last November. Not only did they get my ticket for the WFA luncheon, but also walked me back to Victoria Station and made sure I got on the right train back to Surrey. I have this strange feeling that since I cannot see in the distance very well, I might well still be standing at Victoria, waiting for the right train. Reading those boards is murder on the visually impaired! That sort of kindness can never be repaid, not to mention the gorgeous vanilla tea that I have become very fond of!

And yes, I DO have glasses that work - when I wear them! You can ask Ianw about that when I tried to read the road signs in Armentieres!

Cynthia

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks!!

I have only just caught up with this thread, having been on holiday while you were busy talking about me; and in Jon and Will's case alluding to those times when a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do, and when she finds herself in predominately male company, has to go that much further to do it alone. When she then comes across a dug-out, and gets into all sorts of contortions trying to photograph it, well, they say time flies when you are enjoying yourself.

And time really did fly on our trip to Manchester to meet John and Janet, then on to Bury next day to visit the East Lancs Steam Railway.

John and Janet, that really was a banquet, and we enjoyed that almost as much as your company. A fabulous evening, and I cannot begin to thank you enough.

For the record, John is as companionable in real life as he is on Forum. Janet is a very sophisticated lady, who has travelled much. She has been to MK (sent there on business Will, she didn't go voluntarily to satisfy her curiosity - sensible too) and quickly developed the same impressions as the rest of the civilised world. I look forward to meeting them, and many more Pals in future.

Paul - you are the only person on this thread I have not met, and I hope to remedy that someday. I treasure my cap, and thankyou for alerting me to the reality of personalised headwear. Go big K, and c'mon you Ks!

Arm - glad you took the plunge last year, and we'll get mushy at Harrington on Thursday, when I'll give you a smidgen of info on Gen F-Walker.

Cynthia - Accompanying you to the station was a selfish gesture, done purely to extend our meeting. It is much easier to converse without a keyboard and the Atlantic Ocean in the way, and we were making use of the opportunity. We hope to repeat the process next month.

PS Will, you should go to Manchester soon! Before 12 September. Up until then you will feel really at home there, as the city is strewn with fibreglass cows! You may have herd of this in another thread, but I'll let others milk the subject...

PS Will, you should go to Manchester soon! Before 12 September. Up until then you will feel really at home there, as the city is strewn with fibreglass cows! You may have herd of this in another thread, but I'll let others milk the subject...

Kate............One of the skeleton's in my cupboard is that the dear Mrs O'B is a Manchester girl................the outlaws still live there & I spent many an evening wooing by taking her to the finest eating establishments Rusholme & China Town could provide.....................Oh yes.............'herd of this' & 'milk the subject'...............udderly terrible puns Kate.........cud it be I'm a little amoosed by it :P