Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pointless Quiz 5.15 p.m. December 12 2011

Alan Tucker

Seems to me history, both old and modern is a thing of the past in school teaching.

Hello David

The inclusion of WW1 as part of history teaching in Schools has been covered previously.

See http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=162376&view=findpost&p=1576503&hl=&fromsearch=1

Children of ages 11 and 12 currently cover the period in quite a lot of detail. Reading the contributions to the above thread reveals that this was not necessarily so in the past ie 1950's - 1990's.

Kevin

Of course, to get it into perspective we must remember that 100 people is approximately 0.0009% of the population of Belgium. We musn't forget to use Belgium as the yard (metre?) stick.

Roger

Come on Keith, I remember that incident well, but you are just using it as an example in order to be able to do a bit of Southampton bashing!! LOL

I think you'll find they were in Portsmout - a far inferior town :whistle:

There was mob violence in Portsmouth, or rather Paulsgrove a development in the north of the city, for several nights, and to my best recollection one of the TV interviews with the self appointed crusaders was conducted outside the home of a paediatrician whose home displayed a brass plate with that description, and who was therefore deemed to be a threat to all young children. I was ashamed then for the appalling ignorance displayed (apart from the burned out cars).

Keith

The 100 people who answer the 'Pointless' questions are members of their own audience for that programme.

Sue

They don't actually say that, Sue, and I don't believe it for the reasons I gave in my earlier post. AA actually says "...before the show..." (which of course it has to be, in order to get the figures!) but I don't think he mentions the audience at all.

Ron

One of the regulars at our local pub quiz won 'Pointless' a few weeks ago. She confirmed it definitely isn't the audience who are asked.

I was having a think about this. A young (29) friend of mine, co-starring in my profile picture, is a highly intelligent and capable housewife, helps out running husbands company, is bringing up 2 children one of whom is disabled, she hasn't got a clue what year any war ended. My attempts to engage her in conversation during extreme bike rides regarding my interests (the WW1 ones obviously) are tolerated until she sees an interesting barn conversion or I notice she has put in her ipod headphones. She doesn't know and she really doesn't care that she doesn't know, but she does personally know local men lost during the Gulf and in Afghanistan, she knows as much as you can about those conflicts. So perhaps we are out of our time?

but she does personally know local men lost during the Gulf and in Afghanistan, she knows as much as you can about those conflicts. So perhaps we are out of our time?

Mmmmmm. Thought provoking post. I have to confess knowing little about the Gulf and Afghanistan apart from what I glean from the news.

Roger

I am not too concerned that 54 people out of 100 could not name the year as 1918 when the war ended, or indeed technically as 1919 when the Treaty was signed. I am rather more concerned that the School Curriculum does not expand on this subject in order to broaden the extent of knowledge of our future generation.

Remember this on 3-2-1.....

Ted Rodgers "Who wrote Handel's Water Music?"

Contestant: Mozart.

Ted: No, I can now hand it over to the other couple.

Other contestant: Was it Beethoven?

Ted: Im sorry, the answer is Handel. :wacko:

Or on Family Fortunes.....

Words beginning with the letter Z

xylophone!

Bruce

Or on Family Fortunes.....

Words beginning with the letter Z

xylophone!

Bruce

This is a transcript of a call I reviewed in the NHS

Call handler 'hello is that Mrs *******?'

Caller 'No its its Mr ********'

Call handler 'Oh sorry you sounded like a woman when you called before'

Caller 'that was my wife'

Call handler 'really?'

Caller - silence

Call handler 'well there you go you never know do you'

Caller - longer silence

Call handler 'welll ok then, can you confirm your name?'

Caller '**** ******'

Call handler 'ok, so how is that spelt?'

Caller ' * * * * * '

Call handler 'is that a Q?'

Caller 'yes'

Call handler 'Q as in cucumber?'

Caller - silence

Call handler 'hello, hello, hello, oh dear we seem to have been cut off'

There is no poll I have ever taken part in that has been an accurate reflection of the truth, I always lie.

If you tell us you always lie (including in that statement) does this actually mean that at least sometimes you tell the truth ...

Ian, the biggest lie is that the statement wasn't originally mine. But then.....

I was watching pointless the other day when a hundred people were asked to name the regiments of the Foot Guards.The Welsh Guards came top and the Grenadiers came last,a result that i found suprising.Unless of course they asked a hundred welsh people!

Unless of course they asked a hundred welsh people!

...outside Poundland, Wrexham...

Would have been Grenadiers if they asked outside Waitrose in Chelsea!

Ian, the biggest lie is that the statement wasn't originally mine. But then.....

So, you're from Crete, then? Is your real name E P DDDDD?

Ron

Back to the question

Being pedantic historians, we Know the answer should have been 1919

If you were the contestant would you

keep your head down and say 1918,

say 1919 (and then argue with the two who run the show)

or

Say "the answer you have got will probably be 1918 but actually etc. etc.

Come 2014 and everyone will know dates etc!

To give my young pupness away. I was in junior school during WW2 50th anniversary years. I had most of WW2 force feed to me. to this day, not that intrested in the subject.

Every generation learns new things, I dont think there is time to cover everything. It is up to us that have the intrest to drive that forward.

Oh and who mentioned cycling and converastion? fairplay..........im fairly high placed in the BBAR(time trials) and cant talk once pedaling at any pace!

Ignorance is not confined to WW1 matters, or even dates.

In yesterday's edition, the contestants were asked to name one of the counties in the English first-class cricket championship.

One lady answered "Twickenham."

Ron

Which nicely illustrates the point that General Knowledge is neither easy nor hard. It's simply a case of you know it or you don't.

I couldn't name two counties in English first class cricket. I could probably guess at them, but without any confidence in my response.

But I wouldn't have said Twickenham. Surely everybody knows that they are in the cricket second division. :thumbsup:

Twickenham is not in the second division of county cricket.....but Yorkshire is!

:devilgrin:

Bruce