Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sir Winston Churchill

Terry_Reeves

Between 1885 and 1963, Churchill was the recipient of some 37 orders, medals and decorations including the 1914-15 Star, British War and Victory medals.

Two medals do puzzle me however. The Territorial Decoration, authorised on 31 October 1924, and the United States Army Distinguished Service Medal, authorised on 10 May 1919, and awarded on 16 July the same year.

Any clues as to why these two medals were awarded to him would be appreciated.

Terry Reeves

Terry

I think that Churchill was awarded the TD because of his membership of the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars. In the 1914 Army list he is ranked as a Major with seniority 27 May 1905.

Charles M

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Not to do a great man down but Churchill was an infamous medal 'chaser'. There is at least one documented case of him writing to the War Office to receive a campaign medal for which he barely qualified as he had spent most of the time as a War Correspondent.

Ian :blink:

Not to do a great man down but Churchill was an infamous medal 'chaser'.

I do believe that the Queen was awarded the WWII Defence Medal, granted by Churchill, although she didn't do the 3 years that were required for it.

Ian;

No offence meant - but a touch harsh to knock him getting a medal for being a war correspondent; this was a common practice in the Boer War and certain other Victorian campaigns. He wasn't unique in receiving a medal.

Phil

As a war correspondent WSC was also very much in the thick of the action being taken prisoner and escaping.

I am curious as to why he became a POW, were war correspondents not exempt from being taken POW?

In fact does anyone know what their status was in the Boer War and Great War, and has this status changed viz-a-viz the current situation with British War Correspondents operating in Baghdad?

Do Iraqi War Correspondents attend Press briefings at the Coalition HQ?

Tim

Didnt he also carry and use a revolver in the Boer War ... which would have negated his official status as "war correspondent"?

I'm not really 'up' on the 2nd Anglo/Boer War but I know that the Boers put a price on Churchill's head.

Wasn't he captured when the armoured train he was in was captured by the Boers?

If I remember rightly, the gun he used in his escape (on loan to him) and some other 'Churchill' related items were recently auctioned and went for a pretty penny!

Queen's South Africa Medals to War Correspondents are eagerly sought by medal collectors nowadays; prices are about £1200!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Phil,

No offence taken! The medal chasing story comes from the book - Winston Churchill, My Early Years!

As for the gun Churchill used during the Boer War, it was a Mauser C96 'Broomhandle' 7.63mm automatic pistol, which is on display at Chartwell.

Ian :rolleyes:

Since the Crimea, war medals have been commonly been issued to War Correspondants. They also got them in WW1, and I believe in WW2 as well. I am not sure whether they are still entitled to them?

This is one of the criteria for award of the US Army DSM

'Awards may be made to persons other than members of the Armed Forces of the United States for wartime services only, and then only under exceptional circumstances with the express approval of the President in each case.

Could it be that his American Connection came into play?

War correspondents did not qualify for war grave status if they were killed during WW1 but they did during WW2 as they had come under the direction of the military by that time.

He was certainly aware of the image he projected and , of course, a chestful of medals always helps when you are in uniform. I understand that he had a preference for wearing the uniform of an RAF Air Commodore for sartorial reasons , colour ,cut etc.

Terry - I realise that this is completely irrelevant to your original posting (apologies !), but if you ever want to get someone "out of your hair" at PRO just send them off to look for Winston Spencer Churchill's WW1 service medal index card. Works every time. Regards - Tom.

Tom

Many thanks. I have not had occassion to do this yet, but I will bear your ruse in mind. No doubt it will keep them occupied for some time.

Thanks also to all those who have also taken the trouble to reply.

Terry Reeves

War correspondents did not qualify for war grave status if they were killed during WW1 but they did during WW2 as they had come under the direction of the military by that time.

Terry.

Am I correct in assuming that these (WW2) graves are those with the "circular linked chains and letter "C"" badge that I've seen on occasion.(I'm asking this because I didn't photograph one,but for some reason drew this design in my notebook a few years ago,when I was making a record of "different" war graves).

Thanks,

Dave.

Short answer is 'yes'; the cap badge of the War Correspondent in WW2 (at least) was a gold wire embroidered 'C' in a circular chain device, all on green. They also wore varying kinds of shoulder titles, the most usual being a 'slip over' worn on the shoulder strap reading:

WAR

CORRESPONDENT

('Correspondent' being in a curve)

Oops. This won't let me align them - but the 'war' was centred above 'correspondent'.