Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

DAVE PLATT

SHELL CASING MARKINGS

DAVE PLATT

Hi All,

A cheeky little local auction recently threw up 2 WW1 brass shell casing examples. 1 an 18 pounder and I'm happy with that, the other a 75mm diameter casing showing the base markings of:

A. RS. L135. 14.S

15 DEC

Inner ring 1914 ATS

I got the two for £25, which I thought a bargain, but what do those markings mean please?

Dave

TonyE

French 75mm Field gun.

Made by A.RS, Atelier de Construction de Rennes, Lot No.135 in 1914. It should read 75 DE C for Canone 75mm De Campagne or 75mm Field Gun.

Primer made by A.TS, Atelier de Construction de Rennes in 1914.

Regards

TonyE

DAVE PLATT

Hi Tony,

Brilliant, thanks most informative

Best Regards

Dave

TonyE

Hi Tony,

Brilliant, thanks most informative

Best Regards

Dave

It would have been more informative if I had given you the correct answer!

The primer was made by A.TS, Atelier de Construction de TARBES, not as I foolishly typed.

Cheers

TonyE

DAVE PLATT

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the clarification and accurate information

Its appreciated

Best Regards

Dave

Guest Chris.ci

Hello all. I've recently purchased a piece of trench art brass and I'm unable to identify some of the markings. It is a Remington UMC 75mm case. There is no year stamp, only 163L4 16 and "PCFD", which is stamped through with a "C"... Any information would be appreciated.

TonyE

A picture of the markings would be helpful, together with the case length. However, it sounds like it is a Remington made case for the French 75mm guns supplied to the US, although it may be a direct French contract round. If the date is 1916, as I suspect it is, then it will be the latter.

Regards

TonyE

Guest Chris.ci

Here is an image, case length can not be known as it has been shortened to ~130mm. As I understand PCFD was a purely French designation, but I don't understand the C stamp over. Would it have been a factory redesignation before shipment?

post-86260-0-69727400-1324425769.jpg

TonyE

it is definitely a case made on contract for the French and the date is April 1916 as shown by the "4 16" after the Lot number. The "75 DEC" is the abbreviation for "75mm Canone de Campagne" (75mm Field gun".

I suspect the "C" may be an identifier of which factory or production line the case was produced on at Remington, as it seems part of the original stamping.

Regards

TonyE

Doriw99

I found this in my back barn can u tell me what thelse numbers and letters stand for.

20170119_130734.jpg

20170119_130718.jpg

squirrel

French 75mm cartridge case - others may be able to add more.

Brad

This is a follow up to a previous post asking for info on a French 75 that I have, I did eecieve some help but was requested to add a photo which I now have hope this helps

thanks

Brad

DSCN0414.JPG

Vol De Mort

Can someone help me interpret these markings? I know it's 1916 French 75mm, but that is all.

Thanks.

20181205_115903.jpg

20181205_115836.jpg

MikeyH

MAM is Manufacture Arms Marseille, date 1916. 480L probable batch number.

Mike.

D White

Hello!

I just picked up a piece of wonderful trench art and thanks to the above posts I know I have an A.RS L676 shell.
Attached are three stamps that I'm inquiring about, any ideas? I should say they are very small...

Here's where I'm lost1036926820_TA75mmA.RSL767.jpg.502b0acbd8453ffe44997da0dc29ff86.jpg

TA 75mm A. RS L767-2.jpg

TA 75mm A. RS L767-3.jpg

Edited by D White

trajan

Welcome to GWF!

Might be better and much more helpful to see them in context, i.e., the entire base

Trajan