Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Comrades of the Great War Buildings

Skipman

This is Aberfeldy's Comrades of the Great Wat Hut. Sadly now in a state of decay. It's very damp and used as a junk store. If only walls could talk. I don't know much about it. I believe it had a bar, and a billiard table.

Do you have any photographs of your local hut?

vxypvb.jpg

e7xnpk.jpg

k0lgyw.jpg

Mike

Well it's still got a billiard/snooker table light. Doesn't look like junk (folding table, chairs, light scaffolding components etc).

Well it's still got a billiard/snooker table light. Doesn't look like junk (folding table, chairs, light scaffolding components etc).

I suppose not junk. This building is part of the Town Hall and I think the Comrades building has just been used for storing various items. I believe the scaffolding belongs to a firm that is no longer trading.

Mike

QUOTE: I believe the scaffolding belongs to a firm that is no longer trading.

Perhaps a more legitimate target for scrap thieves than some they have used.

QUOTE: I believe the scaffolding belongs to a firm that is no longer trading.

:)

It's probably worth more as is.

Mike

Wrong kind of metal

Getting back to Comrades of the Great War.I believe that as time went on many parts were quietly absorbed into the RBL and who knows what happened to the huts. I think the nearest to where I am was probably in Ludlow but where it is, if still standing at all, there seems to be no public available record.

Thanks centurion. There is another building in a village 6 miles away, built by a Black Watch MM recipient. Will post photos when find them. It is still in use, and in good repair. There is also a small montage of 10 or so soldiers who fell in ww1.

I think aluminium is probably quite acceptable to the criminal fraternity?

Cheers Mike

My local Comrades of the Great War hut was opened in 1922 but was soon renamed as an Institute and has now evolved into a Social Club. I understood that this hut was a wooden structure but I may be wrong; it was gradually replaced and later extended as a brick building with a tile roof and no trace of the original can now be seen. I would love to find a photo of the hut but none has yet been traced.

MC

Thanks centurion. There is another building in a village 6 miles away, built by a Black Watch MM recipient. Will post photos when find them. It is still in use, and in good repair. There is also a small montage of 10 or so soldiers who fell in ww1.

I think aluminium is probably quite acceptable to the criminal fraternity?

Cheers Mike

I'll be amazed if it's aluminium. Most scaffolding is mild steel and it does get stolen - to sell on as scaffolding to dodgy building contractors not scrap.

I'll be amazed if it's aluminium. Most scaffolding is mild steel and it does get stolen - to sell on as scaffolding to dodgy building contractors not scrap.

You might be right. Next time I am there, I will test it with a magnet. That's if it hasn't been nicked?

Mike

Thanks CGM. I suppose rural areas like my own, needed more buildings, whereas larger communities could use existing buildings?

I wonder if the men ever shared their experiences, or whether war talk was taboo?

Here is a photograph of some of the Aberfeldy Comrades.

xkqbfq.jpg

I have a photograph of Acharn Comrades Hut(cannot find it at moment) . It was more a community hall, and I'm unsure if it was actually a Comrades of the Great War meeting place. There is this montage mounted on the wall of some of the fallen of Loch Tayside.

2qs738y.jpg One of these men is my wife's great uncle, Driver 96764 John L Fraser, 2nd Divisional Ammunition Column,RFA .

Mike

Hi Mike

I found this ww 1 hut on google and I thought it might fit in with your thread.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/VhdrjeBRT4ivCySIgJtc4w

I will try and see if there are any ww1 hut in use in my area

cheer's Mike

Ian