Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Lancs Regiment

BillyH

Hello, are there any East Lancs experts out there?

I am researching our local memorial and am struggling to identify the following soldier as the one I am looking for:-

2nd Lt Herbert Davey 3rd Battalion attached to 6th Battalion.

KIA 18/4/1917 and listed on the Basra memorial.

Ideally I would like to find him born or resident in Bebington, Cheshire or nearby but the CWGC doesn't give any help on this, and SDGW never seems to give birthplace or residency information for officers killed.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks, BillyH

BillyH

One Officer file at Kew,WO339/18005,for a 2/Lt H DAVEY. If someone here can check their WO338 Index it may prove to be him if it's showing East Lancs.

There are also three Officer files in WO374 for just H DAVEY:56677;69027 and 75678.Perhaps the only way of finding which,if any,of these is he is to look at Kew.

There should be the detail you require,plus a bit more of a life story,in one or other of these files.

Sotonmate

BillyH

The file is WO339/56677 and I have some pics from it. I require your e-mail by PM here in order to send them.

Sotonmate

• 2 months later...

I'm back again with this one!

I have now tracked down most of the details for 2nd Lt. Herbert Davey, including his service history, medal card, etc - but am unable to get a war diary excerpt for the day he was KIA (18th April 1917)

Can any East Lancs expert help with any idea of what was going on for the 6th Battalion that day?

Very grateful for any help with this,

Regards BillyH

I'm back again with this one!

I have now tracked down most of the details for 2nd Lt. Herbert Davey, including his service history, medal card, etc - but am unable to get a war diary excerpt for the day he was KIA (18th April 1917)

Can any East Lancs expert help with any idea of what was going on for the 6th Battalion that day?

Very grateful for any help with this,

Regards BillyH

Fulwood Museum will have the war diaries. The 6th East were in the middle East in 1917.