Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Henry Arnot

BillyH

Good afternoon,

I am researching the men on our local memorial and would like a bit more information than I have on the above man, this is what I know so far (from the CWGC site) :-

Commander George Henry Arnot R.D. (Royal Naval Reserve)

Son of George Ulicke Arnot and Husband of Lucy M. Arnot of No. 1 Woodhey Road, Bebington/Rock Ferry

Died 28/10/1917 aged 46 and is buried in the local churchyard with an impressive private headstone.

I would like to know if he died at home of injuries, and if not why is he on the memorial & why would he have an entry on the CWGC site?

Did he actually serve in the Great War?

Anything else would be a bonus - service record - photo etc. Please feel free to come up with any suggestions.

Thanks, BillyH

Seems he did die at home, Billy, but unfortunately can't help with why:-

Name: George H Arnot

Birth Date: abt 1871

Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1917

Age at Death: 46

Registration district: Wirral

Inferred County: Cheshire

Back again with more information and another request for advice.

I have downloaded George's record from National Archives, but it is only 2 sheets. It is too big a file to attach here, but suffice to say that there is not much info on them.

Sheet 1 has "Skeleton Card" written across it in red ink with the only additional information being a list of his promotions

Sub Lt 00869 : appointment 18/3/1896 : seniority 24/2/1896

Lieutenant 0800 : appointment 13/2/1901 : seniority 11/2/1901

Lt. Com 0800 : appointment 11/2/1909

only other info is "Date of seniority 18/5/1917" and "Died (home) 28/10/1917" plus "Lloyds list 1/11/1917"

Sheet 2 just has his name and rank as Commander, with Date of seniority 18/5/1917

On a previous post horatio2 assured me that George qualified for the 3 war medals, but the above record doesn't seem to indicate any activity in WW1

horatio2 also suggested that I should ask if anyone on the GWF could check the contemporary WW1 Navy lists to see where he was serving in WW1

I would be really grateful for any help in this respect, my knowledge about the Army is limited but the Navy is non existent.

Finally (out of nosiness), how high is the rank of Commander?

Regards, BillyH

Billy,

The November 1916 Navy List has him in command of the armed boarding steamer HMS PERTH from 26th September 1915. His rank is Lt. Commander/acting Commander.

PERTH

2502 tons, built 1915, 3x4.7 inch guns, 14.5 knots, in service 27/8/15 - 18/9/19.

David.

Thanks to all, I have all the information I need now.

Arabis, the service on the HMS Perth was the final bit I needed, I can only presume that he died at home of natural causes in 1917.

Thanks once again, BillyH