Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Africa Military Cross

Droocoo

Hi all,

Would someone be able to obtain the MIC for Lt G.E Hawkins MC for east Africa? 4th Kings African Rifles. Furthermore, any information about the battle that his actions took place at would be greatly appreciated.

L/G 26-3-1918 - “For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. Owing to his courageous example he

rendered invaluable assistance in beating off a charge made by greatly superior forces of the enemy, upon whom

heavy casualties were inflicted. Having withdrawn his men in good order, he finally carried a wounded officer

back to safety under very heavy fire. His cool bearing and utter fearlessness were most praiseworthy”.

Captain Hawkins is also mentioned as leading a bayonet charge at the battle of Leleo River. could anyone please find more information on the battle/ him, as so far I have had no luck. Any census records to ascertain his age in WW1 would be excellent too (my ancestry is down atm).

Thankyou

See my reply to your same post on the British Medal Forum. Dick Flory

Droocers

Greetings

It was a prompt award for his actions at ABDULLA KWA NANGA, German East Africa on 16 Nov 1917.

See pages 376 & 378 of The King's African Rifles by Lieutenant Colonel H. Moyse-Bartlett.

1/4 KAR went out on a limb, split into two groups, and both groups took a beating from German troops withdrawing from the western end of the Central Railway.

Harry

• 3 weeks later...

Droocers

Greetings

It was a prompt award for his actions at ABDULLA KWA NANGA, German East Africa on 16 Nov 1917.

See pages 376 & 378 of The King's African Rifles by Lieutenant Colonel H. Moyse-Bartlett.

1/4 KAR went out on a limb, split into two groups, and both groups took a beating from German troops withdrawing from the western end of the Central Railway.

Harry

Harry good evening my name is Mark Simpson.

Researching Lt Geooffrey Simpson KAR who won an MC at Abulla Kwa Nanga same date as you refer to... can you elaborate on this from the Regtl History to which you refer.

Thank you

Simpson

Mark

I'm sure Harry will be able to elaborate but in the meantime this is the MC citation from the London Gazette #30862, 24th August 1918, Page 9917.

T./Lt. Geoffrey Simpson, K.A.R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When with a small party, which was attacked by superior numbers of the enemy, he continued fighting, leading and encouraging his men, though he had been twice wounded. His courage and dogged determination were worthy of the highest praise, and proved a splendid example to the men under him.

Regards

Steve

Mark

Greetings & thank you for your interest in the East African Campaign.

Steve has provided the citation.

I intend to write a description of this action next year, as it is a very interesting one.

Basically 1/4 KAR was despatched into the unknown without any real support, see:

http://www.kaiserscross.com/188001/194501.html

As I said, the battalion took a bad beating.

Best Regards Harry

Dear Harry & Steve

My gratefull thanks for your help. Some while ago TNA supplied me with the Citation page 9917, that Steve refers too, and the initial announcement/s dated 22nd March (number 30597) page 3746 London, page 1183 Edinburgh 29th March.

They also sent me an additional copy of 24th August 1918 page 9917, completely annotated with theatres for all the 13 actions on the page and each one numbered and dated, which i assume is the action date.

Number 0137/5067 Abdulla Kwa Nanga, E Africa refers to Simpson dated 16.11.17. Majority are 11/17, 2 off 12/17, 2off 01 & 02,1918.

They were unable to elaborate on the specific action, which i assume took place November 1917, hence my query and soliciting advice. Or is the LG dated wrongly ?

Harry

Please may i query the link you have provided for Walser August 1918 is that the link you intended to send me ?

Again look forward to seeing you write up of the action, if you would be so kind as to confirm that the August 1918 is appropiate, or direct me to the appropiate link that would be very much appreciated.

Once again thank you for your help.

Have a good New Year & all the best.

Mark.

Harry Too much brown juice last night when typing, hence my typo mistake... should have read August 1917 was that the link you intended to send me ? Not as written 1918.

Regards all best Mark.

Mark

That short article describes the mobilisation and departure of the 1/4 KAR column that eventually was decimated at Abdullah Kwa Nanga.

Happy New Year Harry

Thanks Harry, your articles were excellent. I would love to know more about Abdulla Kwa Nanga as well as the Leleo River action. Would you happen to have an article on this?

Thanks Harry,

your articles were excellent. I would love to know more about Abdulla Kwa Nanga

as well as the Leleo River action. Would you happen to have an article on

this?

Hi good evening or morning... interesting we have common ground re Abdulla Kwa Nanga ...seems like Your man and Simpson both gained MC's same day, like to compare notes ? simpsonmark719@gmail.com

Be interesting to see whom the officer was that that your related interest rescused, as Simpsons MC cites him as being wounded, i am aware he was hopsitalised for considerable period afterwards.

Regards Mark

Mark

An entry in 1/4 KAR's Despatch No 17 of 21st November 1917 states:

In the meantime Captain Lindsey and Lieutenant Simpson had been cut off completely from us, and after holding up the enemy's assault with about 40 men for a time, and then being surrounded, they cut their way out, and went towards ABDULLAH KWA NANGA.

He and his party continually bumped parties of the enemy where the latter least expected an attack, and so he was able to take full toll of them. They were chased everywhere but nothing daunted they attacked any parties met and inflicted many casualties.

Captain Lindsay and party reached MTETESSI about 4 pm. They had with them wounded Lieutenant Simpson and four Askaris, and about 60 soldiers. Luckily they met a small convoy of local food on its way to FAUME from KANDURA, and Lindsay was able to exist on this until he joined up with us at the NAMPUNGU River on the 18th.

Harry

• 2 weeks later...

Harry just obtained KAR by Moyse-Bartlett super book.. it really is 'deeds that made the empire' Await your article to add more to Simpson.

Thanks Best regards Mark

• 4 months later...

Mark & Droocers

I've now completed my Abdullah Kwa Nanga article and will get it up on the net soon.

Do you have any photographs of the personalities that interest you?

Harry