Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cheshire Bantams Shoulder titles

gerd.deboeck

There seems sense in that, FS, though I'm not sure I ever though of it in this way - bearing in mind the mass of recruits that were joining as the war progressed - but as you say, such distinctions would surely become blurred in this period.

Peter

There seems sense in that, FS, though I'm not sure I ever though of it in this way - bearing in mind the mass of recruits that were joining as the war progressed - but as you say, such distinctions would surely become blurred in this period.

Peter

Well Peter, my thinking like that is the product of both, studying photos and my own experiences of 37-years being equipped from QM's stores and, in the latter part, being involved in their supply chain. The principles have changed little.smile.gif

Another aspect of Service battalions to note is that they were specifically to be categorised as Regulars, but serving under different Terms of Engagement, usually 3 years or the duration of the war. There was an Army Order to this effect. This [until the rules changed] could produce some strange anomalies, in that a regular of any rank outranked any Special Reserve man of the same rank, who in turn outranked his TF equivalent. Thus a corporal in a newly created S battalion outranked a long-serving corporal of the SR or TF. The rules changed, as they needed to.

Another aspect of Service battalions to note is that they were specifically to be categorised as Regulars, but serving under different Terms of Engagement, usually 3 years or the duration of the war. There was an Army Order to this effect. This [until the rules changed] could produce some strange anomalies, in that a regular of any rank outranked any Special Reserve man of the same rank, who in turn outranked his TF equivalent. Thus a corporal in a newly created S battalion outranked a long-serving corporal of the SR or TF. The rules changed, as they needed to.

Did these rules change before the service battalions went in to action or after (Somme 1916?).

• 7 years later...

I know I'm years late, but I've just come across this badge (Bigland's Birkenhead Bantams) on a forum called Petrolheads! The poster wanted help in identifying it. I'm trying to contact him, as I'd like to use the image in a biography I'm writing of my grandfather. 

BBB badge.png

He might even sell it to me.....!