Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William James Garlinge

amc

William died on the 17th July 1916,age 31 ,he was with 8th Bn The Buff's ( East Kent Regiment ) No G/5196.He is buried at the Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension ( Nord ).I think he died in the battle of Delville Wood,but i am not to sure ?.He also won the Military Medal,it was awarded on 16th November 1916,( from the London Gazette ).I would like to find out when and how he won this meda there is no date on his MIC.I have also found that his younger brother died on the 20th November 1917 age 22,No G/445, he was with the 6th Bn The Buff's.Cecil Frederick Garlinge.I welcome any help.

Regards

AMC

Hi AMC. I've had a look on Ancestry but can't find anything relating to the MM. On his MIC he first entered a theatre of war on 31st Aug 1915 and was awarded the trio of medals. It also states he was awards the MM but does not give any details. His MIC says he died of wounds 17/7/16. According to Ray Westlake's "Tracing British Battalions on the Somme" The 8th Service Batt East Kent Reg (the Buffs) did not arrive on the Somme until two months after he died. Dave

AMC

William's death was during the battle in Delville Wood.The date in Nov 1916 for the publication in the London Gazette was often three months after the award,which would make it a possible posthumous award. The Citations for the MM were lost in the 1940 bombing of records but sometimes they can be found in a unit/Brigade/Divisional War Diary.Not all units posted this news. The War Diary for 8 Buffs (72 Brigade of 24 Division)is at Kew under WO95/2257 (Aug 1915 to Jan 1918) and is digital so can be dowloaded from the NA Catalogue for 3.50.

Cecil seems to have been killed at the Battle of Cambrai with 6 Buffs of 37 Brigade of 12 Division. There is also a digital War Diary for that unit,WO95/1860 (Jun 1915 to Mar 1919).

Sotonmate

AMC

William's death was during the battle in Delville Wood.The date in Nov 1916 for the publication in the London Gazette was often three months after the award,which would make it a possible posthumous award. The Citations for the MM were lost in the 1940 bombing of records but sometimes they can be found in a unit/Brigade/Divisional War Diary.Not all units posted this news. The War Diary for 8 Buffs (72 Brigade of 24 Division)is at Kew under WO95/2257 (Aug 1915 to Jan 1918) and is digital so can be dowloaded from the NA Catalogue for 3.50.

Cecil seems to have been killed at the Battle of Cambrai with 6 Buffs of 37 Brigade of 12 Division. There is also a digital War Diary for that unit,WO95/1860 (Jun 1915 to Mar 1919).

Sotonmate

Many thanks i will check that out

Hi AMC

There are a number of pages of a service record for Cecil on Ancestry.

His parents are listed as John Albert and Annie of 2 Pond Cottages, Broomfield, Herne Bay.

Plus 2 brothers Herbert John age 31 serving on HMS Ursa Harwich, and Percy George age 28 serving overseas with 1/5 Queens RWS Regiment

This document was dated 6th June 19??, after Cecil had died.

Dental