Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brighton and Hove

MichaelBully

[/url]"A European grant of about £184,000 will help set up a major history project marking 100 years since the start of the First World War.

Brighton and Hove City Council has been awarded the money from the European Union’s Interreg IVA “2 Seas” programme for a cross-border project supporting culture and heritage.

The “ring-fenced” grant, which cannot be spent on anything else, will be used for a range of exhibitions, events and learning programmes in 2014 called Great War Between the Lines."

http://www.theargus....K_grant/?ref=la

It is not clear to me what "Great War Between the Lines" is intended to convey, but the exhibitions, events and programmes would be skewed if they did not include somewhere some account of those who opposed the war, as both ordinary citizens and conscientious objectors. The case of Royle (Roy) Richmond, who died in December 1916, comes very much to mind.

Hello MB, so far I only know what is published in the said article but I am interested in making further enquiries. My view is that the lives of the COs, the NCF-and any other Peace groups in the area- are a vital part of Great War studies. So the research I have done surrounding the Great War dead and their families connected with St. Andrews Church, Waterloo Street, Hove, also features what is known about Roy Banks, a CO who lived in Waterloo Street.

Trouble is what I can find out about Banks has run out.

What I might suggest is to see if the case of founder member of Brighton NCF & CO Percy Horton from Brighton Art College could be highlighted. There is quite a few a lot of information on the Horton family at Lewes archives. Regards, Michael Bully

It is not clear to me what "Great War Between the Lines" is intended to convey, but the exhibitions, events and programmes would be skewed if they did not include somewhere some account of those who opposed the war, as both ordinary citizens and conscientious objectors. The case of Royle (Roy) Richmond, who died in December 1916, comes very much to mind.

Might make quite an interesting study as his brother Harry fought, and they did keep some correspondence going during the Great War. According to Percy Horton's sister in law, Percy was one of the founding members of the local NCF. Yes will try to find out who -within the Local Authority -is actually co-ordinating the 'Between the Lines' initiative and approach them. Cheers MB.

Yes, Percy Horton is another good example of resistance to the war.

• 1 month later...

I wrote to my MP, Mike Weatherley (Hove) regarding further information about the 'Great War Between The Lines' project, and whether there would be consulation with the wider public

Mr. Weatherley forwarded my query to the 'Strategic Director Communities' , who responded, and their reply to the MP has been copied to me. The said reply re-iterated a great deal which was said already in 'The Evening Argus' but also asked for my contact details to respond directly.

I am trying to advocate some wider public forum being established which will include non-professional historians being able to offer their views. I have also been considering starting a local group of Great War enthusiasts with a particular emphasis on Brighton and Hove, to ensure that we get to have some input.

Regards

Michael Bully

• 1 month later...

Have had a reply from the Strategic Director Communities, who had said that they would forward my list of suggestions concerning the centenary to the head of the museum service in Brighton. No real further comment. My priority is still to get some sort of open meeting where all interested groups and individuals, professional and non-professional , can have some sort of input into the centenary events.

Another idea I have would be for a re-enactment of a Military Service Tribunal, based on local newspaper reports of the time, or any other source material which is available.

Hello MB, I would be very interested in seeing the original funding application that the Council submitted, as expect that this would reveal some sort of outline of their plans for the centenary. Regards, Michael Bully.

Thanks for this. Continue to keep us posted. It may be that they have not yet thought through the project themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

Have had a further reply from Brighton and Hove City Council. Seems that the 100th anniversary will involve a major exhibition and 'learning and event programmes'. Details to be decided. But latest letter is far more positive about interest from local residents, and promises to keep me informed as planning develops. So more encouraged by this response.