Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Cecil Patrick Riley T/3346: The Buffs (East Kent Regiment), 5th Bn

paulmartin77

Hello,

I'm trying to find out some more information on my Great Uncle, Pte Cecil Patrick Riley T/3346: The Buffs (East Kent Regiment), 5th Bn.

I have his death certificate, census records and one photograph.

I have also found his discharge papers from what I presume are the TA/Reserves? His serial number then was 1473 and he was in the Hert Yeomanry,

These say he was medically discharged but doesn't explain why. Is there any way of finding out as this would explain why he managed to join up again. It also gives his age on joining the TA/Reserves as 14. Is this not a bit young, I would have thought it would be 16 at least?

Just wondering if there are any other records to find information from,

Regards,

Paul

What is the date of his enlistment? It appears he entered for Boy service in the Territorials - possibly as a drummer or bugler. His number was more likely TF3346 (ie. Territorial Force), the 1/5 Bn Buffs being a Territorial unit. Later served in the Hertfordshire Yeomanry who saw service in Gallipoli.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Thanks Jonathan,

He is listed as joining up on 11 September 1914. His age is given as 14 although he was actually 16 at the time (very confusing). He did serve with the Herts first, as a bugler and is listed as being in the buffs when he was KIA.

Some details are here

Regards,

Paul

Soldiers Died says he also served in the Bedfordshire Regt:

"Formerly 22460, 4Th Battn., Bedford Regt."

Name:Cecil Patrick RileyBirth Place:Harlow, EssexResidence:Harlow, EssexDeath Date:13 May 1916Death Location:M.E.F.Enlistment Location:Bishop's Stortford, HertsRank:PrivateRegiment:Buffs (East Kent Regiment)Battalion:5th BattalionNumber:T/3346Type of Casualty:DiedTheatre of War:Asiatic TheatresComments:Formerly 22460, 4Th Battn., Bedford Regt.

Regards,

Jonathan S

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just received a picture of Cecil, which I presume was when he was in the Yeoman unit. As at the time it was printed on a post card which was sent to his mother. I think it is dated 1913, but is hard to see as the year on the postmark is printed on over the stamp. The files are too large to upload (about 300k each) do I have to reduce them or can I upload them another way?

Regards,

Paul