Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Airfields

Col Gibbon

No detailed map of WWI flying sites has been published as yet. It's on the agenda to round off the CCI Gazetteer with a set, but I'm still thinking about how to produce them; whether to draw from new or use the 1/4 inch WWI flying maps and superimpose the locations, in the way that aircrew had to.

There is a map in the NA, AIR1/2107/26131, which shows locations as at November 1918 but, of course, this doesn't include the large number of sites, particularly NLGs, which had closed by then.

• 1 month later...

No detailed map of WWI flying sites has been published as yet. It's on the agenda to round off the CCI Gazetteer with a set, but I'm still thinking about how to produce them; whether to draw from new or use the 1/4 inch WWI flying maps and superimpose the locations, in the way that aircrew had to.

There is a map in the NA, AIR1/2107/26131, which shows locations as at November 1918 but, of course, this doesn't include the large number of sites, particularly NLGs, which had closed by then.

Mick,

...i'd be very interested in one of these! The 1/4 inch map one seems perfect. Would this include all sites within the UK such as RNAS seaplane stations, ballon stations, etc?

tim