Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge Identification help please

aardvark

post-29926-0-34358700-1323092196.jpg

This is a photo of my friends grandfather Samson Chamberlain born 1874 Stratford, Essex. I am wondering if anyone can identify this cap badge and what appears to be a band of braiding around his left shoulder.

Any help appreciated many thanks.

Glenda

Essex Regiment looks a good starter to me.

The brading is a lanyward of some sort, I suspect.

Pte Samson Chamberlain 5801 Essex Regiment + 5507& 241978 border Regiment.

Gary.

Thanks for your replies so far. The Samson Chamberlain mentioned above is however the son of my Samson Chamberlain and was 23 when he died.

My Samson would have been 40 at the outbreak of WW1 so am guessing he was maybe in the Boer War rather than WW1.

Knowing nothing about the army I am guessing it would be feasible that his son went into the same regiment as his father.

Glenda

There have been many posts about lanyards and their significance; if you use the search facility you will need time to read all the theories and some substance.

D

My Samson would have been 40 at the outbreak of WW1 so am guessing he was maybe in the Boer War rather than WW1.

Two issues counting against the soldier in this picture, perhaps:

1. This uniform came into service well after the Boer War

2. He wears no ribbons at all, let alone any which would have indicated service in South Africa.

And the chap in the picture is no spring chicken.

Hello Glenda,

He is wearing the 'simplified' jacket of the 1902 pattern Service Dress, with no pleats on the chest pockets, and the stiffened version of the SD cap, which together tend to indicate a likely date for the photo of late 1914 through to the summer of 1915. Although the jacket could also be seen later in the war, especially through 1916, it would be less common to see the stiffened cap worn with it after 1916.

The cap badge is Essex Regiment.

post-599-0-90121100-1323104745.jpg

post-599-0-53809700-1323104930.gif

Hello Glenda,

He is wearing the 'simplified' jacket of the 1902 pattern Service Dress, with no pleats on the chest pockets, and the stiffened version of the SD cap, which together tends to indicate a likely date for the photo of late 1914 through to the summer of 1915. Although the jacket could also be seen later in the war, especially through 1916, it would be less common to see the stiffened cap worn with it after 1916.

The cap badge is Essex Regiment.

Thank you all again for your help with identification. So it would appear Samson was obviously in the Army during WW1 even at the age of 40.

Glenda

Thank you all again for your help with identification. So it would appear Samson was obviously in the Army during WW1 even at the age of 40.

Glenda

Yes Glenda, and that was not at all unusual.

Looking at the first man up of the same name, he was a youngster!

Name:Samuel Chamberlain

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1869

Age at enlistment: 46

Document Year: 1915

Regimental Number: 117212

Regiment Name: Royal Engineers

Unfortunately can't see any surviving papers for your man.