Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battery Royal Field Artillery

Fras54

Hello

I am looking for Frederick Delaney {Reg No 217072] who I know joined the Army as a gunner, initially with 2nd Battery RFA. I cannot find his unit anywhere in the UK in 1911 so I suspect he was posted overseas. Does anyone have a clue please?

Ta muchly

Fras54

F54

Early 1914 2 Battery was in Southern India as part of XIII Brigade RFA attached to 2 Secunderabad Infantry Brigade of 9 Secunderbad Division of the Indian Army. Can't say when the unit arrived there but likely to have been part of the furniture for a few years. Don't think they brought home a unit and sent out another as regularly as the modern Army did,the unit probably stayed and was re-supplied with soldiers as required.

Sotonmate

F54

On 16 Aug 1914 he landed in France with 39 Brigade RFA as part of 1 Division. I have some papers on this move,unfortunately not for 39 Bde,the other Artillery Brigades I do have notes for, shipped for this Division, were all at Deepcut Barracks at Mobilisation on 4 Aug 1914.

The Long Long Trail gives 2 Battery as being attached to 7 Meerut Division in 1914 for the war in F&F.

Sotonmate

Delaney 47072 seems likely to have enlisted in 1907, and probably on a 6 year enlistment with 6 years in the reserve (common at that time) - so - unless you know otherwise, would probably have been a mobilised reservist in 1914, hence landing up in another Brigade. 2nd Battery were indeed in India on 1911, at Kirkee, moving to Bangalore (where they were for the 1911 census).

DELANEY, FREDERICK SINGLE 23 Born ISLINGTON LONDON DRIVER 2ND BATTERY R F A

Thank you. Yes. Yes. He was awarded the 1914 Star so I think he was a driver with 39 Battery for the remainder of the action.

Thanks again

Fras54