Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

"I Vow to Thee My Country" full three verse version

MilenaK

PolAm Scouter

I was researching this hymn just now too. This performance only uses first verse. It is a Tribute to the Sullivan Brothers (WW II). There are 2 lines after the first verse, I cannot make out words, "(...)striving to be the best that I can be"? The story of the Sullivan Brothers starts with first verse of "I vow to thee my country", then another great patriotic song/s. "I vow to thee my Country" is perfect here, wish they used all 3 verses. I thought I will share this.

US Navy Band Chanters:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_vQmKNaQSk

Ron Clifton

I hope that seaJane will not minding me offering a small correction to her version of verse 2 of the National Anthem. The last line should be "God save us all" to rhyme with "fall".

As others have said, I only knew two verses to "I vow to thee", and having read the middle verse I think that it is better omitted, not for reasons of heresy but because its imagery is outdated for a general hymn.

One of my least favoured hymns from that period is "O valiant hearts", which some WFA members insisted should always be sung at our Armistice Day service. It has seven verses and I once consulted one of our own clergy (herself no mean poet) which verses we might omit in order to shorten it. We both concluded that, as the verses naturally ran on from one another, it was not really appropriate to omit any of them.

Ron

3 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

will not mind

Not at all; thank you!

3 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

One of my least favoured hymns from that period is "O valiant hearts",

I'm with you there! The tune is wonderful, but the words (to me) are patronising salvation-and-water stuff that can only have been written by someone who wasn't there (I will now probably find out that he was!).

• Admin
2 hours ago, seaJane said:

I'm with you there! The tune is wonderful, but the words (to me) are patronising salvation-and-water stuff that can only have been written by someone who wasn't there (I will now probably find out that he was!).

Nope!

https://archive.org/details/supremesacrskef00arkw/mode/2up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Arkwright_(politician)

Just to set your mind at rest.

1 hour ago, kenf48 said:

Thank you! The poetry is definitely Kiplingesque, minus the teeth. Oddly enough I've been to his former home, Kinsham Court, and had tea with a grand old lady who I think must have been his last descendant. That was getting on for 15 years ago or more.

sJ

sueburden

It was our "school song" but only the first and third verses. Sixty years ago !!

Sue