Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

?RFC RAF chap

Seany

This chap captured sitting at the back of a photo of 293 siege battery in Italy, I think after armistice, there was obviously a link between a battery and air crews acting as observers but why is he in the battery photo and what rank is he?

thank you kindly

post-55662-0-94721200-1323021155.jpg

I agree with both posts above, as it was common practice for an air mechanic from the associated army corps squadron (in your case 34 squadron) to be attached to the battery and spend most of his time with the battery, in the role of wireless operator, but continuing to wear RFC/RAF uniform. His prime purpose would be to pick up the wireless signals sent down from the RE8 aircraft working with the battery on a particular 'shoot' so that the aim of the guns could be corrected as necessary in order for them to destroy the designated target. The wireless operator would have received his training with the squadron and would continue to laise with the wireless personnel within the squadron during his time with the battery. The wireless operator's life was also a pretty dangerous one, as his dugout was usually sited close to the guns so that he could easily pass on the corrections to the gun aimer. His compatriots back at the squadron were further away from the action.

Steve

Thanks all -

Steve, having returned safely from the wonderful weather of northern Scotlan I'll email you a bit later.

best regards all.

Sean

I agree with both posts above, as it was common practice for an air mechanic from the associated army corps squadron (in your case 34 squadron) to be attached to the battery and spend most of his time with the battery, in the role of wireless operator, but continuing to wear RFC/RAF uniform. His prime purpose would be to pick up the wireless signals sent down from the RE8 aircraft working with the battery on a particular 'shoot' so that the aim of the guns could be corrected as necessary in order for them to destroy the designated target. The wireless operator would have received his training with the squadron and would continue to laise with the wireless personnel within the squadron during his time with the battery. The wireless operator's life was also a pretty dangerous one, as his dugout was usually sited close to the guns so that he could easily pass on the corrections to the gun aimer. His compatriots back at the squadron were further away from the action.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Seany,

I have a war diary for a Siege Bty that gives an account of two airmen from the RFC attached who were awarded the MC. for digging out some gunners whilst under shell fire.

Tony P