Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naming of BWM & VM

PhilB

In a recent thread, it seemed to be agreed that the naming of the BWM and VM at the same time, using the same tool, made good sense. I`ve been looking at some of my pairs and I`ve come to the conclusion that they were not generally done together, as too many show minor but distinct differences. Would any members care to have a look at theirs and confirm or otherwise? Phil B

post-23-1090854670.jpg

The naming in large, upright, feintly impressed capitals (I have only seem them on the BWM) often indicate that the naming (and presume also minting, which can be checked since, apparently, such BWMs are marginally larger) was done in India at the Calcutta Mint. There is a thread on this as you pointed out, and an earlier one which you might not recall but can access it via words 'Calcutta Mint'.

Richard

But it still means they were impressed separately? Surely not one in India and one in UK?

I`ve had a look at the previous string, Dick, thanks. The man whose medals are shown above didn`t serve in India. (He was an Accrington Pal). I may have chosen a bad example. The majority of the pairs show minor differences, though most are not in the "Indian" style as above. Phil B

The fact he didnt serve in India would not necessarily mean his medal{s} weren't named there,you must remember India was British then & business there would have had UK Government Contracts to do this work @ a price,you must also remember that Millions of Medals had to be named,so it stands to reason that even in the UK,different people would be naming different Medals on seperate Machines,rather than "Dib Fredner" Sitting @ his Machine naming Private Ryan's trio,Then Fred Karno's Pair etc;

I feel you will find if handling any quantity of WW1 Medal Pairs,that the naming more often than not varies,with @ least 3 or 4 different Font styles of Capitals.

So the conclusion is, gents:-

BWM and VM named separately and possibly on different continents?

What a nightmare matching up millions of pairs and trios from such varying sources. That being the case, it`s surprising we don`t see more differences, particularly in spelling, between medals. Phil B

The Mints,Records Offices & Post Offices,All working @ their best;

Civil Service Officialdom @ its finest!!! Everything in triplicate no doubt!!! a masterpiece of logistics by any standards :rolleyes: