Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3 Australian General Hospital, Lemnos - Then and Now

b3rn

An amazing set of photographs. I'm thinking of visiting the islands on my next trip to Gallipoli. Any suggestions for time to allow? Any island you'd not visit again?

Again, thanks for the work. Fascinating.

Chris

Thanks Chris. We went only to Lemnos so can't offer a view on Imbros or Samothrace. A couple of days even three would be good for WWI locations although a day could suffice if pushed for time. The two cemeteries, Moudhros town for dinner at sunset by the port, Nea Koutali (Sarpi) for lunch and a view to Turks Head peninsula, a ramble over the peninsula if you feel game, the museum at Portiano, the windmills at Kontias, a drive from Kastro (Myrina) to the spa then up the neighbouring mountain for good views of Mudros harbour... but there's also some modest ancient ruins, the salt pan, promises of bird life (we saw two flamingos) and drives on unsealed tracks to the north and west, so you easily occupy a few more days or add some variety. Take some prints of the photos along, it makes it much more interesting as there are few physical remains but the locations are immediately identifiable. Would like to look around East Mudros one day and find the French camp. Also there's a great photo of all the shipping in the harbour taken from a point high above Mudros, be a good spot to look for.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the best method of visiting Lemnos, either from Gallipoli or direct from the UK.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you

Peter

• 5 weeks later...

Wonderful images.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to have missed these images when they were first uploaded.

Absolutely first class effort.

David

• 2 months later...

Great work, I have done one at Quinn's Post and I know how long it takes to find the exact spot. I will be sharing mine on another post. Thanks for sharing!