Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

GrahamC

Hi guys

I'm looking for help for two SF men who transferred to other Regiments, before giving their lives. Both are commemorated on my local Memorial.

:poppy: Pt Alfred CHANTR(E)Y died of wounds 2 April 1915 whilst serving with 2 Bn. Canadian Infantry. However, his CWGC record indicates he originally enlisted as 14/41226 in the Sherwood Foresters. The SDGW says he enlisted at Lincoln, near to where he was living at the time although he was born in Buxton where his dad has a grocer's shop.

I am trying to build a biography for him - any ideas from his service number when he enlisted and which Bn. or how and when he might have transferred to the Canadian Inf.? He is commemorated on The Menin Gate Memorial.

:poppy:Pt Sidney CLAYTON died of wounds on 29 September 1918 whilst serving with 'A' Coy, 4 Bn. North Staffordshire Regiment. Sidney enlisted in the Sherwood Foresters at Bakewell, Derbyshire, on the 4th July 1917. Despite his Service papers having survived they are frustratingly lacking in detail. They appear to suggest that he joined the "246th Territorial Reserve Battalion"

As with Alfred above I am hoping someone can help me to build Sidney's biography – when he transferred etc. and the conditions surrounding his death.

Despite both having 'Died of Wounds', neither has a known grave. Alfred is commemorated on The Menin Gate Memorial and Sidney on Tyne Cott.

Thanks for looking

Graham

I have a little but not much info on Alfred Chantry, he served with the 1st Btn N&D also Army Service Corps with number T4/306391 and Kings Royal Rifle Corps number A/202970.

Bronno.

Clayton

51st (Graduated) Battalion -

On 27/10/1917 the 246th Graduated Bn (formerly new 15th Training Reserve Bn) at Thoresby in 208th Brigade, 69th Division became 51st Bn. Is it possible that the 246th Territorial Reserve and the 246th Graduated bn are one and the same. He may have gone to France and ended up with the North Staffs immedietely and never served with a front line N&D Battalion

Chantry -

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/collections/virtualmem/Detail/922779 22 April 1915 - not 2nd. 2nd Battle of Ypres - 2nd Bn (Eastern Ontario) Battalion, !st Infantry brigade, 1st C Infantry Div.

The 2nd Bn moved into the line on 23rd! - South of Kitcheners Wood. Presume he was gassed or wounded on way to front line.

Steve M

Hi guys

I'm looking for help for two SF men who transferred to other Regiments, before giving their lives. Both are commemorated on my local Memorial.

:poppy: Pt Alfred CHANTR(E)Y died of wounds 2 April 1915 whilst serving with 2 Bn. Canadian Infantry. However, his CWGC record indicates he originally enlisted as 14/41226 in the Sherwood Foresters. The SDGW says he enlisted at Lincoln, near to where he was living at the time although he was born in Buxton where his dad has a grocer's shop.

I am trying to build a biography for him - any ideas from his service number when he enlisted and which Bn. or how and when he might have transferred to the Canadian Inf.? He is commemorated on The Menin Gate Memorial.

:poppy:Pt Sidney CLAYTON died of wounds on 29 September 1918 whilst serving with 'A' Coy, 4 Bn. North Staffordshire Regiment. Sidney enlisted in the Sherwood Foresters at Bakewell, Derbyshire, on the 4th July 1917. Despite his Service papers having survived they are frustratingly lacking in detail. They appear to suggest that he joined the "246th Territorial Reserve Battalion"

As with Alfred above I am hoping someone can help me to build Sidney's biography – when he transferred etc. and the conditions surrounding his death.

Despite both having 'Died of Wounds', neither has a known grave. Alfred is commemorated on The Menin Gate Memorial and Sidney on Tyne Cott.

Thanks for looking

Graham