Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA to RE!

cresser

Hi All,

I realise that this is not strictly the Great War, but it does relate to it. I have two photo`s of my Grandfather, Arthur Cresswell, b1889 in Loxley Warwickshire, in uniform of the Royal Engineers, one in the 1st Riding Squad, 1917, the other in the 1st Footdrill Squad, not dated but both in Aldershot. I have since found that, in the 1911 UK Census enumeration book for Military Establishments, Arthur is recorded as, `Gunner aged 21, and his unit being `No 2 Depot Royal Garrison Artillery`, and the address was, Fort Rowner, (I think it says), Military Road, Alverstoke, Gosport. I would like to find out if I can, what sort of unit was No 2 depot RGA, and how, or why, did he transfer - or was transferred - to the Royal Engineers?. I cannot find any service records, or indeed, a MIC. Any help or advice greatly appreciated as I would like to find out as much as possible about my G/F, Cheers, cresser.

cresser,

My Grandfather was a Gunner for two years, 1914-1916, before being injured manning the siege guns and was transferred into the Engineers for the duration of the war. Perhaps your Grandfather had a similar experience.

tyrim

Hello cresser

Up to 1914 the RGA had four depots, numbered 1 to 4. They conducted recruit training and postings for all RGA units worldwide. During the war they, and other newly formed depots, raised the many new RGA Batteries (mainly Siege) which were needed, especially on the Western Front.

A transfer from RGA to RE suggests that he might have been a signaller. The artillery had their own signallers but more complex signals arrangements, including the use of wireless, were the preserve of the RE Signal Service, which became the separate Royal Corps of Signals after the war.

Ron

I'd agree that being a signaller is one likely route for s transfer. The other possibility is that he was involved in survey work. Really accurate artillery work requires not only knowing where the thing you're shooting at is, but also exactly where you're shooting from! I have a man who joined the RFA in late 1915, in October 1916 he was attached to 3rd Field Survey Company (an RE unit), and formally transferred on 7 April 1917, from which time he also received proficiency pay as a "Survey Post Observer"

He might also have been transferred to the RE Special Brigade in 1916, along with another thousand or so of his gunner comrades but I cannot find any evidence to support that assertion. Therein lies the problem of course, there is no official evidence for anything at the moment. Taking the evidence from the postcards at face value, we know that he was in Aldershot with the RE in 1917, and was involved in riding. That would strongly suggest the RE Horse Transport Depot at Gibraltar barracks - Browning Barracks now stands on the site. If he had been a transferred signaller, the likelihood is that he would have gone to the Signal Service Training Depot in Bedfordshire and if he required equitation training, that would have been provided by the Signal service itself who had their own facilities for this. Again however, I can't prove this.

TR

Wow!

Many,many thanks to you all for taking the time and trouble to help with your replies, there are some fascinating possibilities there and hopefully, one or two of them I may be able to confirm. Why oh why, couldn`t the Luftwaffe have gone a bit over to the left in the 2nd lot !! - then the service records could have been saved - I suppose someone else would have copped it then though. Thankyou all again, it is appreciated, cresser.:thumbsup: