Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Patch Memorial

sajackr

Thanks - we go to Wells often, so I'll keep my eyes open.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that news item. I very often pass though Wells, so will have to stop and look for it, when it is due to be completed.

Regards, Keith

I'm sure Alan Curragh will keep us posted.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Never been there, but now I definitly will, once the memorial is done

I read Harry Patch's book over and over. It's the most sincere and humble account of a soldier!!

RIP, Harry

Never been there, but now I definitly will, once the memorial is done

I read Harry Patch's book over and over. It's the most sincere and humble account of a soldier!!

RIP, Harry

It's funny how different books appeal to different people. I read and enjoyed the book (particularly as I lived for some years as a child near the Combe Down area of Bath) but it is not top of my list for a re-read.

Roger

Roger,

It's not really on top of my re-reading list per se. I just always enjoyed bringing memories of attacks from ancient combattants in the courses I gave, be it in the class room for an academic course, or on the field in tactics. Especially when some students would complain about going out in bad weather, reading an account full of Passchendaele mud can do miracles!!

And somehow, Patch's memoires holds a lot of interesting aspects for those courses.

M.

• 1 month later...

I watched the documentary on the writing of "the last fighting tommy" and have also read the finished book, I found it extremely intresting, and found it amazing that Harry had such clarity of thought. My Father died last year at the age of 84 he took part in the landings on D-Day and was the third man ashore of his regiment, but his last three years were a real struggle wih terrible memory loss and deep confusion. I encouraged my late father to write his memories of his time during the war prior to his memory loss and I am so glad that I did, as his notes are now incorporated in our family history for his Grandchildren and great granchildren.

It is truely amazing that "the last fighting tommy" is so well remembered and is a true window on a time in history that hopefully will never be repeated.

R.I.P. Harry

Before I open my bag of worms let me say I am the proud owner of the last fighting Tommy book signed by Harry patch Henry alligham and Richard van Emden, I bid on e bay and won the first copy and am proud to say I helped pay for lifeboat Harry and Doris.

I found as time went on Harry seemed to forget that he was conscripted openly admited he didnt want to go to war and fight for his king and country, he was in the army for a short time, he did fight at langermark, he never made that up, I have been and seen his privately paid for memorial to try and imagine how any one under fire could cross the Steinbeck.

in ww2 he bravely saw duty in the fire service.

But when I hear him on documentaries saying war is nothing but legalised murder of course he is right but what was the alternative, if you try and talk to a fanatic who will not listen what do you do?when he says he shot the german who jumped into his trench in the leg as he couldnt kill him,in the next breath he says that after he was wounded and his friends were killed if he saw another german he would have killed him,bit of a change of heart

I am in not way demeaning Harrys memory, and when in the area will go and pay my respects to an old soldier one among many

I`ll get me coat :poppy:

Thanks for the link sajackr.

I too really liked 'Last Fighting Tommy'. I bought it as a 'Great War' book of course but actually found the pre war accounts of his life in Bath more interesting.

Neil

Thanks for the link sajackr.

I too really liked 'Last Fighting Tommy'. I bought it as a 'Great War' book of course but actually found the pre war accounts of his life in Bath more interesting.

Neil

I have had " Last Fighting Tommy " for some time, but have not yet read it. All my ancesters came from Bath so I am very interested in Bath history, especialy when it combines with the Great War. Having just read your comments about his pre-war accounts of his life in Bath, I intend to start reading it today. { After a first visit to the Freshford war memorial in a couple of hours]

Keith

{ After a first visit to the Freshford war memorial in a couple of hours]

Keith

And a pint at "The Inn" ? :lol:

Roger