Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

154th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery

hen190782

Hi

A relative of Gunner (4461) Patrick Murphy recently donated with Great War medals to the Somme Heritage Centre (Conlig, County Down) and the staff at the centre would be keen to know more about he unit in which he served.

Although I am not sure how much detail they want, would there be a potted history of the engagements in which 154th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery, was involved?

I already have access to Gunner Murphy's military service records via Ancestry.

Thanks,

Nigel

Nigel

Unit went to France Aug 1916. The only War Diary found in the NA Catalogue at the moment is that for the period Apr 1917 to Jan 1918,in WO95/321. It is not yet digital.There were various jiggling arounds of these units so you must hope for someone like ORORKEP here to enlighten you upon what it was called at other times,viz the Heavy Artillery Group system (HAG).

Sotonmate

Here two lads from it

MEARA, PATRICK. Rank: Gunner. Regiment or Service: Royal Garrison Artillery. Unit: 154th Siege Battery. Date of Death: 23-June-1919. Service No: 3153. This man is not in Soldiers Died in the Great War database. Died in the War Hospital, Belfast. Born in Rosservarn, Callan, County Kilkenny. Supplementary information: Son of James and Mary Meara, of Kilmoganny, Co. Kilkenny. Grave or Memorial Reference: Screen Wall. NE. 26. Cemetery: Belfast (Milltown) Roman Catholic Cemetery.

DONNELLY, WILLIAM. Rank: Gunner. Regiment or Service: Royal Garrison Artillery. Unit: 154th Siege Bty. Age at death; 36. Date of Death:20-April-1917. Service Number; 70431. Supplementary Information; Son of Thomas and Mary Donnelly, of Coolbanagher, Emo, Portarlington, Queen's Co. In his Will, dated 10-Januray-1917, his effects and property were received by;- (Mother) Mrs M Donnelly, 92 Hardcourt St, Dublin, Ireland. Grave or Memorial Reference: XIX. D. 11. Cemetery: Etaples Military Cemetery in France.

Went out to France 30th August 1916 armed with 4x 9.2" Howitzers, made up to 6 guns August/September 1917. Joioned 15th HAG 3/9/16 to 12 HAG 3/10/16 to 56th HAG 8/1/17 to 17th HAG 18/2/17 to 32nd HAG 4/3/17 to 17th HAG 21/3/17 to 12th HAG 24/3 17 (personel joined from 398th Siege Bty 6/8/17) to 86th HAG 4/9/17 to 43rd HAG 22/12/17 (to rest etc with 43rd HAG 23/12/17 to 9/1/18) no susequent change.

Jon

Nigel: You need to find a copy of A History of 154 Siege Battery, RGA France 1916-19 by M. C. Walker; Printed by John T. Drought, Dublin, 1919, 84pp. If you can't find a copy, let me know and I will try to summarize the batteries history for you.

Regards, Dick Flory

Nigel: I had seen it before but forgot about it when I answered your post. Thanks for reminding me. Regards, Dick

Dick

Did you get the email with the BET article entitle "Ulsterman Officer with Imperial Russian Artillery"?

Nigel

Nigel: I did get the BET article and apologize for not replying sooner, but I have been somewhat busy with editing two journals that both came due at essentially the same time. Regards, Dick Flory