Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
mandy hall

War Diary 36th Trench Mortar Battery

mandy hall

Using Bernard's fantastic piece of work listing all the war diaries available to download from the National Archives, I have now found and downloaded their diary for July 1915 - Aug 1916. I am now looking for the reference for the rest of the war diary. I have never manged to master searching the National Archives catalogue. I am aware it will probably involve a trip to Kew to view it.

Mandy

Thanks Bernard for all your hard work.

jay dubaya

October - November 1915 WO95/2503

July - August 1916 WO95/2503

August 1916 - February 1919 WO95/2496

July 1915 - July/August 1916 can also be found attatched to the 12th Division, 36th Infantry Brigade in WO95/1857

Mandy, if this is the one you have downloaded, could I be cheeky :whistle: and ask for a copy of the 36th MGC also attatched to the above.

cheers, Jon

mandy hall

Hi Jon

Thanks very much for the references. PM me an email address and I will send it on to you.

mandy

jainvince

Jon

Noticed your links to War Diaries on WO 95/2496 and WO 95/2503. Are these two downloadable, please?

Bernard

jay dubaya

Bernard,

alas these diaries are yet to be digitized and as to when that will happen who know's, it'a a trip to the NA to view them or put out a request and see if any kind forum member with their new camera is visiting Kew in the near future... ;)

Jon

mandy hall

I will be going in January to photograph these diaries, that Jon so kindly found the references for. If you want a copy let me know?

Mandy

Pat K

Hi Mandy

Assuming you managed to photograph them, I would be most grateful if you could you advise if there is any mention in the diary of Captain Robert Percy Nathan 36th TM Battery who died of wounds 22nd March 1918.

Kind regards

Pat

mandy hall

This year is the 100th anniversary of my great uncle’s death and I intend to be at his graveside and where he was gassed in May.  I did go to Kew and photograph a War Diary (stupid me I didn’t photograph the yellow reference slip), but looking at the references in post 2, I now think these are the wrong diaries.  The first 3 references are for the 36th Division, Trench Mortar Batteries.  I think, I probably photographed WO95/2496/7.

I am looking for the War Diaries for the 36th Trench Mortar Battery, 12th Division.  If anyone can provide references or ancestry link I would be very grateful.  I still haven’t mastered the National Archives catalogue.

Mandy

Ron Clifton

Hello Mandy

It is a peculiarity of the index to WO95 that the numbers of certain units are not included in the listings. I think that these are the diaries you want:

WO 95/1857 36 Infantry Brigade   
WO 95/1857 8 Battalion Royal Fusiliers 1915 June - 1918 Feb.  
WO 95/1857 9 Battalion Royal Fusiliers 1915 June - 1919 June  
WO 95/1857 Brigade Machine Gun Company 1916 Feb. - 1918 Feb.  
WO 95/1857 Brigade Trench Mortar Battery 1915 July  
WO 95/1857 Brigade Trench Mortar Battery 1916 July - Aug.  

12 DIVISION
WO 95/1839 Divisional Troops   
WO 95/1839 Divisional Trench Mortar Batteries 1915 June - 1919 Jan. 

Ron

mandy hall

Thank you for your quick response Ron, will now start downloading some diaries.

Mandy