Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th Nott's and Derby Regiment (Welbeck Rangers)

wet255

Just picked up an MM to Private 76392 Pte. Frederick F Henty MM 17th Nottingham and Derby Regiment (Welbeck Regiment). I would like to have any information on the Battalion. I know they went to France in March 1916 disbanded Feb 1918 (Why?). Was there a book on the Regiment ? How many MMs did they win? Anything would be good thanks.

Disbanded due to the reorganisation of Brigades down to a 3 battalion format rather than the old 4 battalions, owing to the manpower shortage. Don't think a battalion history was ever written.

Richard

Accoprding to the Battalion War Diary 70392 Pte FF Henty was awarded the MM for gallantry and devotion to duty on the 31st July 1917. This was when the battalion attacked in the Hill Top Sector to cature the 'Kitchener System' and secure the crossings of the Steenbeek near Ypres.

2 Officers killed, 5 wounded and 2 wounded at duty.

42 ORs killed, 4 died of wounds, 208 wounded, 12 missing, 8 gassed, 1 shell shock and 3 wounded at duty.

MM entry in the London Gazette 2/11/17.

By the way they were the Welbeck Rangers not Regiment.

Richard

The war diary for the 17th N and D is very good. I have a MM and pair to Sgt Wilfred Brown won 3/9/16 on the Somme.

Worth trying to get access to the diary as it will tell you alot.

The 17th as stated were disbanded when the Army went from 4 battalions per brigade to three. Junior battalions were usually those who were disbanded and had nothing to do with reputation.

Nice MM BTW.

Regards

TT

Thanks to all and of course it was the Welbeck Rangers sorry for that. Can anyone tell me how I can find out when my man left the AOC and join the Nott's and Derby Regiment? Would be handy to know when tracing is activity within the Regiment. Thanks in advance for any help. Nigel

M.M.'s to the 17th Btn.

73094 Cpl. Duncan. Q.G.

18157 Pte. Jenkinson. S.

20122 Pte. Elston. G.

18441 Pte. Butler. J.S.

70357 Pte. Porter. F.A.

20946 Cpl. Dickenson. H.

27165 L.Cpl. Berry. W.

51284 Pte. Bullock. W.

21372 Pte. Hearson. H.

45580 Cpl. Smith. F.H.

20964 Sgt. Lowbridge. H.

32566 Pte. Whale. F.

47275 Pte. Allwood. J.

28203 L.Cpl. Boyden. W.

51668 Pte. Markham. F.

76392 Pte. Henty. F.F.

31679 Pte. Wharton. W.

32117 Pte. Adams. H.

72031 Pte. Steele. H.

28096 Pte. Thomas. R.

3857 Pte. Bowler. J.

35658 Pte. Brennen. H.

60674 L/Cpl. Turner. W.

15513 Pte. Britton. W.

71587 Pte. Rudd. J.H.

24744 Pte. Edwards. T.

5171 Pte. Swales. J.W. (MM and bar)

Hi Nigel,

I have just had a quick count of 17th Bn MMs in "The Sherwood Foresters Gallantry Awards" by Cliff Housley and I have counted 44 MMs to the battalion. In this book quite a lot of men are listed who were awarded the MM according to the London Gazette, but who Cliff did not know the battalion in which they served. So it follows that in all probability there are actually more than the 44 that I have quoted. In fact there are a couple in the 44 who I know were 17th Bn from newspaper articles etc but who aren't credited as 17th Bn in the book.

There are certainly others who are mentioned in the War Diary that aren't listed in the above reply, eg Teer and Mayfield plus there are others who were later killed with other battalions eg 13737 Pte H Neail who was KIA with the 16th Bn.

You need to keep digging,

Richard

Addendum to Gallantry awards. Just to point out that Cliff has done an amendment with further additions to the Foresters Gallantry book and more 17th Btn men have been entered. He has also found quite a few gallantry winners including MM's with additional interesting citations.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for that I will give him a ring and get the updates. I am not surprised as I sent him quite a lot of information as I was going through old papers of the time after he had published,

Richard

• 1 month later...

Hi, how might I get hold of a copy of the 17ths war diary - Im esp. interested in the actions at Passchendaele. (My GF was Lt Act/Capt W. Pritchett) Be v grateful for any help.

• 7 years later...

Hello all I have inherited a few medals after my mum in law passed. I have 2 for PTE H.W.Limb 2 numbers on the boxes (48605) and (1035) both have notts and Derby R on the box one has a soldier on Horse back (round and dates 1914- 1918 and is silver the other is a bronze /gold effect with the great war for civilisation and the dates. where could I find out more about PTE Limb any help is appreciated.

Welcome

Find my past gives this reference-you will need a subscription to get any further

First name(s)Henry W

Last name Limb

Year1914-20

Service number48605, 16477

Second service number 16477

Rank Private, Private

Second rank Private

Regiment Nottinghamshire And Derbyshire Regiment, Labour Corps

Second corps Labour Corps

Service record Soldier Number: 48605, Rank: Private, Corps: Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment

Second service record Soldier Number: 16477, Rank: Private, Corps: Labour Corps

Checking on Ancestry

George

1035 refers to the Victory medal

The other one is the British War Medal

48605 is his N&D Service Number

16477 is his Labour Corps number

and his Medal Card can be seen-with subscription at

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/1262/30850_A000958-00637?pid=3210272&backurl=https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv%3D1%26dbid%3D1262%26h%3D3210272%26tid%3D%26pid%3D%26usePUB%3Dtrue%26_phsrc%3DYiy17071%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Yiy17071&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

I believe Ancestry is free this weekend

George

Edited by George Rayner