Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

was this usual

dozza161

I am having great difficulty in both reading and working out my gr uncles war record and medal card.

Thomas Clark Dobson RGA 51981, 130 HB I think but it was the 24 something before that, omg hope this makes sense .

he was a corporal. Born in bedlington Northumberland 1893 but his sign-up papers are in great Yarmouth why?

His casualty form states he was admitted to hospital where?

Also his medal card has lots of numbers and brackets what do these mean?

I found amongst the papers a letter to his local councl chairman to present his medal was this usual?

It's so confusing I hope someone can help

Doreen

P.S I didnt' have this problem with my gr grandfathers war records they were burnt. blush.gif

Doreen,

Quote: "Was this usual".

Yes. A MM recipient had the option of having it presented by a dignitary and ceremony or just having it delivered when not in the field. Cpl Dobson was awarded the MM for gallantry and devotion to duty on the 16.7.1918. It however applies to a much earlier incident. For assisting with dressing the wounded of their No 2 gun emplacement after it received a direct hit; a 15 cm How shell burst knocking out the whole detachment save the No1 on March 21st 1918 at Hinacourt.

Ignore the card gobble gook its just internal speak and of no importance referring to the fact his B&V medals were returned in 1923 under Kings Regulations 1743. The important part says RGA/ 122B 2146. which is the reference to Medal Roll 122B held at Kew under their internal reference WO339 267 that confirms on page 2146 he was an original member of 130 Hvy Bty (whose forerunner was 24 N Hvy Bty and was redesignated 130 HB in May 1915).

Rgds

Paul (always confused)

Thank you sooooooo much Paul,

that explains a lot of other stuff on his promotions record as he was promoted in the field 21 mar 1918 but then reverted to gnr duties on 8 apr 1918.

It was as I had suspected that his corporal had died or been wounded so he took his place.

He was originally in Alexandria do you know what or where (battle) he was in? I do know he was shipped to France on board SS Caledonia.

Sorry for more questions but how do I find out about how he got his award as you seem to have details of them? I'm not very computer literate or savvy about how to search documents on NA site I'm easily confused:(

I will however search for more info on Hinacourt.

Thank you again Paul for the info so far.

Doreen

• Admin

so good you posted twice wasn't sure which thread to respond tounsure.gif

A casual labourer he was attested on the 9th November 1914 at Stockport. On medical examination he was in the highest category - A1 and was sent to 4 RGA Depot at Ripon for kitting out etc. After a couple of weeks he was posted to 24 Hvy Baty joining them at Great Yarmouth on 24th November 1914, this then became 130 Heavy Battery.

On the 7th February 1916 he left Southampton on the H.S. [Hospital Ship] 'Knight Templar' to join the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force (MEF) in Egypt. [The MEF was regrouping after Gallipolli but was also protecting the Suez Canal]. He landed at Alexandria on the 20th February.

He was only there a couple of months and on the 8th April 1916 the Battery left Alexandria to join the BEF in France, landing at Marseilles. [in all probability they would have travelled by train to Northern France.]

On 20th November 1916 he was admitted to hospital, following an incident in the 'field' and discharged after three days on the 23rd. No diagnosis is given but it was probably an infection associated with the environment, or a minor injury. He was returned to duty.

On the 24th January 1917 there is a reference to the 9th November when he was 'granted (?)'

On 20th April he was treated at 59 Field Ambulance for his contused hand and was discharged to his unit on the 24th. [Typically, the Field Ambulance would be the medical unit closest to the front line.]

On the 25th November 1917 he was evacuated to the 3rd Canadian General Hospital [at Camiers] with 'I,CT Face' [a facial injury?] he was treated there until 8th January 1918 when he rejoined his unit.

On 21st March he was appointed 'pd [paid] A/Cpl with Gunner duties'.No idea what that means!

On 21st April he was awarded the Military Medal but the entry predates the entry showing he was wounded and reverted to Bdr on 13 April. He was admitted to hospital (again not shown or burned) and then rejoined the Base. In other words was at the base depot recovering from his wound he remained there until 15th May when he rejoined his battery and once again was appointed Paid A/Crpl.

This rank was confirmed on the 20th April.

On the 30th August 1918 he was granted leave to the UK and embarked from Boulogne. The second date is 13.9.19. [this is a clerical error 13.9.18 is 14 days leave as confirmed on another document]

On the 8th November he is again admitted to hospital, No 2 General Hospital at Le Havre suffering from influenza. He is there for a month rejoining his unit on the 12th December 1918. Correspondenc to next of kin in the file indicates this was quite serious.

On the 1st January 1919 he was Apptd pd Sgt[?]

Finally on 16th April 1919 he was sent to Ripon demobilisation centre. The medical examination prior to discharge was conducted in Germany on the 10th April. He did not consider he was suffering from a disability as a result of his service.

bits in [ ] open to interpretation. Believe you have information on deployments of 130 Hvy Bty in the other post

Ken

Thanks Ken,

Don't know where to start to thank you for so much clarity on info.

The people on here are so generous with their time and research, I know little to nothing about researching wars but I try, the jargon is a bit confusing.

I'm sure his immediate family would have been very proud of him. He was my grandmothers cousin. His family were all working in the mines a reserved occupation. Still contacting Golfing clubs in the area to find where he was playing professional golf (1911 census)

Again thank you so much for the info I really appreciate it. thumbsup.png

Doreen