Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCM Medal group - Valuation for insurance purposes?

JefR

post-14846-0-53786300-1322067906.jpg

I've been invited to contribute to an exhibition currently planned to tour three museums over the next year. My input is the WW1 story of my wife's grandfather which will include his medals and associated items.

I've never considered their monetary value before, but I've been asked to provide a valuation for insurance purposes. I'm hoping that forum members with more expertise in that field might be able to help. Some of the relevant items are illustrated in the attachment (not pin sharp I'm afraid, but within the 100k limit)

The collection includes:-

1) Four Medals - DCM / 1915 Star / BWM / Victory

The DCM was awarded for overcoming an enemy machine gun post during the advance on the first day of the Battle of Messines, 7th June 1917, whilst serving with the 9th Cheshires.

2) Original DCM citation certificate - rather faded

3) A gold pocket watch - inscribed to commemorate his "...Distinguished Valour ...on the Battlefield...". Presented on 23rd Sept 1917 by the Jewish community of Newcastle-on-Tyne (Grandfather was the first Jewish serviceman in Newcastle to win the DCM).

4) A gold cameo brooch - which, together with an oak cased clock and a canteen of cutlery (both now lost), was presented by his former workmates on 22 Sept 1917 in recognition of his action. The brooch for his wife commemorates their marriage 5 days earlier during what was presumably 14 days leave from the front.

5) Six original newspaper cuttings - describing the presentation of the DCM, by the Lord Mayor of Newcastle in the Corn Exchange on 22nd Sept 1917 and the watch on the 23rd..

6) Two Identity discs - from the Cheshire Regt. Prior to July 1916 he served in the 12th Northumberland Fusiliers before being wounded near Fricourt on the Somme. After recovery, he was transferred to the 9th Cheshires.

7) Prayer Book - from the 10th General Hospital, Rouen which indicates that he was wounded again in 1918. In total he was wounded four times in his 4½ years service.

There are also other contemporary items & memorabilia, including personal photographs, a small collection of German and British machine gun and rifle bullets, a few German banknotes and coins (presumably "won" from prisoners) and a random selection of German and British insignia and uniform buttons.

I have no intention of selling these items, but since the museum needs valuations - and I would feel more comfortable with adequate insurance when they are out of my possession. I'm out of my depth on this and would welcome any advice.

Jef

PS: Apologies, I am away at the weekend and will be unable to respond to any postings until I return next week.

Hi Jef,

A very nice collection which on the open market should sell for circa £2500 to £3000. An insurance value may need to be nearer £4000.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Old Owl / ScottM

Many thanks for your help.

I had no idea that the monetary value could be that high, it comes as quite a shock - and something of a spur for me to finish writing his story

I'm most grateful for your expertise.

Best regards

Jef

• 1 month later...

A value of 3800 at auction would be an appropriate estimate in my eyes. The group itself is probably worth 3200-3300 but the fob watch (and its gold quantity) raises the value considerably. As insurance 4000 is considered correct.

I would agree with the valuation I would be comfrotable paying £3200 BUT....There is no way I would allow them to go on tour with a museum that is asking you to provide the valuation, if they went missing the insurance company would pay out what they believe the medals and other items are worth and that would be considerably less than our guestimets, scrap for the watch and price as singles for the medals, nothing for the paperwork so probably £1200. What you have there is priceless. But thats just my opinion.

I agree, especially with something so sentimental. Allowing them to tour is a wonderfull idea, but if it went wrong, you could lose something that is priceless to you. I certainly would not let my relatives' medals tour, but then again that is just my take

• 1 month later...

As to just the value the jewish factor makes a difference scarce.. nice citation and gold watch some paperwork, but I can't see any more than 2200 pounds maximum prices have stalled on Good groups at the moment stuff I have tried to sell gets no where near what I think its worth ...its priceless to you of course but to anyone else,thats what I would pay