Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Isidor Weil, Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Bad Kreuznach, Gefallen 29

ph0ebus

Hi all,

So, this fellow (born September 22, 1872) was also listed on the Alemannica Judaica site, listed in the Hoppstädten roll of honor alongside my relative Gefreiter Elias Weil and Feldwebel Leo Weil. No rank is given and the unit information I cannot decipher:

Lst. Btl. Kreuznach

Per the aforementioned website, he 'gest. an der Kriegsverletzung 29.12.1919' (rough translation, died from a war injury) at the end of 1919.

Just like Leo Weil, I only have the same circumstantial evidence that he may be related, i.e., he hailed from Hoppstädten as did my confirmed relative Elias did, and it was a tiny Jewish community, implying that two Weils in a town that small likely were related to one another.

I checked Volksbund and there is no listed grave for him, so I have no idea where he is buried.

Ideas, suggestions?

-Daniel

Daniel,

Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Bad Kreuznach (XXI. 8) was a Landsturm battalion formed under the auspices of XXI. Army Corps which subsequently became the 2nd battalion of Landstrum-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 40 (II./L.I.R. 40) on 26 September 1916.

Regards

Glenn

Daniel,

Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Bad Kreuznach (XXI. 8) was a Landsturm battalion formed under the auspices of XXI. Army Corps which subsequently became the 2nd battalion of Landstrum-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 40 (II./L.I.R. 40) on 26 September 1916.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

That is very helpful. Given my still rather limited knowledge of the German Army I am wholly unfamiliar with that unit. I am assuming it is Prussian?

-Daniel

PS, may have found a snippet on Isidor's prewar life via Google Books:

Jahrbuch für jüdische Geschichte und Literatur , Volume 14

It gives his profession as "Bibliothekar", or Librarian.

Hi Daniel,

it was indeed Prussian. XXI. Armeekorps (Saarbrücken) was along with XX. Armeekorps (Allenstein) was formed per order 29 June 1912from the 31. Division of XV. Armeekorps and a newly formed 42. Division. This new corps took over territorial responsibility from parts of VIII., XV. and XVI. Armeekorps in the West of country. Kreuznach had formerly been in VIII. Armeekorps district.

Regards

Glenn