Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

elephant guns !

mike n

What? Carry one's own rifle? Where were you brought up?

Cheers

TonyE

Ah, my pauper origins showing through again... :P ;-) But had you not thought that, if you use bearers for rifles, how many tusks can you not bring back? :D

Regards,

MikB

Tony,

Arming the servents!!! Good God man, you can't trust them with weapons. You've been treating them well again haven't you!

I fired the Boys once and a salutory experience it was too! I certainly learned that the thing should only be vehicle mounted or static, and that the rubber pad needs to be thicker!

As you know kinetic shot is never very effective when compared to chemical energy but I have always wondered what how effective the 7.92mm Panzerbusche 39 was. Now I've started thinking about this I think I shall try to get one and give it a go!! the only problem I foresee is ammunition. I wonder what that would be like on game ;) .

Rod

I think I have the Ordnance Board test results for the PzB somewhere with penetration details. I will try to find the report and post.

Regards

Tony

P.S. They may be carrying the rifles, but I have got the ammunition B)

I fired the Boys once and a salutory experience it was too!

For you, or for the poor native bearers you so callously dismissed ...? B)

... I have always wondered what how effective the 7.92mm Panzerbusche 39 was. Now I've started thinking about this I think I shall try to get one and give it a go!! the only problem I foresee is ammunition. I wonder what that would be like on game ;) .

Rod

I read somewhere it could do 25mm. of RHA @300 m and 30 degrees. There was a teargas capsule in at least some bullets, which probably did little or nothing.

I don't know what the twist rate was, but at around 4000 fps, many game bullets would probably break up centrifugally - some of the .22 JHPs do at just over 3000. Then there's impact velocity far in excess of that for a 'normal' rifle - so you'd need some quite clever bullets to expand sensibly. Given that, the flat trajectory'd probably give you a thousand-yard medium-game rifle. For very large game, I dunno if it'd make a big enough hole for a humane kill with a bullet that size.

Regards,

MikB

I think I have the Ordnance Board test results for the PzB somewhere with penetration details. I will try to find the report and post.

Regards

Tony

I found the O.B. Proc. It is No. 13,948 of 15 September 1941 and states:

"2. Firing was against plates placed against the open door of the hull of a light reconnaissance car, the hull being rendered reasonably airtight. A splash card was placed inside the hull against the rear wall, 4 ft. from the plate.

All firings were at 100 yards, normal impact. For details see Appendix A."

...and of course Appendix A is missing from my copy!

I should be able to get hold of it.

Regards,

TonyE

If any Member is still interested in the original thread theme, look in the PDF version of this:

http://www.archive.org/details/newcornhill47londuoft

Hesketh-Pritchard has a two-piece article inside, and he mentions elephant guns in use in France.

Harry