Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

elephant guns !

mike n

It was far more than just a few brought over by an officer.

The problem was one of defeating German loopholes and sniper shields, which the available .303 bullets could not defeat (Mark VIIS and VIIP)

Hesketh-Pritchard ("Sniping in France") talks of using a .333 ich Jefffries and set up a fund to purchase telescopic sighted sporting rifles and other eqipment.

In September 1915 the Director of Artillery asked for 2,000 rifles of .470 calibre with hardened bullets. This resulted in a circular letter to the gun trade asking for Express rifles with solid ammunition. Eventually the Ministry of Munition purchased 52 rifles but soon cancelled any further purchases as the average cost per rifle was 20 guineas whilst a Lee Enfield cost £4.

Attempts were later made to re-barrel P.'14 rifles to .470" and to develop armour piercing ammunition for the .276" P.'13 rifle, but the problem was solved by the introduction of the Mark VIIW armour piercing ammunition which was capable of defeating the German armour at the ranges needed.

Picture 1 shows various Express rifle cartridges purchased by the army compared to a normal .303 inch Mark VII ball round.

They are:

1. .303 ball Mark VII

2. .500 Nitro 3 inch

3. .500 Nitro 3 1/4 inch

4. .450 Nitro 3 1/4 inch

5. .450 No.2 Nitro

6. .475 No.2 Nitro

7. .475 No.2 Jeffry Nitro

Picture 2 shows:

.333 jeffry

.577 Nitro 3 1/4 inch

.600 Nitro 3 inch.

There is a full description of these and the military contracts in Part 2 of my secondary weapon series. PM for details.

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-30560300-1321998992.jpg

post-8515-0-18225800-1321999299.jpg

Tony

It was against the loopholes and shields that they were used against, as I said before previously. I have seen similar or the same ammo a friend has a similar long and large caliber rounds as well

Tony

It was against the loopholes and shields that they were used against, as I said before previously.

Not in this thread

What's the 'blue cap' on no.6,Tony?

It's actually the lead tip of a soft nose bullet. I did not have a round with a solid bullet when I took the picture to illustrate the different case sizes.

Interestingly, deep in the bowels of the Imperial War Museum they have some examples of these Express cartridges which came to them from the army when the Museum was opened in 1922(?). Their example of the .600 Nitro Express has a soft nosed bullet, suggesting that not all the rounds were "solids".

Regards

TonyE

I recall seeing a reprint of a contemporary advertisement by (IIRC) Kynoch, showing holes punched in 5/8" thick tool steel plate by solids in the .450 - .500 calibre range. At the time I was familiar with steel specs., and though I can't remember the designation it went under, I think it was equivalent to B01 or BD3 in more modern terms, which are both very substantial materials indeed.

Regards,

MikB

Tony, I don't want to sound technical here - because I'm not! - but the only round that approaches streamlined (hence aerodynamicly efficient?) is the .303 Enfield. Would the blunt or outright flat (I'm sure there's a technical term involving "ogives" and such) profile of the other rounds have affected their effectiveness, i.e. slowed them down and reduced their impact velocity on the target?

Those Members prepared to struggle away from the mud of the Western Front may be interested in this tale.

After the Armistice had been declared fighting continued in Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) until the news from Europe arrived.

During the final contact a German reconnaissance party approached a river crossing that had a rubber factory positioned on the far bank.

A handful of British men manned the factory which was constructed of galvanised iron sheeting. One of these chaps, a civilian, was firing from up in the roof with an elephant gun.

The sound of his gun firing was magnified within the factory so much that the local German commander thought that he was being engaged by a light artillery piece (muzzle-loading cannon were still in use in this theatre), and so he did not cross the river but withdrew.

I do not think that the lad firing the elephant gun ever qualified for a war medal!

Harry

Tony, I don't want to sound technical here - because I'm not! - but the only round that approaches streamlined (hence aerodynamicly efficient?) is the .303 Enfield. Would the blunt or outright flat (I'm sure there's a technical term involving "ogives" and such) profile of the other rounds have affected their effectiveness, i.e. slowed them down and reduced their impact velocity on the target?

It certainly would at extended ranges beyond a couple of hundred yards - and the velocities were generally lower than the 2400-odd feet/sec of the Mk.VII 303, so their trajectory would have required more exact rangefinding at longer distances too.

But the 303 was designed and developed for use at the longer ranges, whereas big-game rifles were never expected to be used much beyond 100 yards, and most kills would occur at 50 yards or less. Therefore streamlining of bullets was scarcely more important than for pistol rounds. What was important was retained bullet integrity and destructive effect, in penetrating the very substantial bone structures of such game without serious deviation from the line of flight, which a long sloping ogive doesn't promote - a blunt or flat nose delivers more instantaneous force to an impact area on hard material than a collapsing point. A long ogive would also make the complete round longer for a given bullet weight, thereby potentially increasing reloading time under stress and reducing the quantity of ammunition the hunter could practically carry.

Regards,

MikB

There is not much I can add to Mik's explanation, other than to illustrate a couple of the points he makes.

The regular .303 Mark VII ball round has a muzzle velocity of 2450 fps and at 100 yards 2236 fps. Energy at 100 yards is 1940 ft. lbs.

The same figures for the .577 inch Nitro Express are 2050 fps, 1874 fps and 5860 ft. lbs.

You can see that at that short distance both retain 91% of their initiial velocity, so bullet shape has had little effect. However, the .577 has three times the energy of the .303 to smash its way through a sniper shield. The attached picture is of a .577 NE of the type actually in use in WWI. This round was sectioned by the Imperial War Museum and was part of their original display when the Museum opened. You can see how the envelope is thickened round the nose portion of the bullet, originally for the purpose of breaking through the heavy skulls and bones of large African game, exactly as Mik described.

As an aside, I once did some tests on an old trophy head of an African buffalo, and at 50 yards a .303 richocheted of the skull!

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-64070600-1322738829.jpg

.......I do not think that the lad firing the elephant gun ever qualified for a war medal!

Harry

He probably did, but when they called out his name he did not hear because he was deaf!

Cheers

tonyE

Thanks for the comprehensive answers, gentlemen. If you were hiding behind your sniper plate when one of those rounds came a-knocking, the next sound heard might well be Saint Peter's voice!

Would I be right in saying that firing one of these larger rifles lying prone would not be for the faint hearted? Were these rifles scope sighted or just relied on getting close and using the iron sights?

James

Firing one of the larger calibre rifles prone would never be a good idea. They were intended to be fired standing up and leaning into the gun, and then rocking back with the recoil. Many years ago I owned a .450 - 3 1/4" double rifle which was reasonably comfortable to shoot in this manner, but I only fired it a few times because of the ammo cost/availability. I did put two rounds though a .577" double though and that was something else!

Most of these rifles, particularly the heavy calibre ones, were used with iron sights, although it is perfectly practical to fit a 'scope to a double. Some like the .333 Jeffrey that Hesketh-Pritchard used were telescopic sighted though.

On a slightly different tack, I know of two 6.5mm Mannlicher sporting rifles that bear British military acceptance and proof marks which were apparently taken into service in WWI as expedient sniping rifles. One, by Jeffery, has a side mounted telescopic sight whilst the other by Fraser has express sights and a tang mounted aperture sight. So far I have found no documentary reference to these.

Regards

TonyE

Firing one of the larger calibre rifles prone would never be a good idea. They were intended to be fired standing up and leaning into the gun, and then rocking back with the recoil. Many years ago I owned a .450 - 3 1/4" double rifle which was reasonably comfortable to shoot in this manner...

My own experience firing the roughly-comparable .458 Winchester Magnum was similar. I made a pantomime of emptying all sharp objects from my pockets first, and fired crouching with elbows supported on knees (I could do that, then). What I thought of the recoil was not so much that it was severe, as that it went on for an awful long time :D . I wouldn't've wanted to fire it prone either - there's much less flexible 'give' in that position.

It may not have been particularly easy to find a suitable spot from which to engage an enemy sniper plate without exposure, when using a rifle whose recoil placed constraints on shooting position. I wonder if that's why HP seems to've had a special regard for 333 Jeffery, which seemed well capable of doing the job, and perhaps better suited to the conditions.

Regards,

MikB

As an aside, I once did some tests on an old trophy head of an African buffalo, and at 50 yards a .303 richocheted of the skull!

Regards

TonyE

As a kid in Africa I had the frightening experience of being present when someone inadvisedly tried to shoot a cape buffalo with a MkVII round (the old hands all used MkVI or the similar Kynoch commercial round). The bullet struck the boss of the horns and a great cloud of red dust came off the buffalo due to the shock. The buffalo started, but then just looked around - still chewing the cud. Luckily for us, it didn't seem too perturbed by the attempt on its life...

When I read this thread I thought of this well know image. I know its not an elephant gun per se, but I bet it would have no problem dropping an elephant! This is a German anti tank rifle found by New Zealanders at Grevillers (according to the picture caption) which goes on to say that these guns were apparently not very effective. I'm also reminded of one of these which used to be on display in the military section of Derby Museum. As a young lad I used to stand in awe of the thing.

Dave Upton

post-23614-0-61909200-1322856176.jpg

That's a pussycat. You need to fire a REAL anti-tank rifle!

Actually I think the Mauser 13mm rifle was quite effective, and it remained in service with several countries until well after the war. In fact, when Captain Boys was developing the Stanchion gun (which eventually carried his name after he died) in the mid thirties, the Mauser was used as the control weapon in the penetration tests.

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-98623000-1322921758.jpg

Would the idea be that the round once through the armour plate do the killing or would it effectively make shrapnell out of the plate itself.ie one single hit on front of plate producing shotgun effect at rear.john

I think it was a mixture of all those things, depending on the calibre. A heavy bullet that penetrated completely would both do serious damage to anyone behind it and also send a plug or spray of possibly molten steel ahead of it. Even if a bullet did not penetrate completely it would probably cause the inside to scab just like a HESH round.

...and thats ignoring the behaviour of the sniper plate itself when hit with a couple of foot-tons of energy!

Regards

TonyE

That's a pussycat. You need to fire a REAL anti-tank rifle!

Actually I think the Mauser 13mm rifle was quite effective, and it remained in service with several countries until well after the war. In fact, when Captain Boys was developing the Stanchion gun (which eventually carried his name after he died) in the mid thirties, the Mauser was used as the control weapon in the penetration tests.

Regards

TonyE

From the image it looks as if a round has just been loosed off and the recoil has kicked the weapon into the air. Would that be a correct interpolation? The structure's underneath it looks to me like a pair of skids? Are these to help soften the fall as it returns to the firing position?

Dave Upton

I think it was a mixture of all those things, depending on the calibre. A heavy bullet that penetrated completely would both do serious damage to anyone behind it and also send a plug or spray of possibly molten steel ahead of it. Even if a bullet did not penetrate completely it would probably cause the inside to scab just like a HESH round.

...and thats ignoring the behaviour of the sniper plate itself when hit with a couple of foot-tons of energy!

Regards

TonyE

From the damage I saw on an advert, I'd think it quite possible that a sheared cylindrical slug of steel, as if from a very poorly-made press tool, might precede the bullet out of the disengaged side of the plate.

As for the Panzerbuechse and the heavy A/T rifles as elephant guns, I think if you had to go tracking your quarry for miles through the bush on foot, after an hour or three you'd probably begin to see sense in the design of the traditional double rifle... :D

Regards,

MikB