Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

connaught hospital

julie pearce

Whilst training prior to posting to France my grandad was admitted to Connaught hospital, Aldershot with what appears from abbreviations in his records sebaceous dermatitis to chest and back, and was hospitalised for 4 days. This was August 1917. On looking at the list of hospitals on the Long Long Trail it was a hospital for venereal disease. It seems strange he was admitted to there, but would this be due to finding a bed that's empty rather than admission to a general medical ward?

Julie

Hi Julie, I wonder if this may have been the closest hospital that could treat fungal infections...just a thought

Jon

Julie

The information on the LLT is misleading. At that time (August 1917) Connaught had a total of 1100 beds, of which 660 were used for a mixture of venereal cases/mental cases/prisoners. The other 440 beds were general medical beds, used for any non-surgical case needing treatment. So plenty of ordinary beds for your grandfather.

Sue

Hello Julie

The Connaught Hospital was a permanent military hospital at Aldershot, established before the war. It may have treated many VD cases but I don't think its activities were solely confined to that field. It may simply have been either the nearest hospital to his camp, or the one with vacant beds at the time.

Ron