Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

25th July 1914

michaeldr

Also, the ball really starts to roll:

"Sir G.Buchanan to Sir Edward Grey (Received July 25)

St. Petersburg, July 25, 1914.

The Government are much engrossed in events which have occurred and with the despatch by Austria-Hungary of an ultimatum to Servia. The Government are intently following the development of the Serbo-Austrian conflict, with respect to which Russia cannot remain indifferent."

"Sir M. de Bunsen to Sir Edward Grey

Vienna, July 25, 1914

Language of the press this morning leaves the impression that the surrender of Servia is neither expected nor really desired. It is officially announced that the Austrian Minister is instructed to leave Belgrade with staff of legation failing unconditional acceptance of note at 6 P.M. to-day..."

"Sir Edward Grey to Sir G. Buchanan

Foreign Office, July 25, 1914

Your telegram...Austria and Servia....I do not consider that public opinion here would or ought to sanction our going to war in the Servian quarrel. But if war does take place we may be drawn into it by development of other issues, and I am therefore anxious to prevent war. The brusque, sudden, and peremptory character of the Austrian d,marche makes it almost inevitable that in very short time Austria and Russia will both have mobilized against each other. In this event, it seems to me that the only chance of peace is for the other four Powers to join in asking Austria and Russia not to cross frontier, and to give time for the four Powers acting at Vienna and St. Petersburg to endeavor to arrange matters. If Germany will adopt this view, I am strongly of opinion that France and ourselves should act upon it. Italy no doubt would gladly co-operate. But the co-operation

of Germany would be essential. No diplomatic intervention or mediation would be tolerated by either Russia or Austria unless it was clearly impartial and included friends or allies of both."

"Sir Edward Grey to Sir H. Rumbold

Foreign Office, July 25, 1914

....We should now apparently be soon confronted by a moment at which both Austria and Russia would have mobilised....German Ambassador read me a telegram from German Foreign Office that Germany had not known beforehand and had had no more than other Powers to do with the stiff terms of Austrian note to Servia, but that having launched the note Austria could not draw back....I enorsed his observation, saying that between Servia and Austria I felt no title to intervene, but as soon as the question became one between Austria and Russia

it was a question of the peace of Europe, in which we must all take a hand...."

"Sir H. Rumbold to Sir Edward Grey

Berlin, July 25, 1914

....Secretary of State said that he did not know what Austria-Hungary had ready on the spot, but he admitted quite freely that Austro-Hungraian Government wished to give the Servians a lesson, and that they meant to take military action. He also admitted that Servian Government could not swallow certain of the Austro-Hungarian demands. Secretary of State said that a reassuring feature of situation was that Count Berchtold had sent for Russian representative at Vienna and had told him that Austria-Hungary had no intention of seizing Servian territory. This step should, in his opinion, exercise a calming influence at St. Petersburg. I asked whether it was not to be feared that, in taking military action against Servia, Austria would danerously excite public opinion in Russia. He said he thought not. He remained of opinion that crisis could be localised. I said that telegrams from Russia in this morining's papers did not look very reassuring, but he maintained his optimistic view with regard to Russia. He said that he had given the Russian Government to understand that last thing Germany wanted was a general war, and he would do all in his power to prevent such a calamity....

Confidential.

....French Ambassador here learns from Vienna that Austrians are ready to act with eight army corps."

(My bold)

Chris