Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

banned hospital photos book

Guest Brisbane Bob

Guest Brisbane Bob

Just today a distant relation sent a photo which he says appeared in the Daily Mail (UK) newspaper as part of an advertismement for a book published on "banned wartime photos", the picture shows a group of amputees arranged on either stools or wheelchairs. Most are minus both legs, my grandfather was the "lucky" one having still his left leg.

His name was Bill Stacey, sorry I do not know who the other gentlemen are, or the hospital where this was taken, but would have been either late 1917 or early 1918, as he was discharged Dec 1918.

Sorry I have not included the picture as it is about 500 k, but if any interested contributors would be interested in a copy, just send a message to me.

Question is anyone out there heard or seen the Daily Mail Ad or knows anything about the book?

cheers

Bob Campbell

Brisbane

Bob

I believe the book Covenants with Death contained many photos that had been banned immediatly after the war. I once saw a near mint copy of this book with a label on the front stating that it had been published by the Daily Mail and warned that it contained many horrific pictures , which indeed it does.

Charlie

Bob

I believe the book Covenants with Death contained many photos that had been banned immediatly after the war. I once saw a near mint copy of this book with a label on the front stating that it had been published by the Daily Mail and warned that it contained many horrific pictures , which indeed it does.

Charlie

This Book had a sealed section @ the end with what were considered the most horrific pictures,you had to break the seal to view these pages!

I seem to remember there was quite a discussion on this book before. It is not too difficult to find - I have seen a couple of copies at fairs this year but finding a copy with the seal intact is nigh on impossible.

A few pics:

post-6-1090953668.jpg

Is that similar to The First World War, a large illustrated black book with a red poppy emblem on it, first published in 1933 (very prescient since it ends with pictures of Hitler and Mussolini etc. and is captioned solely by with question mark).

That was published by the Mail or the Mirror, and I have it somewhere.

Richard

Is that similar to The First World War, a large illustrated black book with a red poppy emblem on it, first published in 1933 (very prescient since it ends with pictures of Hitler and Mussolini etc. and is captioned solely by with question mark).

That was published by the Mail or the Mirror, and I have it somewhere.

Richard

I think this was a sort of "Companion Volume" to the "First World War" as both were Daily Mail Books I Believe,With regard to "The Covenant of Death"I would imagine that to find an unbroken seal would be virtually impossible after 70 odd years~who could resist the Seal?

The 1930s saw the first real mass publication of Great War Books,I suppose that by then the wounds had begun to heal & many old Soldiers began to get their Reminiscences down in print~Many have become Standard Works on the War.

Guest AmericanDoughboy
Just today a distant relation sent a photo which he says appeared in the Daily Mail (UK) newspaper as part of an advertismement for a book published on "banned wartime photos", the picture shows a group of amputees arranged on either stools or wheelchairs. Most are minus both legs, my grandfather was the "lucky" one having still his left leg.

His name was Bill Stacey, sorry I do not know who the other gentlemen are, or the hospital where this was taken, but would have been either late 1917 or early 1918, as he was discharged Dec 1918.

Sorry I have not included the picture as it is about 500 k, but if any interested contributors would be interested in a copy, just send a message to me.

Question is anyone out there heard or seen the Daily Mail Ad or knows anything about the book?

cheers

Bob Campbell

Brisbane

Brisbane,

Is that photograph you are speaking of this one here?

-Doughboy

post-6-1090969160.jpg