Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Value of Medal?

TParker96

Hi,

After recently recieving my great, great grandfathers WWI Victory Medal from a distant cousin. I was wondering if somebody would be able to tell me how much it was worth. I HAVE NO INTENTIONS OF EVER SELLING THE MEDAL as it is a family heirloom but i was just curious to find out how much it was worth.

The soldier was R/24410 Rifleman James Arthur Gardiner, 18th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps. He was killed in action on 14th June 1917 at the age of 30. He did also recieve the British War Medal but i'm not sure where that one has gone.

Thanks,

Thomas

but it sounds like you are aware of its real value which is great.

Sweet,marra thumbsup.png

I'd go for a bit more than 25 for a kia to the Rifles though.

I gave up advising on or working out casualty medal prices years ago, if you have a big enough audience like ebay then it won't fetch less than the 25 quid thats for sure. Having once spent £800+ on a single Victory that was of no interest except to me and the underbidder I speak from experience.

I would say £25 to £35 is a ball park price for a single casualty Victory Medal, of course other factors can come into play such as condition, unit, specific date ie 1/7/16, and the price can be much higher. Of course, in your case the medal is priceless and this is probably the best way to value it, cherish it :thumbsup:

I gave up advising on or working out casualty medal prices years ago, if you have a big enough audience like ebay then it won't fetch less than the 25 quid thats for sure. Having once spent £800+ on a single Victory that was of no interest except to me and the underbidder I speak from experience.

800 pounds on a single Victory medal that was of no particular significance except to you & the underbidder, :w00t: what the heck was it???

You may choose not to disclose this of course and that would be perfectly acceptable. I'm just intrigued!

Incidentally, based on recent ebay prices I too would value the Victory medal in question (KRRC, KIA 14/06/17) at around 25 - 30 pounds. 35 pounds tops.

800 pounds on a single Victory medal that was of no particular significance except to you & the underbidder, :w00t: what the heck was it???

You may choose not to disclose this of course and that would be perfectly acceptable. I'm just intrigued!

Incidentally, based on recent ebay prices I too would value the Victory medal in question (KRRC, KIA 14/06/17) at around 25 - 30 pounds. 35 pounds tops.

He was an officer casualty in the Yorkshire Regiment, one of 2 I had an interest in (I paid well over the odds for the other one as well but thats a different story). I need to be a bit delicate because of the circumstances but many years ago I had arranged to meet an older resident of the village to look at some diaries belonging to the officer, but someone had visited and spoken to the old lady a short time previously, she had no idea who the visitor was but she had given him all of the officers paperwork including several journals which he said he would return, he never did. I believe the diary was a complete account of his service as an O/R, CSM during the Battle of the Somme and later as an officer in the Yorkshire Regiment. When the item came up I got into an unfortunate and expensive bidding war with the person I believe (know) has the paperwork and possibly his other medals.

If the person is reading this and the journals are ever published, well.......

He was an officer casualty in the Yorkshire Regiment, one of 2 I had an interest in (I paid well over the odds for the other one as well but thats a different story). I need to be a bit delicate because of the circumstances but many years ago I had arranged to meet an older resident of the village to look at some diaries belonging to the officer, but someone had visited and spoken to the old lady a short time previously, she had no idea who the visitor was but she had given him all of the officers paperwork including several journals which he said he would return, he never did. I believe the diary was a complete account of his service as an O/R, CSM during the Battle of the Somme and later as an officer in the Yorkshire Regiment. When the item came up I got into an unfortunate and expensive bidding war with the person I believe (know) has the paperwork and possibly his other medals. If the person is reading this and the journals are ever published, well.......

That's really sad, to think that someone could ask to borrow treasured diaries & journals off an old lady with the expressed promise of returning them, only to dupe the old lady and keep them. Society was much more trusting in years gone by, but there was always the odd rascal who couldn't care less.

We are only care-takers of all these artefacts because we can't take 'em with us, so at some point (unless they are deliberately binned out of guilt) these war diaries, journals & medals will re-surface. It's just a case of being vigilant and waiting for them to appear on ebay or some dealers list etc.

One webiste you may find useful for checking past items sold and for keeping an eye on future auctions is the following:

http://www.artfact.c...cfm?srchScope=p

Just type in key words for upcoming auctions and also check the archives to see what has already been sold. Hope this helps, regards Andrew

Thats a coincidence, someone put me onto that site the day before yesterday, I'm also looking for info on a portrait painter, Marguerite S. Arnold.

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your help & quick replies. I just remembered that we also have his Death Plaque so i'm not sure how that would affect the value to be honest.

But i will always treasure them as a great family heirloom and for as long as i live they shall never leave the family.

Thanks again,

Thomas

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your help & quick replies. I just remembered that we also have his Death Plaque so i'm not sure how that would affect the value to be honest.

But i will always treasure them as a great family heirloom and for as long as i live they shall never leave the family.

Thanks again,

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

The Plaque will add value to his VM and put it up to circa £90 for the pair. I should see if you can locate his BWM as this will increase the value again to circa £160--possibly a little more.

Robert